Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: we are trapped please help

Topic: Replaced the battery on my Nexus 5 (Read 410 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Replaced the battery on my Nexus 5
About a week or two ago my phone got to the point that it would completely shut down whenever the battery dropped below about 80% charge.  No "low battery warning" or anything, just full on shut down.  Just a few minutes on the charge and it's showing 100% again, so basically I couldn't do shit unless it was plugged in.

I ordered a new one off of Amazon.  Every option had mixed reviews and averaged 3.5-4 stars, so it was a bit of a crapshoot.  It's not supposed to be user replaceable so kind of a hassle, but not too bad once I split the case.  The battery looks like a genuine LG battery and the right part number though it is smaller than the original.  Maybe they swell as they age?  Anyway lots of people complaining about batteries purchased on Amazons being knockoffs or old batteries with a sticker over the manufacturing date.  Mine is just a few months old, so unless someone counterfeited the entire label, it might actually be legit. 

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Re: Replaced the battery on my Nexus 5
Reply #1
Did it solve your 80% and done problem?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #2
Will report back in a few days.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #3
After a couple hours, it's still only showing 20% charged.  :dunno:

Shutting down so it can charge overnight.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #4
Just put the two batteries together and you'll have 100%. :parrot:
Truth is out of style

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #5
Nope it was still at 20% this morning.  I used it on the bus ride in to work and ran it down to 15% but at least the "low battery" warning kicked in and it didn't do a complete shut down.  Plugged in at work (different USB cable) and it recognizes that it's plugged in, but won't charge.

Going through various troubleshooting online, tried the power off through bootloader and charge.  That appeared to be charging in power-off mode (I kept it off for maybe 30 minutes), but when I turned it back on it was still only at 15%.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #6
Apparently, I didn't get the temp sensor reconnected properly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/help/battery-issue-charge-cold-t3100267

• MikeS
Reply #7
It's not supposed to be user replaceable so kind of a hassle, but not too bad once I split the case.
Apparently, I didn't get the temp sensor reconnected properly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/help/battery-issue-charge-cold-t3100267
What have we learned?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #8
Fuck you, that's what I learned.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #9
Got home, opened it up, disconnected and reconnected the new battery, still won't charge. Swapped the original back, it charges fine.  Tried the replacement again, no charge.

New battery is on the way back, and I'm back to a phone that dies after about 10 minutes of screen use.
There are 4-5 different options on Amazon, so I'll try another one.  Everyone one of them has mixed reviews, so I wonder if it's just a thing with these batteries that 20% or so are crap no matter who makes it or who you buy it from.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #10
 :cheer:  Got a different battery and it's charging just fine.  :cheer:

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #11
They don't work when they're fucked.
Truth is out of style

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #12
I hereby declare my battery replacement a complete success.  New battery is behaving much like the original when new. No, I don't have stats.