Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: We can't be bothered to ban you.

Topic: Subnautica (Read 241 times) previous topic - next topic

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Subnautica
Anybody here play it? Subnautica

I got this for my grandson for Christmas. Unfortunately it pretty much requires a fairly serious machine and a relatively good internet connection. I'm working on both of those.

Anyway, I've found it to be a really interesting and challenging game. I don't play games much, but this one intrigues me. (Previous games have been from Amanita, primarily point and solve games but with really great graphics and a subtle sense of humor.

So, any other Subnauticans out there?
Are we there yet?

• Faid
Re: Subnautica
Reply #1
Resurrecting the thread because I played it.

It scared the shit out of me. Especially that crab-snake thing. We've been going swimming regularly these days, and my wife wonders why I always stay in the shallows with the daughter and let her swim out in the open.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #2
Resurrecting the thread because I played it.

It scared the shit out of me. Especially that crab-snake thing. We've been going swimming regularly these days, and my wife wonders why I always stay in the shallows with the daughter and let her swim out in the open.
Yah, the entire game is about simply trying to avoid something killing you while you attempt to get together the resources that will protect you from the everything trying to kill you. Unfortunately, nearly everything on the planet will attempt to kill you and will most likely succeed. Fun and challenging play though. Good exercise in risk management.

My grandson loves it.
Are we there yet?

• Faid
Reply #3
That reminds me: I've heard that every adult in the US has:

-A Cherokee great-grandmother

-This old friend who once did something funny and/or silly

-A small nephew who really enjoys playing this or that vidya game.

Is that accurate? ;)
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #4

Is that accurate? ;)
Perhaps. 

I have no greatgrandmothers or any other relative who were indigenous to the Americas. They are all either Danish or Swedish, a fact that greatly perturbed them all until their deaths. My mother was nice girl even if she was Danish and my father was a nice boy even if he was Swedish. All the elders on both side were never able to resolve these conundrums. It had little to no effect on my life.

I'm not sure what the second comment applies to, but I'm pretty sure I know someone who has done something, including having slept in the bed of Patty Hearst's cousin (no cousin present) and someone currently aboard the ISS. Also includes folks that single handed sailed across the Atlantic, have been on a nuclear sub, nearly died from rabies (or at least the fear of such), was in the Vietnam and WWII wars, was a major manufacturer of wetsuits (indeed, pretty much invented them), is one of the current masters of Tai Chi, participated professionally in the Tour de France as well as other cycling events, was one of the original engineers for Ghirardelli Square, designed the tunnel at the south end of the runways at SeaTac, had driven their Norton Commando motorcycle around the world three times prior to 1968, sailed on Hokule'a, attended the Paul Butterfield concert at the Fillmore supported by Cream in 1967, signed the autograph book of Walter Von Braun, and various others.

My grandson is indeed a serious Subnautica player. I gave him the game for this last Xmas.

Are we there yet?

• MikeS
Reply #5

Is that accurate? ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X86u4MMpnE

• Faid
Reply #6
Welp, it was supposed to be a dab on how many adults say their kids/nephews enjoy a game, when in fact it's themselves who enjoy it. Don't really know what to say now, besides... The ISS? OKwow.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #7
Welp, it was supposed to be a dab on how many adults say their kids/nephews enjoy a game, when in fact it's themselves who enjoy it. Don't really know what to say now, besides... The ISS? OKwow.
Oh, I enjoy playing it as well.

ISS personnel is Jack Fisher. Sort of a protege of my older brother, who got to go to Baikonur to watch the launch back in April.
Are we there yet?

Reply #8

You'd have to go one more generation, and it's Lakota for me. :)

More than just one (friend and antics), many of which shouldn't be described on a public forum....

Is that accurate? ;)
Can't help with the nephew part....I got a few nieces, though I hardly see them.