Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Pingu Explains Big Pharma Shenanigans (Read 121 times) previous topic - next topic

Pingu Explains Big Pharma Shenanigans
From meep's vaccine thread ...

"Ironically (perhaps) this is the kind of shenanigans that pharmaceutical companies are prone to get up to - run lots of studies, measure lots of effects, and only report the ones where "p<.05" and claim victory.  It's why, finally, there is increasing insistence that protocols are published before a trial begins.  Things are still too lax though.  Journals should refuse to publish any treatment study that not only didn't have its protocol published before the trial began, but from any company that does not routinely publish its protocols in advance.  Too many journals are still a bit wet about this."

This is what I have been (clumsily perhaps) trying to say for a long time.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Re: Pingu Explains Big Pharma Shenanigans
Reply #1
:rofl:  No. That is not what you have been trying to say.
That came up when YOU  attempted to introduce just exactly that kind of isolated outlier "statistically significant" finding, and "claim victory" for the thoroughly discredited MMR-autism connection.

You are either lying or you are simply too DK to know what the words you are quoting mean.

• Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:11:05 AM by VoxRat
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #2
From meep's vaccine thread ...

"Ironically (perhaps) this is the kind of shenanigans that pharmaceutical companies are prone to get up to - run lots of studies, measure lots of effects, and only report the ones where "p<.05" and claim victory.  It's why, finally, there is increasing insistence that protocols are published before a trial begins.  Things are still too lax though.  Journals should refuse to publish any treatment study that not only didn't have its protocol published before the trial began, but from any company that does not routinely publish its protocols in advance.  Too many journals are still a bit wet about this."

This is what I have been (clumsily perhaps) trying to say for a long time.

So you also accept that the Hooker study was bullshit?

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3
Anyway, Dave, if you are concerned about this, I recommend Ben Goldacre's book, Bad Science.

Warning: the bad science he discusses is not limited to bad science by pharmaceutical companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Science_(book)

Reply #4
:rofl:  No. That is not what you have been trying to say.
That came up when YOU  attempted to introduce just exactly that kind of isolated outlier "statistically significant" finding, and "claim victory" for the thoroughly discredited MMR-autism connection.

You are either lying or you are simply too DK to know what the words you are quoting mean.

Is this a trick question?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #5
Anyway, Dave, if you are concerned about this, I recommend Ben Goldacre's book, Bad Science.

Warning: the bad science he discusses is not limited to bad science by pharmaceutical companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Science_(book)
His website is pretty good sometimes too.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6
He's great.  I recommend him to the medical students!