Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• It would have been absurdity whichever direction I ventured.

Topic: Why did we stop inventing gods? (Read 626 times) previous topic - next topic

Why did we stop inventing gods?
Why did we stop inventing gods?

The ancients were quite good at inventing new gods. The bible shows that the Jews invented many gods before deciding that god could not be defined and settled for "I am", as the greatest expression of god. "I am" as spoken as a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJkNs512Lsk

Jews, in their oral tradition, gave man the last word in what god and his policies were to be. They accepted that the man they chose as head Rabbi of their Divine council had the power to overrule their written tradition. Man's words, not an imaginary god, had the final say on policy. Man was supreme and not one of the imaginary gods.

Christianity then changed much of the morals and policies of their newly invented god, Yahweh, and also transferred the power of god to a man. Jesus. Jesus was now placed at the power seat at the right hand of his newly invented god and placed Yahweh in the right hemisphere of the brain, as shown in the art of the day as depicted by Michelangelo in his creation painting in the Vatican.

Islam then invented Allah, and so far, rightfully named him the last god to be invented. Foolish but true to date.

I see that search for a god as a search for the best laws and rules to live life by. After all, we cannot follow an imaginary god and can only follow the laws and rules that those imaginary gods has spoken, recognizing of course, that only a person can speak those laws and rules and that it was really a wise person who was uttering those words.

Gnostic Christians always saw those invented gods, specifically Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, as immoral and not worthy of us and that is why they named those gods as immoral and vile demiurges. This is not to say that those demiurges did not have some good policies but only says that a better god could and should be invented. Gnostic Christianity lost the god wars and was decimated the moment Christianity gained political power which they used to end freedom of religion.

Are immoral demiurges like Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, the best that mankind can come up with?

Why do you think we stopped inventing gods and settled for demonstrably immoral ones?

Regards
DL

P.S. Gods are the opium of the people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA

Re: Why did we stop inventing gods?
Reply #1
People have stopped?

I thought we had a Rastafarian smilie.

• MikeS
Reply #2
You mean "Pastafarian" don't you?

Flying Spaghetti Monster for the win.

Reply #3

No I meant the Rastas.
The FSM was a joke.
AFAIK the Rastas were serious mon.

And I'm sure they are not the last ones to have a go at non-ironic God making.

I'm not sure if L. Ron Hubbard counts.
He started a religion to win a bet but did he invent any Gods for it?

• MikeS
Reply #4

No I meant the Rastas.
The FSM was a joke.
Blasphemy!!!!
May you eat sticky rice and tofu for all eternity.
AFAIK the Rastas were serious mon.

And I'm sure they are not the last ones to have a go at non-ironic God making.

I'm not sure if L. Ron Hubbard counts.
He started a religion to win a bet but did he invent any Gods for it?
I'm pretty sure anyone who says "God Dammit" is inventing and invoking a unique one every time.

ETA: Although the 'God of Hitting your thumb with a Hammer' was invented long ago and thrives on daily 'sacrifices' even in modern times.
  • Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 06:01:00 PM by MikeS

Reply #5
I think we still have a way to go to perfect the idea.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #6

Secular law has bested what the religious gods have given, but sure, we have yet to find the perfect laws and rules to live by.

That is why Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers and set aside the god they think they have found and raise the bar of excellence perpetually.

To accept any god or set of laws and rules is idol worship and even secularists have to guard against that evil.

Regards
DL

Reply #7
That's the easy part.

Reply #8

Secular law has bested what the religious gods have given, but sure, we have yet to find the perfect laws and rules to live by.

That is why Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers and set aside the god they think they have found and raise the bar of excellence perpetually.

To accept any god or set of laws and rules is idol worship and even secularists have to guard against that evil.

Regards
DL

But do you make the mistake of building on a foundation?

Reply #9
That's the easy part.

Given the number of sheeple, most will not find it easy to think for themselves instead of just following the herd.

Regards
DL

Reply #10

Regards
DL

But do you make the mistake of building on a foundation?

A foundation that demands free thinking, yes.

That trait is part of why Christianity decimated us the moment they gained political power.

Freedom of though was outlawed for many years thanks to Christianity helping to usher in Inquisitions and the Dark Ages of freedom of religion.

BTW, we all build on a foundation of instincts. Google Jung and Freud's Father Complex and see how you yourself are being pushed by your instincts to try to become the fittest of our species.

Regards
DL
  • Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 06:47:47 PM by Greatest Iam

Reply #11
So, the problem is power rather than belief. I agree.

Reply #12
So, the problem is power rather than belief. I agree.

Power is good when applied properly and morally.

Most do seem to abuse it when they have it though. But in our hierarchical systems, we have to give it to someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AG_ororx8E

Regards
DL