Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: gunnerj callout: are there any good historical anecdotes that aren't bullshit? (Read 530 times) previous topic - next topic

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

gunnerj callout: are there any good historical anecdotes that aren't bullshit?
I just learned that, no, the Dutch didn't buy Manhattan island from the Algonquins for $24 worth of glass beads.  the price was ~$1000 in present day terms.  in retrospect, that still seems ironically low, given how much the property is worth today.  but since it was undeveloped wilderness at the time, and is only a few square miles, the price was actually reasonable.  the "lol, stupid indians" narrative mischaracterizes the deal.  for a people with a hazy concept of property, they did just fine in negotiating with the greedy capitalists.

also, the Aztecs didn't think Cortes was a god.  and the Romans didn't sow Carthage's fields with salt.  and Nero didn't fiddle while Rome burned.  and medieval knights were less like captain america and more like mob enforcers.

then there's that whole pile of american founding mythology.  our system of government is not a radical departure from the British one, so much as closely modeled on it.  and it wasn't designed to be awesome, so much as negotiated to satisfy the demands of the individual states.  and George Washington never cut down the cherry tree or threw a silver dollar across a river.  etc.  etc.

so my question is this.  are there any good historical stories (good = funny or cool) that aren't bullshit?

Re: gunnerj callout: are there any good historical anecdotes that aren't bullshit?
Reply #1
one historical anecdote that is true is "let them eat cake"

Re: gunnerj callout: are there any good historical anecdotes that aren't bullshit?
Reply #2
I'm pretty sure she said brioche
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #3
:no:

While it is commonly attributed to Queen Marie Antoinette,[1] there is no record of this phrase ever having been said by her. It appears in Jean-Jacques Rousseau's Confessions, his autobiography (whose first six books were written in 1765, when Marie Antoinette was nine years of age, and published in 1782). The context of Rousseau's account was his desire to have some bread to accompany some wine he had stolen; however, in feeling he was too elegantly dressed to go into an ordinary bakery, he thus recollected the words of a "great princess".[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake

Reply #4
That's awesome. My joke was apocryphal

Reply #5
:no:

While it is commonly attributed to Queen Marie Antoinette,[1] there is no record of this phrase ever having been said by her. It appears in Jean-Jacques Rousseau's Confessions, his autobiography (whose first six books were written in 1765, when Marie Antoinette was nine years of age, and published in 1782). The context of Rousseau's account was his desire to have some bread to accompany some wine he had stolen; however, in feeling he was too elegantly dressed to go into an ordinary bakery, he thus recollected the words of a "great princess".[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake

jesus christ

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6
you see what I mean?  the good stories are all bullshit.

Reply #7
Please refrain from interfering the next time I try to trigger gunner with fake French history

Reply #8
Well, quit triggering half the forum. Refine your aim. :colbert:

Reply #9
sorry, I do not have an Asperger proof setting

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #10
We're all ST now.

Reply #11
i mean in fairness it was too obvious to me so yeah, but, i am a little surprised it wasn't obvious to everyone :unsure:

Reply #12
also @ the OP, nah it's all pretty much made up bullshit, except for the part about napoleon building sea forts

Reply #13
i want to believe this one is true but it's a tumblr post without even the hint of a reference citation so idk

Reply #14
Napoleon never built sea forts

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #15
The history of the trans-continental railroad is a pretty good, and accurate, read.
Golden Spike at the meeting point, but the government had to step in to stop the UP and CP from building miles past that point in the other directions because the UP and CP acquired land and easement rights for every mile of track.

Credit Mobilier which became the sub-contractor to the UP and over charged for everything while running the "hell on wheels" towns, shoddy work and sub-par materials.  The UP was basically bankrupt when the rail line was completed but the Credit Mobilier was rich.

etc.

Reply #16
^^^
none of this shit actually happened, just a heads up

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #17
also @ the OP, nah it's all pretty much made up bullshit, except for the part about napoleon building sea forts
except of course for the iliad, an effectively anonymous bronze-age story, laced with supernatural elements, and transmitted orally for at least 400 years before first being written down, which nonetheless preserved a lot of nontrivial factual information

Reply #18
There was one story from the wars between France and England where one of the English kings was captured by the French. As was custom at the time, he was exchanged for a large number of hostages so he could raise his own ransom. His ransom was supposed to be 2 million florins, if I remember correctly - but he had insisted that he was worth more, so it was raised to 4 million florins.

But the hostages escaped, and went home, laughing at the French prisons all the way, until they met the king, who considered it a slight on his honor - so he decided to go back to French prison instead. Which is where he died.

Reply #19
i mean in fairness it was too obvious to me so yeah, but, i am a little surprised it wasn't obvious to everyone :unsure:

yeah I thought it was pretty obvious, like the most famous "never actually happened" quote I could think of

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #20
so my question is this.  are there any good historical stories (good = funny or cool) that aren't bullshit?

The resurrection of Jesus Christ.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #21
and then everyone got quiet.  and guapo was ashamed.

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #22
praise him

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #23
for a set of further examples, there is the tendency of the human race to give credit where it isn't due.  discoveries are almost never credited to the person who actually made them.  and when we consider people to be geniuses (whether scientific, military, political, etc.), that is largely a function of luck and the dumb human need to worship heroes.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #24
Columbus really thought he circled the globe and reached India therefore he called the Native Americans Indians.