Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Wall Street Journal: Trump was Right about Sweden's Immigration Problems (Read 1082 times) previous topic - next topic

Wall Street Journal: Trump was Right about Sweden's Immigration Problems
Trump Is Right: Sweden's Embrace of Refugees Isn't Working
The country has accepted 275,000 asylum-seekers, many without passports--leading to riots and crime.

By JIMMIE ÅKESSON and  MATTIAS KARLSSON
Feb. 22, 2017 6:43 p.m. ET

When President Trump last week raised Sweden's problematic experience with open-door immigration, skeptics were quick to dismiss his claims. Two days later an immigrant suburb of Stockholm was racked by another riot. No one was seriously injured, though the crowd burned cars and hurled stones at police officers.

Mr. Trump did not exaggerate Sweden's current problems. If anything, he understated them. Sweden took in about 275,000 asylum-seekers from 2014-16--more per capita than any other European country. Eighty percent of ...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-is-right-swedens-embrace-of-refugees-isnt-working-1487807010

[EDIT: Sorry fixed the link]
  • Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:02:21 AM by Dave Hawkins

Re: Wall Street Journal: Trump was Right about Sweden's Immigration Problems
Reply #1
So Trump had a crystal ball and was talking about a thing that hadn't happened yet? Or he utterly sucks at communication? Because he seemed to be referring to a specific event, rather than some general problems in specific areas.
Why do I bother?

Reply #2
Good job noticing that it wasn't wsj ... bad job not noticing that it wasn't the fox link you thought it was ... Lol

Fixed now.

Reply #3
So Trump had a crystal ball and was talking about a thing that hadn't happened yet? Or he utterly sucks at communication? Because he seemed to be referring to a specific event, rather than some general problems in specific areas.
He was moving fast and worded it wrong ... "last night" meant "last night's TV program" ... God ... how long does it take for this to sink into your titanium cranium?

Reply #4
I hadn't clicked on the link at the time Dave. And it being WSJ, I can't read any more than you've posted as I don't have access. Care to elaborate on the subject?
Why do I bother?

Reply #5
He was moving fast and worded it wrong ... "last night" meant "last night's TV program" ... God ... how long does it take for this to sink into your titanium cranium?

So we have a leader of the free world who sucks at communication, and sucks at clarifying things when he's unclear. That doesn't make me any more confident in his abilities you know. No wonder you like him so much though, you have exactly the same problem.
Why do I bother?

Reply #6
I don't expect world leaders to get their information from unvetted TV interviews with documentary makers.

Reply #7
There's not much to elaborate on ... Trump was truthful in highlighting a big problem in Sweden though he was unclear in his communication about it at first.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #8
The gullible tool strikes again. ::)

Sweden hits back at Trump, defends generous immigration policies
The figures do not show soaring crime of rising lawlessness among immigrants...

"We have very, very few cases of any of them (asylum seekers) committing crimes," Johansson said. "If you think that we have given protection to 143,000 Syrian refugees since 2011 you hardly ever see any of them in the crime statistics."

How can "Trump be right" - when he referred to no specific incident(s) that actually occurred? 

"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #9
I don't expect world leaders to get their information from unvetted TV interviews with documentary makers.
OK ... I'm not sure he got that info from "unvetted TV interviews with documentary makers" ... maybe that interview only confirmed what he already knew ... you don't know this and I don't either ... you shouldn't spout off about things you don't know ...

In any case, the important point is ... HE WAS RIGHT ... as admitted by the WSJ ... an outlet I assume that YOU trust ... right?

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #10
There's not much to elaborate on ... Trump was truthful in highlighting a big problem in Sweden though he was unclear in his communication about it at first.
"Absolute. Fucking. Truth."
Remember?

:rofl:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #11
The gullible tool strikes again. ::)

Sweden hits back at Trump, defends generous immigration policies
The figures do not show soaring crime of rising lawlessness among immigrants...

"We have very, very few cases of any of them (asylum seekers) committing crimes," Johansson said. "If you think that we have given protection to 143,000 Syrian refugees since 2011 you hardly ever see any of them in the crime statistics."

How can "Trump be right" - when he referred to no specific incident(s) that actually occurred? 

My God what a colossal idiot you are.  :facepalm:

Reply #12
"Absolute. Fucking. Truth."
Remember?

:rofl:
Yeah it's the GOAL ... and he approaches the goal a hell of a lot closer than you and your ilk do.  Or Hillary does.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #13
OK ... I'm not sure he got that info from "unvetted TV interviews with documentary makers" ... maybe that interview only confirmed what he already knew ... you don't know this and I don't either ... you shouldn't spout off about things you don't know ...
Yes we do know. He admitted it himself
My statement as to what's happening in Sweden was in reference to a story that was broadcast on @FoxNews concerning immigrants & Sweden.

Quote from: Dave Hawkins
In any case, the important point is ... HE WAS RIGHT ... as admitted by the WSJ ... an outlet I assume that YOU trust ... right?
(1) It was a guest column written by a couple of people in a Swedish anti-immigrant political party. The WSJ does not take responsibility. and
(2) No. Why should anyone trust the WSJ? It's owned by Rupert Murdoch and it's quite open about its pro-Trump partisanship.

Reply #14
Anything about what is specifically happening in Sweden, and how it might relate to the US?  Anything about why the riots took place, and in response to what, and how many people involved are refugees, or immigrants, or are the children of immigrants with few ties to the where they may have been born, or where their parents are from, but don't have a sense of belonging in Sweden either?

Or is it just "hurr durr immigrants rioting, don't let them in the country"?
Why do I bother?

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #15
Yeah it's the GOAL ... and he approaches the goal a hell of a lot closer than you and your ilk do.  Or Hillary does.
In your completely unsupported partisan opinion.
Which is less than worthless.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #16
My God what a colossal idiot you are.  :facepalm:
Oh? How so?

Reply #17

No. I prefer reading trustworthy Swedish sources that include properly compiled and explained statistics.

You live in the US and you think one recent riot describes the entire reality of your country? If I went by that standard I'd warn everyone I knew to never set foot in the USA for any reason, with your extremely high murder rates, sky-rocketing rapes and assaults, and tendency of your police to arrest people and steal all their money just for crossing the border.

Sweden is a very safe country when compared to yours.

We get it. You think Muslims and South Americans and Mexicans and LGBTQ people and black people are scary bad people, because you're a xenophobic bigot. And so is Trump.

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #18
But the riot to which you refer hadn't happened when he said "last night".
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #19
"A riot" of unknown proportion is a big problem?
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #20

You are an idiot. What was he right about? God you are an idiot.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #21

The WSJ is usually good with news.  The editorial page is right wing bullshit.

In this case, since we do have statistics and other sources that say the WSJ is wrong, the WSJ is almost certainly wrong. As Trump was wrong.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #22

The WSJ is usually good with news.  The editorial page is right wing bullshit.

In this case, since we do have statistics and other sources that say the WSJ is wrong, the WSJ is almost certainly wrong. As Trump was wrong.
As it happens, I was interviewed by a WSJ reporter at a Town Hall I attended Wednesday.

Reply #23
Allergic-to-fact-checking Dave didn't bother to for example Google the name Jimmie Åkesson.
Wikipedia has this on the party he heads:

Sweden Democrats or Swedish Democrats (Swedish: Sverigedemokraterna, SD) is a nationalist political party in Sweden that was founded in 1988. The party describes itself as social conservative with a nationalist foundation, though it has been characterized by some as far-right, right-wing populist, national-conservative, and anti-immigration. The party had its roots in Swedish fascism and was a part of the white supremacy movement; initially, it was characterized by right-wing extremism and activism. SD's logo from the 1990s until 2006 was a version of the torch used by the UK National Front.

According to Jimmie's article, the suicide bomber six years ago "tried to blow up hundreds of people". Maybe he wanted to, but thanks to his incompetence, he only managed to blow himself up.

"Schools have banned singing of Christian hymns, because they don't want to offend immigrants." Of course there is no such ban for that reason. Confessional elements (hymns, blessings, creeds) in teaching situations are not allowed for any religion. A few traditions are allowed, like a certain summer hymn on last day of school before summer, and lighting candles at advent.

"Sex crimes nearly doubled from 2014 to 2015." 2014: 1 % of the inhabitants, 2015: 1.7 %. Bad enough, but an increase in reporting should be factored in. Problem awareness, less stigma, more support to victims helps ease of reporting. I don't know for these years, but an increasing number of types of sexual harassment being classed as rape will of course also increase reported numbers.

No surprise that the Swedish Minister of Justice lashed out in unusually harsh words (dynga: 'dung') condemning Jimmie's distortions.

Reply #24
As usual, Trump was wrong again.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor