Reply #25
 He makes up his own definition of "simple."

Good God

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Re: JonF's "Simple" Circuit
Reply #26
Jesus Christ
uM, Bluffy, that mythical figure had nothing whatsoever to say about electrical circuits.
Are we there yet?

• Pingu
Reply #27
He makes up his own definition of "simple."

Good God

No.  None of those definitions are made up by JonF:

"A simple electrical circuit consists of three main elements: a current source wiring, and an electrical load. The current source provides power, wiring carries power to the load, and the load uses the power. Electricity flows in a continuous loop from source to load and back again."

"A simple circuit is a circuit containing one voltage or current source in series with, or in parallel with, one load. Since it is a simple circuit, both definitions, series and parallel, are equivalent and mean the same thing.:

"A simple electrical circuit consists of three main elements: a current source wiring, and an electrical load. The current source provides power, wiring carries power to the load, and the load uses the power. Electricity flows in a continuous loop from source to load and back again."

"Complex circuits cannot be reduced to a single resister and contain components that are neither a series nor a parallel. In this type of circuit, resistors are connected in a complicated manner."

No, I'm not surprised. He doesn't even know what "simple circuit" means.  Wotta maroon.
Quotation marks indicate a quotation from somebody else.  You seem to think it indicates something you made up yourself.

I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• JonF
Reply #28
Simple circuit my ass ...

Reaching way back into my memory banks, I think this is how I would set it up

Use KCL for the first three equations and then KVL applied to both loops.

There are four unknowns -  The  unknown voltages of the four nodes - so this should be enough to solve it.
That looks right.  Since it took you so long to figure out I doubt it came from your memory.

"Simple circuit" is a technical term and refers to the lack of mathematical complexity, not how much calculation is required.  See the definitions I posted. Especially there's no time dependence, only one source, and no nonlinearities.  It's just linear equations with an answer guaranteed.  Simple.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #29
Still, at least he figured it out.

• JonF
Reply #30
"Simple circuit"

He pulls a circuit off  The blog of a practicing electrical engineer who solves the thing using Spice.

Jesus Christ what an asshole.
Spice isn't necessary, just convenient.  His solution is interesting and clever.

It's still a simple linear resistive circuit with a unique solution guaranteed.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• JonF
Reply #31
"Simple circuit"

He pulls a circuit off  The blog of a practicing electrical engineer who solves the thing using Spice.

Jesus Christ what an asshole.

Dave, you idiot.  The blog problem was from XKCD

The engineer solved the problem for an infinite grid.  JonF didn't ask you solve he XKCD problem.
The infinite grid is an old problem.  I think I saw it in the 70's.

Actually, I got it from Googling "simple resistive circuit" (no quotes) and selecting images.  It was near the top and obviously a challenge for Dave.

Reply #32
"simple circuit"

"saw it in the 70s"

"I'm so great and Davey is so dumb"

Jesus Christ what an asshole!

Reply #33
You do realize I graduated from college like 30 years ago, right?

Reply #34
And let me ask another question... What the fuck is the point of this little exercise?

Reply #35
Also if you're so smart why do you say there are 10 unknowns. I only see 4.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #36
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #37
Fun fact, Dave: solving this circuit is an application of linear algebra.

• Pingu
Reply #38

That part I got :)

Reply #39
True.   And I'm waiting on Mr. Smart Guy to explain why he thought there were 10 unknowns.  I'd like to know where he thought he was going to come up with 10 independent equations.

Reply #40
 Or maybe he doesn't realize that if you really do have 10 unknowns that you do in fact need 10 equations.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #41
True.   And I'm waiting on Mr. Smart Guy to explain why he thought there were 10 unknowns.
There are six nodes with unknown currents and four nodes with unknown voltages.  Ten unknowns.
Well, dave...
ARE there six nodes with unknown currents and four nodes with unknown voltages?
Or are there not?

"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #42
True.   And I'm waiting on Mr. Smart Guy to explain why he thought there were 10 unknowns.
There are six nodes with unknown currents and four nodes with unknown voltages.  Ten unknowns.
Well, dave...
ARE there six nodes with unknown currents and four nodes with unknown voltages?
Or are there not?
No there are only four true unknowns - the voltages of those four nodes.  If you know those  four voltages then everything else can be determined.

Yeah you could pick four DIFFERENT unknowns if you like but you are still only going to have four true unknowns  because everything else can be calculated once you find these plus the resistor values given.

Reply #43
 And that's a good thing because I could only come up with five equations  using KCL and KVL  which really reduce to four because the last two both equate to zero.

You can write three independent equations under KCL and then you have two loops for writing equations under  KVL.  But the last two equations both equate to zero so you can consolidate them into one equation, so it appears to me that KVL only produces one independent equation.

Mind you it's been 30 years since I did all that stuff, but I think I've got it right.
  • Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:53:25 PM by Dave Hawkins

Reply #44
 I'd sure like to see Mr. Smart Guy Jon come up with 10 independent equations though.

:popcorn:

• Pingu
Reply #45
Nice to see you getting the rust off those cognitive circuits Dave!

You'll be able to work out that nested hierarchy before long!

Reply #46
X+y = 10
How many unknowns?
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #47

You can't ever give an honest compliment without a spin for your own agenda can you?

That's pretty sad.

Reply #48
X+y = 10
How many unknowns?
oh Jesus. Now Martin is going to school me on matrix algebra.  Go ahead, Martin, come up with 10 independent equations. School me.

:popcorn:

Reply #49

You can't ever give an honest compliment without a spin for your own agenda can you?

That's pretty sad.
actually this is not even a compliment it all because you're telling me that my cognitive circuits have neverworked very well.

I think you probably need to get some rust remover for yourself.