Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Why I don't believe the bullshit (climate or even weather news) (Read 3003 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: How can you tell if changes to data are bullshit?
Reply #500
F X, how do you feel about the possibility of an aquatic apelike human ancestor?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #501
http://rankexploits.com/musings/2010/a-cooling-bias-due-to-mmts/

Since the mid 1980s, the majority of temperature stations in the United States USHCN network have been converted from Liquid in Glass (LiG)/Cotton Region Shelters (CRS) measurement instruments to maximum-minimum temperatures system (MMTS) instruments.

A number of researchers have suggested that the introduction of MMTS sensors has created a strong cooling bias in maximum temperatures and a moderate warming bias in minimum temperatures, resulting in an overall cooling bias in mean temps.

Reply #502
So clearly there is a good reason for the adjustments.

Also, why do you choose to focus on regional/short-term adjustments that increase warming trends when the long-term global adjustments reduce it?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Re: Why I don't believe the bullshit (climate or even weather news)
Reply #503
So clearly there is a good reason for the adjustments.

Also, why do you choose to focus on regional/short-term adjustments that increase warming trends when the long-term global adjustments reduce it?
Easy. Because FX defines "showing everything" as "showing the bits I want to show and ignoring the overall picture".
Truth is out of style

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #504
fx - based on some lazy skimming, I get the impression you attach a lot of importance to:

1) cooling trends happening in specific regions and/or over short periods of time
2) the fact that climate change happens naturally, even without human activity

those are both true statements.  however, neither of them contradicts AGW.

the statement that the global average temperature is increasing over the long run allows for the possibility of regional or short term cooling trends.  it only requires that those be outweighed by temperature increases elsewhere and/or eventually.  and that what we think we're seeing.

and the fact that climate change happens naturally does not rule out the possibility of human activity altering the climate, any more than the fact that fire happens naturally rules out the possibility of people starting fires.
  • Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:57:28 AM by el jefe

Reply #505
fx - based on some lazy skimming, I get the impression you attach a lot of importance to:

1) cooling trends happening in specific regions and/or over short periods of time
2) the fact that climate change happens naturally, even without human activity

those are both true statements.  however, neither of them contradicts AGW.

the statement that the global average temperature is increasing over the long run allows for the possibility of regional or short term cooling trends.  it only requires that those be outweighed by temperature increases elsewhere and/or eventually.  and that what we think we're seeing.

and the fact that climate change happens naturally does not rule out the possibility of human activity altering the climate, any more than the fact that fire happens naturally rules out the possibility of people starting fires.

Bet you won't get a straight answer back!

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #506
I think I will.

fx - you will hear what I'm saying and be persuaded by it.  /jedi mind trick

• fredbear
  • Needs a Life
  • Militantly Confused

Reply #507
Good news everyone. CO2 is "plant food" and not harmful in any way:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/23/hundreds-scientists-urge-trump-withdraw-un-climate/
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

Reply #508
And pretty much when you find out they are, nobody actually gives a fuck

Same thing in meteorology. 

Believers never stop believing.