Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: One of the five most chickenshit supposedly rationalist sites on the Internet.

Topic: Keeping tabs on the alt-right (Read 22790 times) previous topic - next topic

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: Keeping tabs on the alt-right
Reply #1600
Peterson is such a jackass.

Reply #1601
Hey Canada, it's your turn!

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_ca/article/59qb93/the-racist-podcaster-who-started-a-neo-nazi-coffee-company-to-fund-white-nationalism

In the spring of 2017, Thomas White had an idea: What if he combined his love of gourmet coffee with his staunch belief in a white ethnostate?

[...]

The solution: Rising Sun Coffee Company, an online coffee emporium dedicated to both quality beans and the protection of the white race. Five percent of all sales would go to the buyer's white nationalist charity of choice. "Creating a new economy for the future of our people," read the tagline emblazoned on a picture of an all-white tiki torch-carrying brigade from the Charlottesville riots last year.

Oh my.

That's hilarious.

Coffee. Of all possible products they chose coffee.

I. Can't. Even. Coffee.
^^
Why do I bother?

• linus
Reply #1602
Trying to decide if Nazi coffee is even dumber than the Trump golfing outfit as a stealth Nazi uniform.

Reply #1603
there's this dumb pro-gun coffee company, for your tactical coffee needs

just gonna assume a bunch of white dudes obsessed with guns are alt-right/nazis

https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

Reply #1604
I saw a car decal yesterday that said "I love guns and coffee" with the Starbucks logo mermaid holding a pistol in each hand

Reply #1605

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #1606
I saw a car decal yesterday that said "I love guns and coffee" with the Starbucks logo mermaid holding a pistol in each hand

Guns are just tools and they're very useful which is why this is ~*~*extremely normal*~*~ behavior.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #1607
Peterson is such a jackass.

Most of his shit is just word vomit, which is hilarious to me because ever since I was a teenager, I've been hearing people make fun of postmodernism as being a bunch of word vomit. But here's this jackass decrying insidious ((((cultural Marxism)))) and postmodernism and Derrida and all this shit while also producing massive word salads of questionable interpretations that read like really poorly done Rorschach tests.

But what would I know? I'm a chaos dragon fighting against the natural order of male dominance, and that will lead to the complete destruction of Western Civilization.

also lol:

Reply #1608
Yeah Peterson hilariously lapses into legit post modern interpretations fairly often, accepting that interpretations are subjective and socially influenced.

The dude is just a really confused reactionary mystic selling the dullest of self help advice to the dullest of people. And he makes millions doing it.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #1609
Yes, but did you know he's a clinical psychologist? A clinical psychologist can't be wrong about stuff. Also Ben Shapiro went to Harvard, and Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon.

(protip if you want to trigger me, talk about the lobsters and serotonin)

eta reactionary is just the right word. The things he doesn't like are the fault of modern neo-Marxists and feminists and the sexual revolution, and the things he does like are actually the natural ordained way things are supposed to be because of biology and God.

Reply #1610
I like how he conflates Marxism, which has a pretty big historical narrative flavor, with postmodernism, which rejects the idea of that sort of overarching historical narrative. It's almost that, despite being a good clinical psychologist, he has no idea what he's talking about in any other field!

Reply #1611
He's just telling a lot of young white males what they already believe but with an air of authority.

The best part is that they normally instantly reject the source of his authority, academia

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #1612
He's just telling a lot of young white males what they already believe but with an air of authority.

"Hierarchies are good and ancient and mystical, and the natural order places you at the top. People who disagree are trying to destroy everything, and all of the bad things that happen are because of those people."

Anyway, my favorite bit is how he's all about traditional Christian families and this and that and the other thing and women staying at home and having babies while also being literally obsessed with Marxism and Soviet shit... even though it's our crappy late capitalist economy that's directly undermining the ability of people to stick to that traditional family structure. Like every single obstacle standing between me and having a family and being near the rest of my relatives has been put into place by our furthest-from-fucking-Marxist economic system. Any effects of culture and cultural expectations pale in comparison to the fact that I cannot fucking afford to live the way someone like Peterson thinks I should be living.

Reply #1613
Have you considered cleaning your room? Only then can you achieve true enlightenment.

• Monad
Reply #1614

My first introduction to Peterson was a video clip where he said that there's something wrong with any woman who's over 30 and not prioritizing family over career, so I am extremely fucking shocked to learn that this virulent anti-Marxist believes in forced redistribution of sex.

So he's a rape culture advocate?

Sounds like some sort of less fundie version of The Handmaid's tale

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #1615

My first introduction to Peterson was a video clip where he said that there's something wrong with any woman who's over 30 and not prioritizing family over career, so I am extremely fucking shocked to learn that this virulent anti-Marxist believes in forced redistribution of sex.

So he's a rape culture advocate?

Sounds like some sort of less fundie version of The Handmaid's tale

IMO, he's part of the current backlash against feminism by male supremacists who still cannot get it through their tiny heads that women possess self-determination and aren't just here to act as a support system for a man and his genetic offspring. He offers a modicum of academic legitimacy to men who want this to be true. He lets them feel good about a set of attitudes their culture is rapidly rejecting*.

*Although it's already taken more than a century.  :awgee:

Reply #1616
it seems like the alt right should be melting down about the royal wedding. are they?

Reply #1617
I believe there are some racist lunatics who are, but as I don't care about the wedding I haven't really been paying attention to any of it.
Why do I bother?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #1618

Can someone please explain to me how men who have problems getting laid would suddenly do much better if society "promoted" monogamy (because it apparently doesn't right now even though millions of people literally just watched a fucking wedding on TV)?

eta no seriously, where do these people get the fucking idea that society doesn't promote marriage? Tax breaks, legal benefits, social status, endless shitty remarks about single moms and fatherless children, ...

The real problem is that we now have fewer pressures to accept and stay with shitty men. Just because we don't want shitty men doesn't mean we don't want monogamy, and promoting marriage isn't going to make shitty men seem more appealing. Like, "Hmm, I know you don't want to sleep with this dumbass, but what if I told you that you had the chance of being legally bound to him for life? Doesn't that sound better?". Jesus fucking christ, what is it with the brain worms lately?
  • Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:27:57 PM by meepmeep

• uncool
Reply #1619

Can someone please explain to me how men who have problems getting laid would suddenly do much better if society "promoted" monogamy (because it apparently doesn't right now even though millions of people literally just watched a fucking wedding on TV)?
The idea is that women have sexual desires, too, but in today's society of free sex, where women supposedly are the "gatekeepers" of sex, they can fulfill those desires with men of higher social status (the term often used is "hypergamy") - see Chad Thundercock and "his" Stacies. Monogamy restricts that outlet, meaning that higher social status men can't "hog the market", and women who still want sex will have to settle for lower social status men - like incels.

There is some similar analysis for highly polygynous cults - because cult leaders "hog" all of the women, young men are either forced to extremes to "prove themselves", or are forced to leave the cult. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_boys_(Mormon_fundamentalism)

They overlook, ignore, or explain away the obvious difference: who is making the decisions about sex.

Reply #1620
I'd like to hear more about this cannon fodder idea though.

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Reply #1621
I'd like to hear more about this cannon fodder idea though.

Just wait a year or two.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• nesb
Reply #1622
Honestly, I find it shocking to discover that all the guys I know, and interact with, who happen to be in relationships, are high-status men. It almost defies credulity.

• uncool
Reply #1623

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #1624
Long Toronto Star article by Bernard Schiff (professor emeritus of psychology at the University of Toronto  and former friend of Peterson's) about Jordan Peterson.

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2018/05/25/i-was-jordan-petersons-strongest-supporter-now-i-think-hes-dangerous.html