Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Park your obsessive internet addiction here.

Topic: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World) (Read 211314 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World)
Reply #38325
This article says that cocaine was the first substance to be used for a local anesthetic in dentistry

http://directionsindentistry.net/cocaine-dentistry-local-anesthetic/

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #38326
That's nice, dear.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• uncool
Reply #38327
Ever wonder why all the painkillers were "-ocaine"?

Novocaine, Lidocaine?

Reply #38328
This article says that cocaine was the first substance to be used for a local anesthetic in dentistry

http://directionsindentistry.net/cocaine-dentistry-local-anesthetic/

Poppies and Coca plants.

• Faid
Reply #38329
So dave, did your son get treated, or did you convince him to go all Rambo First Blood on that wound?
Worth repeating
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #38330

Novocaine, Lidocaine?
Because Caine killed abel
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #38331

Novocaine, Lidocaine?

No, never did wonder about that, but what about all the ones and ines?
Codeine
Hydrocodone
Oxycodone
Methadone
Hydromorphone
Morphine

"When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." (Jonathan Swift)

• uncool
Reply #38332
The "-one" are more directly from the chemical name (where "-one" denotes a ketone, where one carbon in a chain double-bonds to an oxygen).

The "-ine" common to cocaine, codeine, and morphine comes from Latin, and seems to basically mean "substance related to", or something similar to that. Substance related to coca, substance related to koilos (hollow), and substance related to Morpheus.

Reply #38333
The "-one" are more directly from the chemical name (where "-one" denotes a ketone, where one carbon in a chain double-bonds to an oxygen).

The "-ine" common to cocaine, codeine, and morphine comes from Latin, and seems to basically mean "substance related to", or something similar to that. Substance related to coca, substance related to koilos (hollow), and substance related to Morpheus.

Interesting. So, what's the answer to your question, the -ocaine?
"When a true genius appears in this world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." (Jonathan Swift)

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #38334
the " -caines" exert their anesthetic effects by blocking a certain class of sodium channels in neurons, which prevents them from transmitting signals. Morphine, and all of those " -ones", are opiates, whose effects are the result of interaction with opioid receptors - a whole different thing.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #38335

The "-ine" common to cocaine, codeine, and morphine comes from Latin, and seems to basically mean "substance related to", or something similar to that.
Usually " -ine" in chemistry is some kind of amine (derivative of ammonia).
Substance related to coca, substance related to koilos (hollow), and substance related to Morpheus.
Well, amine derivative in coca, or amine derivative that induces sleep (Morpheus).  I'm not sure what  koilos refers to here.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• uncool
Reply #38336

Interesting. So, what's the answer to your question, the -ocaine?
That they all are named after cocaine; the suffix "-caine" has come to mean "similar to cocaine", approximately.

Which is funny, given that that suffix still includes the original "-ine" suffix. Wonder if any other prefixes end in "ca-".

• uncool
Reply #38337

The "-ine" common to cocaine, codeine, and morphine comes from Latin, and seems to basically mean "substance related to", or something similar to that.
Substance related to coca, substance related to koilos (hollow), and substance related to Morpheus.
Well, amine derivative in coca, or amine derivative that induces sleep (Morpheus).  I'm not sure what  koilos refers to here.
The etymology for codeine comes from the Greek word "koilos", meaning hollow. Apparently this is a reference to the head of a poppy.

Also, thanks for the clarification.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #38338
... they all are named after cocaine; the suffix "-caine" has come to mean "similar to cocaine", approximately.

Which is funny, given that that suffix still includes the original "-ine" suffix. Wonder if any other prefixes end in "ca-".
Nothing occurs to me, off the top of my head. And I kind of doubt it, since the pharmacological property that all the " -caines" have in common depends on that amine part of the molecule.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #38339
The etymology for codeine comes from the Greek word "koilos", meaning hollow. Apparently this is a reference to the head of a poppy.
I never knew that!
< scurries off to look it up >
codeine
from Greek kodeia "poppy head," related to koos "prison," literally "hollow place;" kodon "bell, mouth of a trumpet;" koilos "hollow, hollowed out, spacious, deep,"
And thank you!

Reply #38340

I can think of a few other heads it might apply to (definitly not yours though)

Reply #38341
Okay Borealis if I get you some coca plants for our 1000 acre Island, can you brew up some local anesthetic?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #38342
Okay Borealis if I get you some coca plants for our 1000 acre Island, can you brew up some local anesthetic?
:facepalm:

Did you know that many plants and animals are restricted to certain climates, and not all of them are "Missouri-like" ?

Reply #38343
:facepalm:

Did you know that many plants and animals are restricted to certain climates, and not all of them are "Missouri-like" ?
well there's got to be something that would work. I figured with Borealis extensive knowledge of plants, she might know about something.

• Photon
  • I interfere with myself
Reply #38344
Sell it as patent medicine, but then dress up old man winter in some brand appropriate colours, teach the world to sing, and make a global juggernaut. Fuck some kid's cut.

Reply #38345
By the way if you're wondering why you are always getting the impression that I think Missouri is the center of the universe... Well... According to the Mormons (RLDS actually) Jesus is going to return to the Swirly Temple in Independence Missouri. So there.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #38346
... well there's got to be something that would work.
because... 
why?

Reply #38347
More etymology from Wikipedia, including another explanation of -ine:

Novocain/Novocaine/Procain seems indeed to be derived from cocaine. The trade name Novocaine is from Latin nov- (meaning "new") and -caine, a common ending for alkaloids used as anesthetics.
Lidocaine was first synthesized under the name 'xylocaine' by a Swedish chemist in 1943. The first part of the name comes from an important metabolite, xylidine.
The German pharmacist Friedrich Wilhelm Adam Sertürner was the first to isolate morphine from opium. He called the isolated alkaloid "morphium" after the Greek god of dreams, Morpheus. He became the first person to isolate the active ingredient associated with a medicinal plant or herb.
Sertürner originally named the substance morphium after the god of dreams,  as it has a tendency to cause sleep.

-ine is a suffix used in chemistry to denote two kinds of substances. The first is a chemically basic and alkaloidal substance.

The name codeine is derived from the Ancient Greek κώδεια (kṓdeia, "poppy head").
Oxycodone's chemical name is derived from codeine. The chemical structures are very similar. One of three differences is that Oxycodone has a hydroxy group at carbon-14 (codeine has just a hydrogen in its place).
Hydrocodone, also known as dihydrocodeinone, is a semi-synthetic opioid synthesized from codeine.

Hydromorphone, also known as dihydromorphinone, is made from morphine. Comparatively, hydromorphone is to morphine as hydrocodone is to codeine - it is a hydrogenated ketone thereof.

I found no explanation of "methadone".

Reply #38348
By the way if you're wondering why you are always getting the impression that I think Missouri is the center of the universe... Well... According to the Mormons (RLDS actually) Jesus is going to return to the Swirly Temple in Independence Missouri. So there.
"I believe that the Garden of Eden was in Jackson County, Missouri."
-4:05 of this amazing testimonial video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlbDHejQFV4

• uncool
Reply #38349
When I looked it up, it was a shortening of the chemical name itself, which had a methyl group and was a ketone. Hence meth- and -one.

Yeah, that shortening threw out a lot of information.