Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Are there any deserts presently greening naturally? (Read 4192 times) previous topic - next topic

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Re: Are there any deserts presently greening naturally?
Reply #25
Unwarranted conclusion. the Sahara is big enough to accommodate many ecosystems.

Indeed.

The area that Hawkins is fixated on is known to be exceptional: i.e. NOT typical of the Sahara desert on the whole.

This is among the objections that were raised in the previous thread, that Hawkins not only doesn't recognize as "valid", but apparently never even registered.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #26
As for the Sahara, what objections were raised that the (most recent) drying of the Sahara was not caused by man?
Or maybe it was dragons.
What objections were raised that it was not caused by dragons?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #27
A more worthwhile question would be: Why did this question by dave need its own thread?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #28
A more worthwhile question would be: Why did this question by dave need its own thread?
Maybe because the number of questions he was evaD-ing in the other thread got too embarrassing?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #29
He's not interested in the topic.

He's only interested in being right.

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #30
If I were somehow gain the ability to fly like Superman, would I be able to fly faster than Superman, just as fast as Superman or would I be slower than Superman?
Are we there yet?

Reply #31
Unwarranted conclusion. the Sahara is big enough to accommodate many ecosystems.

Indeed.

The area that Hawkins is fixated on is known to be exceptional: i.e. NOT typical of the Sahara desert on the whole.

This is among the objections that were raised in the previous thread, that Hawkins not only doesn't recognize as "valid", but apparently never even registered.
Exceptional huh?

I Googled "rock art ___________ " and put several different areas across the present day Sahara including NW Chad and SW Egypt and got results. 

You want me to keep Googling? 

Or would you like to STFU and quit pretending you know anything about this topic?

Reply #32
You guys really need more constructive things to do.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #33

Indeed.

Exceptional huh?
Yes.
Exceptional.
Read the link, moron.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #34
Or would you like to STFU and quit pretending you know anything about this topic?
... says the idiot talking about "architecture" of the period.

:rofl:
  • Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:42:12 PM by VoxRat

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #35
Engaging with you, Bluffy, is not constructive.
However, it is entertaining and laughter is a good thing.

Now, back to my question about how fast I could fly in comparison to Superman. Faster? Just as fast? Or slower? Can you google that for me Bluffy?
Are we there yet?

Reply #36
I read the link.  I'm not talking about PRESENT CONDITIONS.  I'm talking about PAST CONDITIONS ... which we can learn about from Rock Art.  I know nothing about SE Algerian architecture.  I've mentioned this twice I think.

Reply #37
The rock art of SE Algeria is not "exceptional" ... there's plenty all over the area that we now call the Sahara.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #38
I know nothing about SE Algerian architecture.  I've mentioned this twice I think.
Exactly.
Yet you thought it would be worth Borealis's while to learn about it.
It doesn't exist.
And here you are pretending to know more about the period than anyone else.
I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on the subject but, as I said, I have read de Villier's book on the subject.
Where does your vast knowledge of the subject come from?
The fact that your franooglng search words gives you "hits"?
Dollars to donuts, you haven't even bothered reading those hits.

• Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:01:53 PM by VoxRat

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #39
The rock art of SE Algeria is not "exceptional" ... there's plenty all over the area that we now call the Sahara.
No, there isn't.

See how easy the unsupported assertion is?

Reply #40
Borealis mentioned that she likes architecture.  So I suggested she study SE Algerian architecture, having no idea whether any exists or not.  And you have no idea either.  And no one here cares.

And yes there is plenty of rock art all over what we now call the Sahara ... you apparently cannot Google.

Northern Chad ... http://africanrockart.org/rock-art-gallery/chad/

SW Egypt ... http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/africa/gilf_kebir_cave_of_swimmers/

Reply #41
Keep going ... Northern Mali ... crocodiles ...

Throughout the desert, archaeologists and palaeontologists have documented skeletons of crocodiles in areas as unlikely as Algeria, Libya and northern Mali, proving that crocodiles roamed in a greener Sahara thousands of years ago. https://blog.britishmuseum.org/category/collection/african-rock-art/

Reply #42

Throughout the desert, archaeologists and palaeontologists have documented skeletons of crocodiles in areas as unlikely as Algeria, Libya and northern Mali, proving that crocodiles roamed in a greener Sahara thousands of years ago. https://blog.britishmuseum.org/category/collection/african-rock-art/

From his link: "The situation was very different ten thousand years ago."

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #43
Borealis mentioned that she likes architecture.  So I suggested she study SE Algerian architecture, having no idea whether any exists or not.  And you have no idea either.  And no one here cares.

And yes there is plenty of rock art all over what we now call the Sahara ... you apparently cannot Google.

Northern Chad ... http://africanrockart.org/rock-art-gallery/chad/

SW Egypt ... http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/africa/gilf_kebir_cave_of_swimmers/

And you think this handful of sites is typical of the whole Sahara?

They are not.

And even if they were, that doesn't help you with your dumb thesis that the Sahara desert is man-made.

Fractal flailure.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #44
And how does starting yet another 'look-at-me' thread make you help us with that?

We could easily respond to your "question" whether it was in the Ehrlich thread or in a new one.

Do you have ANY reason for starting a new thread, other than your own narcissistic self-serving obsessions?

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #45

Nobody is disputing that the Sahara was greener thousands of years ago.  In fact we've pointed to evidence that it was.

Your claim was that it is "largely man-made".  That is turned out to be wrong.

• RexT

Reply #46
Perhaps true.

Maybe not entirely true. Dave told us what he is interested in. He is interested in creating a legacy.

I will probably do it for the rest of my life because one question I ask myself is "What will be my legacy? When I die will I have made a contribution to the world?"  And one way to make a lasting contribution is by writing.  ...
He didn't say anything about being right. He wants a following to carry his "legacy" and he seems to have that.

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #47
Well, he seems to think his "legacy" is a bunch of writing in which he is "right" about stuff that is demonstrably wrong.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #48
You've done this before, haven't you. :grin:
Truth is out of style

Reply #49
Perhaps true.

Maybe not entirely true. Dave told us what he is interested in. He is interested in creating a legacy.

I will probably do it for the rest of my life because one question I ask myself is "What will be my legacy? When I die will I have made a contribution to the world?"  And one way to make a lasting contribution is by writing.  ...
He didn't say anything about being right. He wants a following to carry his "legacy" and he seems to have that.

Lol. We are his followers. Double lol.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor