Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Dave is Going to Jail for Stealing Photos (Read 1374 times) previous topic - next topic

Dave is Going to Jail for Stealing Photos
Or at least that's the rumor ... I got an email from Selz requesting that I either pay for the photo or take down the book.  So I took down the book.  Seven Popes should be happy now.

:wave:

Re: Dave is Going to Jail for Stealing Photos
Reply #1
So how do you feel about being a thieving, dishonest, schmuck?
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #2
Horrible.  I'm probably going to hell.

Reply #3
Actually ... I didn't even know I was stealing anything.  I just mainly was testing the Selz e-book selling system and I wanted a photo so I grabbed one that didn't have any proprietary watermarks.

I earned a grand total of $2.  Wow.  Huge financial damage to the photo owner!

Reply #4
There's that spoilt 8 year old child mentality again.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #5
Lol.

Serves you right, dave.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6
Actually ... I didn't even know I was stealing anything

BULL.

SHIT.

A once "successful businessman" like you should know very well that you do not use random pictures from the internet without checking if they're CC at least.

You just thought you could get away with it.

Serves you right.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #7
:rofl:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #8
Actually ... I didn't even know I was stealing anything.  I just mainly was testing the Selz e-book selling system and I wanted a photo so I grabbed one that didn't have any proprietary watermarks.

You obviously Hawkinsed the copyright details.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #9
Also, that picture most certainly did have a watermark. Dave is either downright lying, or he found the picture somewhere else online and didn't bother to see if the site gave credit.

• Photon
  • Needs a Life
  • I interfere with myself

Reply #10
The morality of stealing is dependent upon whether the thief makes a profit from the theft. That's good Christian logic.

Thou shalt not steal, except if thou makest small amounts of silver, then stealeth to thy heart's content.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #11
Maybe he's all for the Prosperity Gospel. "If I make a profit from my actions, that means that God rewards me, therefore my actions are righteous".

That might also explain him voting for Trump.

Reply #12

You have no integrity.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused

Reply #13

Classic 'brilliant, brave, and scrupulously honest' Dave.

Thanks for the lulz.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

Reply #14
Thou shalt not steal. Why is it always the xians?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #15

How could you not know? Every photo, poster, illustration on the internet originates with an individual photographer, designer, artist unless they are at least half a century old. Using a photo without permission for the purpose of enhancing sales for your product is direct theft, there does not have to be a watermark as all original works are automatically protected - watermarks are just an extra layer of protection.

There are Creative Commons works that can be used just with an accreditation.
You could take your own photos, or ask a friend.
You could contact the photo owner and ask permission to use it freely.

Bottom line - you don't give a shit about other people's creative property rights and think it's amusing when you get caught.

Reply #16
Thou shalt not steal. Why is it always the xians?
Dave's brand of Christian feels entitled to this kind of theft. In their minds intellectual and creative property is ephemeral and to be used up in the same manner as the earth itself. They'd hesitate to steal a car or a cow because then you have direct and substantial opposition, plus everyone can see what you did.

I've encountered this attitude personally. Christians utterly astonished and rather hurt that I didn't want to give them my time and talent for free.

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #17

Dave, the financial damage to the photo owner isn't what you made from it.  It's what you should have paid the photographer and didn't.  Which was considerably more than $2.

And you should have known:

http://www.pro-imaging.org/departments/photographers-rights/copyright-law-introduction/

Copyright - The Right to Economic Benefit

Copyright law gives photographers rights with regard to the photographs they create, to protect these photographs against unauthorised reproduction by others, and to entitle the photographer to the economic benefits of licensing their work for use. Without such rights enshrined in law it would be difficult if not impossible to make a living as a photographer.

As a photographer, you have the following exclusive rights with regard to photographs you have created -

The right to reproduce the photograph
    The right to distribute copies of the photograph to the public
    The right to rent or lend the work to the public
    The right to broadcast the work to the public
    The right to make an adaption of your image

As the copyright owner you can authorise others to perform any of the above.

Copyright in a work is infringed by a person who without the license of the copyright owner, does, or authorises another to do, any of the above acts restricted by the copyright.

Copyright is automatically granted as soon as the photograph has been created. You do not need to register a photograph for it to have copyright. In the UK there is no public authority with which to register photographs, but there is in the USA. Even in the USA it is not essential to register a photograph for it to be protected by copyright. However, it is an advantage to do so should you need to go to court as it could result in increased damages and recovery of lawyers fees.

Reply #18
There's that spoilt 8 year old child mentality again.
I think you're insulting a lot of 8 year olds here.....

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #19
Yeah. It's like when people compare Donald Trump to an 8 year old, or a four year old, or a two year old, or whatever.

I've known people at all those age with more maturity than Trump, or Dave, has ever shown.

Although maybe 14 hits a low spot....

Reply #20
Or at least that's the rumor ... I got an email from Selz requesting that I either pay for the photo or take down the book.  So I took down the book.  Seven Popes should be happy now.

Dave, it's illegal to use someone's copyrighted intellectual property without permission or payment, if required. You could have asked someone to illustrate your book's cover, or simply taken your OWN picture to put on it.

Everyone who's ever had their intellectual property stolen and used without attribution is happy now -- and those of us who know that stealing is a crime.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #21

Have you paid NCSE the $100 you promised to pay a year and a half ago?
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Seven Popes
  • Needs a Life
  • So would the opposite be a good-ger?

Reply #22
Well well well.
Dave, when I visited your site, I saw the e-book ad and clicked, seeing a shot of the cover. 
I immediately guessed that the picture was not yours, and assumed (correctly) that you stole it.
I have the tineye extension installed in my browser, and did what you should have done back in 2014 when you first started selling it, I image searched.
In three minutes, I found the source, I found the licence (but picked the wrong one, a cheap one, thanks Pingu!)
I told you about it, informing you that unless you licenced it it was stolen.  You did nothing.  Days passed, and I warned you, but you kept the stolen image, so I did the right thing, and told the rights owner that her image had been scumbagged.

Having the offending "book" taken down does not morally absolve you, you owe the licence IMG company for the use.    They won't sue you, but you owe them the money.  And you won't pay because you are dishonest.
You may hear people saying how fast they can make compost -- some say only a few weeks. Stay away from these people as they don't know what they're talking about. --Humanure handbook

Reply #23
Dave Hawkins are you still facing those Kids4Truth allegations as well?

Reply #24
"Kids4Truth allegations"

Lol