Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Themes aka templates aka skins (Read 1271 times) previous topic - next topic

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Re: Themes aka templates aka skins
Reply #50
I mean the box in which you write your comments.

What will Ctrl + F5 do for me?

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #51
Oh, hey I never knew you could do that!  neat.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #52
It forces a reload of the CSS. CSS is cached by your browser, so edits won't show until you force a reload of the file.

Anyway, the box in which I write my comments has text set to #444, which is dark grey. It's actually slighter darker than the text in posts (which is currently #555 and was #666 originally). So I'm not sure how you're getting pale text in that box.
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #53
I just measured it (very clunky method - screenshot into Paint, paint dropper, RGB => hex)

I get #555555 (RGB: 85 85  85) for the text in posts as you say) which is fine, but #666666 (RGB: 102 102 102) in the combox (box to write comments in).  And that's what it looks like - lighter in combox than posted post.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #54
Aha. You're using the most basic quick reply form. Will switch to that and have a look.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #55
Sorted.

By the way, don't you like having BBC buttons in the quick reply?
Truth is out of style

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #56
I assume she means the quick reply edit box.  You know, where you type in replies.

nevermind.  xpost

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #57
Yeah there's three different versions. Bog basic textarea with no frills, BBC editor with buttons and smileys, and WYSIWYG editor with buttons and smileys.

I always use the second option. Pingu is using the first. Anyway it is sorted for all basic textareas now.
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #58
OK, I selected the wysywyg editor.  That is now nice and dark.

And the QR box is now RGB 85 85 85 (which I think is hex #5555555).  Cool, and thanks!  Looking good!  I love lots of shades of grey.  hur hur.

ETA: Goes really nicely with warm brown rat.

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #59
What BBC buttons in the Quick Reply?

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #60
OK, got 'em.  Didn't see it was a separate check box.

Now, can you change green accents to brown/yellow or blue?

Then I'm happy :)

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #61
Oh, now, when you quote someone, in the quote box, quoted text is in some serif font (looks like Times New Roman), although your added text shows up as a sans serif font (Ariel?)

It posts OK, it's just weird having this serif font in the comment box while you are typing.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #62
What green accents? You'll have to be specific. Telepathy isn't my forte.

And I'm not delving into the depths of the editor js at this stage. I'll only undertake that level of lunacy once it seriously begins to annoy me. Since I never use the WYSIWYG option anyway, I find it easy to live with. :D
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #63
Oh I see what "green accents" you mean. What you mean is "Hey Os, you know how the active button in the WYSIWYG editor is highlighted a pale green? Can you change that highlighting to brown/yellow or blue?"

This is rather more communicative than "Now, can you change green accents to brown/yellow or blue?".

[/bug reports 101]
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #64
  • Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:38:08 PM by Pingu

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #65
Seen that before. It's been around for years. ;)
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #66
Yeah, I know.

Reply #67
That makes more sense. Thanks. So next question is how would using a coloured background reduce the problem? Any ideas on the mechanism there?

Well, it could reduce the salience of the white stuff.  Less stimulating to the WHERE pathway. The Irlen people thing that specific filters work for specific people - it could be that there are some frequencies that their WHERE pathways are less sensitive to.  But nobody has a very clear idea.  I just find it interesting that people talk about the "rivers of white".  I had one participant in one of my studies for whom yellow worked really well.  He tried to describe the effect.  He seemed to be saying that it made the black text look as though it was hovering above the background, where without it it looked as though the black was holes in the background.  And I've talked to some other people with similar descriptions. And they also often say, it makes the letters "stand still".
Would Chromostereopsis be relevant?
If that is even the word I mean.
I'm thinking about bright red and blue beside each other causing certain visual effects.

Reply #68
Personally both the non-silence ones are still too pale for me. An off-white background is fine, but I'd prefer a much darker text colour. It might be to do with the font though, Its different from TR, and iirc a fraction smaller too. Having said that I'm happy enough using silence, but I've never felt the need to use white on black/grey before other than on Tapatalk on a phone.

Maybe I'm just getting old.
Why do I bother?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #69
That makes more sense. Thanks. So next question is how would using a coloured background reduce the problem? Any ideas on the mechanism there?

Well, it could reduce the salience of the white stuff.  Less stimulating to the WHERE pathway. The Irlen people thing that specific filters work for specific people - it could be that there are some frequencies that their WHERE pathways are less sensitive to.  But nobody has a very clear idea.  I just find it interesting that people talk about the "rivers of white".  I had one participant in one of my studies for whom yellow worked really well.  He tried to describe the effect.  He seemed to be saying that it made the black text look as though it was hovering above the background, where without it it looked as though the black was holes in the background.  And I've talked to some other people with similar descriptions. And they also often say, it makes the letters "stand still".
I'm thinking about bright red and blue beside each other causing certain visual effects.
Dunno, but when working with themes I have noticed that my perception of a colour is greatly affected by the surrounding colours.
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #70

Dunno, but when working with themes I have noticed that my perception of a colour is greatly affected by the surrounding colours.

Absolutely.  Which is why this illusion works:

Reply #71
FYI, I've made Storm Cloud the default theme for the forum.  Color-wise it's more like our first forum, and I think it's a little easier on the eyes.  If you don't like Storm Cloud and would rather have the green and white theme back, choose the ElkArte Default theme

Click the button with your name on the top right corner of the page, then click "Look and Layout".  The top button on the look and layout page takes you to all the themes we currently have installed.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #72
Ha. Just noticed that on that page, Storm Cloud has the wrong thumbnail. Spuds messed up. :D

Anyway if you find bugs with it, let me know. IIRC there were some that I knew about, but hadn't fixed due to not using the theme anyway.
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #73
Can the default text colour for the banner announcments in Storm Cloud not be municipal green?

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #74
Other than that, I'm pretty happy!

One more thing though....

Can the Base smileys group just have one row of small smileys?  I could use the real estate.