Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• One standard for the Kewl Klown Kidz and another for daddies who need to be put down.

Topic: Cat's on the way out with stage 3 kidney disease.  (Read 710 times) previous topic - next topic

Cat's on the way out with stage 3 kidney disease.
Really looking forward to breaking this news to my wife tonight. Can this shitty year please just end already?

Re: Cat's on the way out with stage 3 kidney disease.
Reply #1
Sorry to hear that man.  :(

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2
:(

Sorry about your kitty.

let's just end this year and start fresh.

Reply #3
It's not like she needs to be put under right away or appears to be suffering in any way yet, but she was stable for the last year after her initial diagnosis, and then there was a big jump (from 2.4 to 3.4, meep will know what this means) in her most recent bloodwork. Still, the vet laid out a timeline of 1-1.5 years of quality life if we're being optimistic. :(

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #4
That's a good long time, though. Anything could happen, new meds or procedures. I'm sorry though. :(

• Old Dan
Reply #5

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #6

I'm sorry, brugrogrogrifilfil. CRF sucks. But at least there are some things you can do to keep them a little more comfortable and manage some of the symptoms as the disease progresses. They can still have some good quality of life even though it's hard to watch them and know what's happening. :(

Reply #7

I'm sorry, brugrogrogrifilfil. CRF sucks. But at least there are some things you can do to keep them a little more comfortable and manage some of the symptoms as the disease progresses. They can still have some good quality of life even though it's hard to watch them and know what's happening. :(

Thanks. Right now she's still her crazy self and acting perfectly normal, and the little bit of good news was that she's at least maintained her weight.

It's just sad knowing it's coming. At least my wife took it better than I thought she would. We've had this cat for almost 12 years now from when she was born in a box in our friend's garage.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #8
Yeah, I've had 2 of mine since they were 8-10 weeks old, and it's hard to think of them not being there with you after having had them for so long. My cats are about 6 years old and haven't shown many signs of aging, but my dog, who was about 3 when we got him, has gotten a lot of white fur around his muzzle, and I'm in denial about him getting older. :( I guess the silver lining is that with these types of things, you know what's coming and you have time to prepare, but it's still sad and painful.

It's good that she's maintained her weight. Is she on a prescription diet? Cats can be resilient little furry jerks, so I hope she has a lot of good quality time left with you guys.

Reply #9
Yeah she's on the k/do food

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #10
My cat of six years was killed by a car. Her name was Little Big Baby of Love. The other night I pulled into the driveway. We live next to a busy road. Her sister was staring at a mangled thing by the sidewalk. I knew what it was before I even went to see. I buried her two feet down and made a tower of rocks over her head. Why am I telling this to strangers? I don't know either.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #11
That's awful.  I'm sorry, Spode.

Reply #12
 :smith:  :smith:  :smith:

• Old Dan
Reply #13
aw hell :(

I know how it feels to lose a cat to the roads.

Reply #14
My cat of six years was killed by a car. Her name was Little Big Baby of Love. The other night I pulled into the driveway. We live next to a busy road. Her sister was staring at a mangled thing by the sidewalk. I knew what it was before I even went to see. I buried her two feet down and made a tower of rocks over her head. Why am I telling this to strangers? I don't know either.
:staregonk:

• MikeS
Reply #15
Sorry for the loss.  Most of my cats survive 10+ years and it's hard to bury them or put them down.
But I think I'm on cat #12 now so I pass on most of the emotional work to my wife and daughter now while I seem to handle the end-of-life stuff.

Reply #16
for a second my brain assumed you had cats sequentially and that you're at least 110 years old

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #17
I'm on cat #7, but I had 3 at once, reducing by death over 8, 17, and 18 years.

• MikeS
Reply #18
for a second my brain assumed you had cats sequentially and that you're at least 110 years old
Yeah .... no.  I had 5 cats at one time.  Two by choice, one by hand-me-down from step-daughter moving, one was step-son moving back in and one was a stray  that showed up at the doorstep and wouldn't leave for 5 days (he adopted us).  With birds and fish we were having some type of vet issue or funeral every other week.

Now down to 1 cat and a few budgies, 1 original and 3 raised offspring (mom died laying the 2nd brood of eggs).

Reply #19
Down to 4.5 pounds :(

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #20

Hope he's hanging in there at the lower weight.  If it's a sudden weight loss it seems like a crash.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #21
I'm sorry.

Reply #22
Fairly quick, but we discovered tonight that while she isn't eating her special kidney food much this week, she will eagerly eat some Purina garbage or roast beef. More blood work tonight, so we'll know her numbers tomorrow.

She's curled up on my lap right now :)/:(

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #23
I'm sorry about your kitty, brgurgogrogigrgiflil. :(

At least she has enough of an appetite to eat Purina garbage and roast beef. Hoping the bloodwork has been steady and that she's feeling comfortable. Enjoy the cat snuggles.

Reply #24
 :hug:
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor