Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Planning to make myself sit through Star Wars out of respect for the princesss (Read 646 times) previous topic - next topic

• Monad

Planning to make myself sit through Star Wars out of respect for the princesss
I just went out and bought, for the first time, a copy of the original Star Wars. I have never been able to sit through the whole thing before and couldn't bring myself to watch the last 2 of the new ones after the appalling first one (OK I think I watched a bit of the second but it was so stupid I zoned out). I'm going to try my best to stay 'open to the experience' and try to see what it is other people seem to find so enjoyable about them. Still not sure I can tolerate Ewoks though but at least they are near the end, I will hold onto the possibility that some of them get killed or at least wounded. Wish me luck!

If I get through this I may have to get the newer ones too.
  • Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:40:05 AM by Monad

• Monad

Re: Planning to make myself sit through Star Wars out of respect for the princesss
Reply #1
Oh god that music!!  :ohdear:  :ohdear:

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Re: Planning to make myself sit through Star Wars out of respect for the princesss
Reply #2
:icare:

• Monad

Reply #3
 :reign:  :parrot:  :parrot:  :parrot:

• Fenrir
  • Needs a Life

Reply #4
It's what plants crave.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #5
Oh god that music!!  :ohdear:  :ohdear:
Imagine it being played a little too slow, with many mistakes bleeps and whistles, by grade school bands, all across this land.

That ... is the hell of grade school bands and their audiences across this (soon to be great again) land.

• Monad

Reply #6
OK here are my conclusions

Leia kicks ass, people go on about the modern feminist Star Wars heroines but actually that scene in the bikini was almost nothing and even there she wasn't particularly objectified as you can see she is in a difficult situation and still she manages to strangle Jabba the Hutt singlehandedly, and the rest of the time she is the boss

The first movie is too short and really doesn't have much in the way of a plot but it wasn't bad otherwise

The second was my favourite and was quite exciting even

The third was marred by the stupidly cutesy Ewoks and Darth Vader getting sappy and was otherwise sort of a rerun of movie 1

What's with the 'long ago' thing?

So I feel ready to tackle the next lot now but I'm left feeling this is still a way over rated series.
  • Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:41:29 AM by Monad

Reply #7
get out

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #8
The next lot aren't worth watching.

Reply #9
aside from the recent two.

Reply #10
this is the only valuable thread on all of TR

Reply #11
pls liveTR the prequels. I wanna witness the precise moment your soul dies.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #12
aside from the recent two.

Right, by "the next lot", I assume he meant the prequels.

• Monad

Reply #13
pls liveTR the prequels. I wanna witness the precise moment your soul dies.

I doubt that will happen as my expectations are already low

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #14
See if my observation holds out.  The only "good" parts of the prequels are the second half of the third movie.

Otherwise,  :barf:

Reply #15
OK here are my conclusions

Leia kicks ass, people go on about the modern feminist Star Wars heroines but actually that scene in the bikini was almost nothing and even there she wasn't particularly objectified as you can see she is in a difficult situation and still she manages to strangle Jabba the Hutt singlehandedly, and the rest of the time she is the boss

The first movie is too short and really doesn't have much in the way of a plot but it wasn't bad otherwise

The second was my favourite and was quite exciting even

The third was marred by the stupidly cutesy Ewoks and Darth Vader getting sappy and was otherwise sort of a rerun of movie 1

What's with the 'long ago' thing?

So I feel ready to tackle the next lot now but I'm left feeling this is still a way over rated series.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, and I saw the original (no Episode IV, no "Last Hope") in the theater when I was 14 years old (many times over that summer). I saw the first of the next lot and didn't bother to see any of the rest. The two new ones since Disney bought the rights are much more like the first two, especially the latest "Rogue One."

• Monad

Reply #16
I'm really going to have to suffer the prequels to get to the sequels I suppose

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #17
Don't do it.

• Fenrir
  • Needs a Life

Reply #18

Two words. "Jar" "Jar" and "Binks".
It's what plants crave.

• Monad

Reply #19
I know

tbh though it was the incongruity of Anakin being some punk kid in the first one and Princess whatsherface being lots older than him then him suddenly growing a pair and them being the same age so they can fall in love that put me off the second it just seemed so contrived, after that couldn't be bothered to watch revenge of the shit

Reply #20

Unnecessary.

ETA: Ok mostly unnecessary. There's literally nothing about the Force Awakens that you'll need to see the Prequels first. So you'll probably be fine with the sequel Saga trilogy. Rogue One has 2 minor Easter Eggs from the Prequels, but nothing mind blowing aside from actors who were in the prequels of which one of them who by all accounts should have had a bigger role, was kinda wasted in Episode 3. So yeah. Skip the prequels.

If you watch everything else and feel like you want to be a completist, then go ahead. But I have a feeling you'll check out when they land on Naboo.
  • Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:28:57 AM by madmardigan

• Monad

Reply #21

Unnecessary.

Yeah I know I could, but I feel I didn't really give them much of a chance before so I'm going in there this weekend. At least it will be worthwhile to see the backstory of the Emperor's manipulations and rise to power and the Jedi order functioning before it was destroyed.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #22

Unnecessary.

Yeah I know I could, but I feel I didn't really give them much of a chance before so I'm going in there this weekend. At least it will be worthwhile to see the backstory of the Emperor's manipulations and rise to power and the Jedi order functioning before it was destroyed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Monad

Reply #23
OK watched the first one. It is a bloody mess of a film, Jar Jar Binks is embarrassing but tbh that's nowhere near as bad as a plot that relies on a kid accidentally piloting a ship into space and whoops accidentally pressing the wrong buttons and whoops accidentally blowing up a space station that just happened to be powering the droid army. What a joke!

Reply #24
OK watched the first one. It is a bloody mess of a film, Jar Jar Binks is embarrassing but tbh that's nowhere near as bad as a plot that relies on a kid accidentally piloting a ship into space and whoops accidentally pressing the wrong buttons and whoops accidentally blowing up a space station that just happened to be powering the droid army. What a joke!

Shoulda turned it off when they landed on Naboo.