Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Mike Pence said he doesn't believe that smoking kills (Read 1003 times) previous topic - next topic

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • Curmudgeon

Mike Pence said he doesn't believe that smoking kills
I guess "Alternative Science" is the right place for this.
He made that case in an op-ed article published in 2000 and has made no public effort to update his position since.

"Time for a quick reality check," Pence wrote. "Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn't kill. In fact, 2 out of every three smokers does not die from a smoking related illness and 9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer."

I have a feeling there's going to be a high demand for :facepalm: s in the coming years.

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Re: Mike Pence said he doesn't believe that smoking kills
Reply #1
Incredibly, he's worse than Trump, except he has some connection between his brain and his mouth.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• Monad

Reply #2
He made that case in an op-ed article published in 2000 and has made no public effort to update his position since.

"Time for a quick reality check," Pence wrote. "Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn't kill. In fact, 2 out of every three smokers does not die from a smoking related illness and 9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer."

I have a feeling there's going to be a high demand for :facepalm: s in the coming years.

He certainly has a good head for statistics

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3
Incredibly, he's worse than Trump, except he has some connection between his brain and his mouth.
:unsure:

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #4

Actually, he's correct, at least his numbers are. Then again, a non-productive, expensive, and, frankly, disgusting behavoir, other than perhaps bomb disposal, that has a 33% fatality rate as a direct result engaging in it and a 10% rate of contracting some form of cancer (what about throat cancer, mouth cancer, etc, etc) is not really a great endorsement. Imagine any other habit that a third of it's adherents died as result of engaging in it. Or any other behavior that resulted in a 10% cancer contraction rate.
Are we there yet?

• Monad

Reply #5

Actually, he's correct, at least his numbers are. Then again, a non-productive, expensive, and, frankly, disgusting behavoir, other than perhaps bomb disposal, that has a 33% fatality rate as a direct result engaging in it and a 10% rate of contracting some form of cancer (what about throat cancer, mouth cancer, etc, etc) is not really a great endorsement. Imagine any other habit that a third of it's adherents died as result of engaging in it. Or any other behavior that resulted in a 10% cancer contraction rate.

That was my point. Anyone who thinks something that has a 1 in 3 chance of killing you = a good statistic = doesn't have a problem is a moron.
  • Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:44:03 PM by Monad

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6

yabut octohatters.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #7
Using recent health and medical spending surveys, researchers calculated that 8.7 percent of all healthcare spending, or $170 billion a year, is for illness caused by tobacco smoke, and public programs like Medicare and Medicaid paid for most of these costs.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-healthcare-costs-smoking-idUSKBN0JX2BE20141219

• nesb

Reply #8
Using recent health and medical spending surveys, researchers calculated that 8.7 percent of all healthcare spending, or $170 billion a year, is for illness caused by tobacco smoke, and public programs like Medicare and Medicaid paid for most of these costs.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-healthcare-costs-smoking-idUSKBN0JX2BE20141219

This study shows that although per capita health care costs for smokers are higher than those of nonsmokers, a nonsmoking population would have higher health care costs than the current mixed population of smokers and nonsmokers. Yet given a short enough period of follow-up and a high enough discount rate, it would be economically attractive to eliminate smoking.
-http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejm199710093371506#t=article

Reply #9
Lol

*** Imagines a right wing plan to convince people to smoke. Then they can pay for their health care while working, then die before they claim too much pension.

*** Yes, that is pretty fucked up.

Reply #10

New NRA slogan: "Gun's don't kill people, 70% of shooting victims survive!"
http://www.veganpeace.com/gun_control/gundeathsinjuriesusa.htm

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #11
There's actual research on that kind of framing.

Generally, if you say "95% of people have no side effects from this drug" people tend to be fine about taking it, whereas if you say "5% of people have side effects" they tend to be more cautious.

"One out of three smokers dies from a smoking related illness and 1 out of 10 gets lung cancer" would strike most people as pretty scary.

Pence is nauseating, but he has that patronising way of belittling criticism that is a lot cleverer than Trump's.

Or maybe it isn't.  It's hard to know how a President Pence would fare.  We will probably find out.

Reply #12
With his thread title, Voxrat is dishonestly representing what the man says in this article.  Yes, he wrote those exact words.  But context is everything and if you actually read the context, you find out that Pence's point is:  "fighting Big Tobacco" in this way would enlarge government by creating 17 new bureaucracies - a bad thing.

Reply #13
This is the same technique the media uses to mislead TV watchers ... display a dishonest one-liner (or a freeze frame) and hope no one digs deeper.  (Which they probably won't)

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #14
Which is probably wise. If someone posts a dishonest one-liner that misleads people (such as Pence's stupid claim), then that means that someone is willing to blatantly lie to advance his "point", whatever that is, and has no remorse for it.

It's good to know who these people are.

Or are you an "aim justifies whatever means" kind of guy, dave?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #15

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • Curmudgeon

Reply #16
With his thread title, Voxrat is dishonestly representing what the man says in this article.  Yes, he wrote those exact words.  But context is everything and if you actually read the context, you find out that Pence's point is:  "fighting Big Tobacco" in this way would enlarge government by creating 17 new bureaucracies - a bad thing.
Fuck you, Hawkins.
Fuck you with a splintery, broken, tetanus-infested broomstick.
Smoking does kill. Period.
Your guy just said it doesn't.

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #17
He not only said it doesn't.

He was stupid enough to think that the next thing he said somehow supported the first thing.

I have to say, Pence doesn't strike me as being very bright.  I think he's clever in a talk-radio show sort of way.  But that's about as far as it goes.

Reply #18
Did you guys hear that?  Must have been the wind.

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #19
It's been quite breezy lately.

• Seven Popes
  • Needs a Life
  • So would the opposite be a good-ger?

Reply #20
Could this become a smiley?
You may hear people saying how fast they can make compost -- some say only a few weeks. Stay away from these people as they don't know what they're talking about. --Humanure handbook

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #21
That was more one of these:

Reply #22
Fuck you, Hawkins.

Wow.  Such rage!

Reply #23
Fuck you, Hawkins.

Wow.  Such rage!
And with that, a week of Dave's incoherent sputtering about Media dishonesty is down the memory hole.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • Curmudgeon

Reply #24
Just, by the by, the "creating 17 new bureaucracies" thing is completely unsupported and - as nearly as I can tell - another bald-faced  lie made up out of whole cloth.

But by now we've seen enough of these guys not to be surprised by that.