Re: The Dog Thread
Reply #26
GSDs don't know how to play gently.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #27

No neighbor shall use the sidewalk in peace.

Reply #28
I don't let my dog on the furniture, except for one chair, when he's in my lap.

He has a pretty plush bed right in the middle of the family room floor, though.

Reply #29
I remember when we got our puppy. Took approximately a week before she was allowed on all of the sitting-and-lying-upon types of furniture.

TBF, our friends were much harder on the furniture than she ever was.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #30
I don't let my dog on the furniture, except for one chair, when he's in my lap.

He has a pretty plush bed right in the middle of the family room floor, though.

My 13-14 year old leather couches are showing the signs of allowing dogs and cats to assert their privileges. We are much more strict around the dinner table.  I think it's a happy compromise.

It also has successfully protected the house from anyone trying to enter through the dining room window for nearly 2 years.
  • Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:01:17 PM by SkepticTank

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #31

Reply #32

Reply #33
JOE BIDEN HAS AN ADORABLE MOMENT WITH A PUPPY NAMED BIDEN

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/news/a21576/joe-biden-meets-puppy/

Reply #34

Reply #35

"I would like another Alpha Centauri Binary IPA, please"

Reply #36
Why are those ducks swimming in grass?

Reply #37

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #38
Bunny and Rotweiler, how cute.  At least until Mr. Rot grabs bunny by the neck and shakes him all about like a rag doll.   :staregonk:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #39

Reply #40
I'm annoyed.  I've started buying cat food via Amazon and I want to do the same thing with dog food.  The dog food I used to feed my pup is available from Amazon, but (blue wilderness lamb and rice) but he doesn't like the taste of the little vitamin pellets that are semi-uniformly added to the kibble.  There are usually 20 to 30 of the tiny pellets in a 1 cup scoop.  He scatters them all over the floor.

So, I switched to Simply Nourish Lamb and Oatmeal to see how that would work.  Pup loves it.  No tiny pellets all over the floor.  yay!

Aaaaand Amazon doesn't carry it.

So, I can keep buying it locally, or try something that Amazon carries.  Yeah, I should have checked their brands to start with instead of picking something at Petsmart that looked good.

So, the Lamb and Oatmeal kibble available at Amazon are

Wellness Simple Natural Dry Limited Ingredient Dog Food, Lamb & Oatmeal -- this is for dogs with food sensitivities.  This is not an issue for my pup.  It appears the price reflects the foods special formulation for food sensitivities.  Meh.  If Amazon isn't going to save me at least a couple bucks, forget it.

Nature's Variety Prairie Dry Dog Food -- same price as above for 3 lbs less.  And nothing about food sensitivities.  Meh.

If I go back to lamb and rice there are options, but the pricing is all over the place and some of them are cheap enough to scare me and some of the brands I've never even heard of.

Soooo....

What do you feed your dogs?

Reply #41
Diamond brand lamb and rice. I buy it at the feed store.
https://g.co/kgs/HPxqBF
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #42
I feed Hill's. The doctors I worked with would regularly recommend Hill's, Purina ProPlan, Royal Canin, Eukanuba, and pretty much any mid-range, mid-shelf food. The cheaper ones are iffier quality, and the more expensive ones are full of marketing gimmicks that don't do anything useful.

I feed Hill's because they're one of the companies that actually does AAFCO feeding trials, which is a higher standard to meet than nutritional analysis. If you look on the bag, it'll either say that the food has been formulated to meet AAFCO standards, which means that they've done a lab analysis after processing to make sure they meet the minimums/maximums, or that it's been shown by feeding trials to meet nutritional needs.

I also especially hate Blue Buffalo as a company. Some pets do okay on their food, but so many have GI problems. I used to feed it to my cats before I started working in the vet industry, and Rosemary would get this weird occasional GI upset with grey stool that sometimes would have frank blood. We could never find any cause for it, but as soon as I switched to Hill's, it went away. The shit they throw in there like the blueberries for the "antioxidants" are pure marketing tools, but those extra ingredients make the food rich and more difficult to digest, and the feed tends to be so much more calorically dense that lots of pets get fat on it. The brand has been all about selling a certain idea/style: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-07-24/blue-buffalo-vs-dot-purina-in-dog-food-fight-over-nutrition-claims