Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational Mafia: Where paranoia and misplaced trust reign supreme.

Topic: gunnerj callout: are there any good historical anecdotes that aren't bullshit? (Read 993 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: gunnerj callout: are there any good historical anecdotes that aren't bullshit?
Reply #25
Everyone laughed at Columbus not because they thought the work was flat, but because they thought it was much bigger than he did, and he'd die before he got to the Indes. Turns out they were right.
Why do I bother?

• F X
  • The one and only
Re: gunnerj callout: are there any good historical anecdotes that aren't bullshit?
Reply #26
for a set of further examples, there is the tendency of the human race to give credit where it isn't due.  discoveries are almost never credited to the person who actually made them.  and when we consider people to be geniuses (whether scientific, military, political, etc.), that is largely a function of luck and the dumb human need to worship heroes.
Actually it is often a small group that re-writes history and steals credit, and most people are gullible sheep who swallow what the wolves feed them. 
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #27
TioH, do you know of any historians who have examined the connections between the emergence of compulsory education in the US and the civil war/ secession decision? Not saying it led to or anything about causation, just wondering if anyone has followed those threads together.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #28
can't say that i do, sorry!

Reply #29
Damn. Thanks anyway.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #30
I always liked the story of how Joe Medicine Crow became the last of the Crow nation warchiefs. Pretty cool, and true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Medicine_Crow

Reply #31

• Faid
Reply #32
you see what I mean?  the good stories are all bullshit.
That has been true since the time we started telling stories.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #33
Isn't that story about the last words of the Cuban rebel prince true? Las Casas reported it, and he could conceivably have made it up, as he was trying to show the torment of the natives (being the "strange variation of a philanthropist" and all). It does sound like something that one such as Hatuey could have said, however.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #34
just going to use this thread to post whatever history shit i want

today 102 years ago union organizer joe hill was murdered by the state for singing songs that inspired working people.

(technically it was for a murder he didn't commit, he was charged on entirely circumstantial evidence in a joke of a trial.)

his last will was that his comrades "don't mourn, organize!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YJ55KT_5Q8

If the workers take a notion,
They can stop all speeding trains;
Every ship upon the ocean
They can tie with mighty chains.
Every wheel in the creation,
Every mine and every mill,
Fleets and armies of the nation,
Will at their command stand still.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #35
just going to use this thread to post whatever history shit i want

today 102 years ago union organizer joe hill was murdered by the state for singing songs that inspired working people.

(technically it was for a murder he didn't commit, he was charged on entirely circumstantial evidence in a joke of a trial.)

his last will was that his comrades "don't mourn, organize!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YJ55KT_5Q8

If the workers take a notion,
They can stop all speeding trains;
Every ship upon the ocean
They can tie with mighty chains.
Every wheel in the creation,
Every mine and every mill,
Fleets and armies of the nation,
Will at their command stand still.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUR2PDTptO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ellmj2KWBjI

Reply #36
Churchill's famous exchange with Bessie Braddock was confirmed by a bodyguard who was present to witness it.

Bessie Braddock MP: "Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk."

WSC: Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.

As the author in the link above observes, Churchill was riffing off of WC Fields, but that doesn't detract from the story, in my opinion.

• Y.B
Reply #37
Speaking of Churchill and old comedians, there's an anecdote that when Churchill was informed that Rudolf Hess had landed in Scotland in May 1941, he said "Hess or no Hess, I'm going to watch the Marx Brothers." Apparently the quote was something more like "We are seeing the Marx Brothers, so don't try that joke on me." Also, different accounts (including Groucho's) will tell you different stories about which Marx Bros. film it was. In reality, it seems, the particular film was never specified. But apparently it is true that Chrurchill was more interested in the Marx Bros. than Rudolf Hess that day.