Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Do you know what the most hilarious thing about TR is? It's that there are people who flip out whenever you suggest punishing anyone for anything, on a fucking message board with a written bill of rights, democratic control of the administration, and an almost universal right of appeal. lol

Topic: Mike Pence said he doesn't believe that smoking kills (Read 1244 times) previous topic - next topic

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Re: Mike Pence said he doesn't believe that smoking kills
Reply #25
With his thread title, Voxrat is dishonestly representing what the man says in this article.  Yes, he wrote those exact words.  But context is everything and if you actually read the context, you find out that Pence's point is:  "fighting Big Tobacco" in this way would enlarge government by creating 17 new bureaucracies - a bad thing.
Fuck you, Hawkins.
Fuck you with a splintery, broken, tetanus-infested broomstick.
Smoking does kill. Period.
Your guy just said it doesn't.
Well, Vox, to be honest, he said it's not that bad because it only kills 1 in 3. And he said that 16 years ago.
Are we there yet?

• Pingu
Reply #26
With his thread title, Voxrat is dishonestly representing what the man says in this article.  Yes, he wrote those exact words.  But context is everything and if you actually read the context, you find out that Pence's point is:  "fighting Big Tobacco" in this way would enlarge government by creating 17 new bureaucracies - a bad thing.
Fuck you, Hawkins.

Wow.  Such rage!

I think a lot of us here are pretty angry right now, Dave.  Angry that an ignorant racist narcissist got to be president of your country by getting just enough votes (though by no means the most, and a very long way from a majority) from people as willfully and arrogantly ignorant as he is.

And as you are one of those willfully ignorant and arrogant voters, you will probably find that we will be struggling to extend you as much patience and tolerance as is our wont.

Anti-vaxxers, science deniers,  gay conversion therapy advocates - they do enough damage when they don't control the levers of constitutional power.

But despite the fact that they are a minority of US citizens, their representatives now do.  And the harm that could result is, frankly, terrifying.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #27
Fuck you, Hawkins.
Well, Vox, to be honest, he said it's not that bad because it only kills 1 in 3. And he said that 16 years ago.
He has taken a lot of money from Big Tobacco, and has never revisited those remarks.
Meanwhile, in that article his whole point is that government barging into citizens' decisions is the much greater evil (than a mere 33% death rate).  How hard will I have to search to find his parallel outrage over government intrusion on citizens' choices wrt cannabis? 
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #28
Fuck you, Hawkins.
He has taken a lot of money from Big Tobacco, and has never revisited those remarks.
Meanwhile, in that article his whole point is that government barging into citizens' decisions is the much greater evil (than a mere 33% death rate).  How hard will I have to search to find his parallel outrage over government intrusion on citizens' choices wrt cannabis?
Come on now, Vox, you're comparing apples and oranges here.
Just because the fatality rate of cannabis usage is well below 1% and Pence admits tobacco's rate is 33%, you really can't draw any conclusions as to which presents the greater public safety risk.
Are we there yet?

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #29
Fuck you, Hawkins.

Wow.  Such rage!

I think a lot of us here are pretty angry right now, Dave.  Angry that an ignorant racist narcissist got to be president of your country by getting just enough votes (though by no means the most, and a very long way from a majority) from people as willfully and arrogantly ignorant as he is.

And as you are one of those willfully ignorant and arrogant voters, you will probably find that we will be struggling to extend you as much patience and tolerance as is our wont.

Anti-vaxxers, science deniers,  gay conversion therapy advocates - they do enough damage when they don't control the levers of constitutional power.

But despite the fact that they are a minority of US citizens, their representatives now do.  And the harm that could result is, frankly, terrifying.
It's devolved into a kind of morbid fascination for me. To watch in real time the situation become something straight out of 1984. The dear leader issues an edict, the 'ministry of truth' echoing it, and it becomes today's Truth. Tomorrow's Truth may completely contradict today's, but nobody will care, because today's Truth is the Truth for today.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• Faid
Reply #30
Dave, I'm genuinely interested in what you're saying here.

Do you really think that it's OK to tell a BLATANT and DANGEROUS lie like "smoking doesn't kill", as long as it serves the noble "point" you are making? About fighting Bad Bureaucracy?

Or is it that you didn't really give your post any thought, and it was just a standard knee-jerk response (something like "Shut up, my man Pence is not dishonest, YOU'RE dishonest") without engaging any brain cells?

Can you enlighten me?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #31
Fuck you, Hawkins.

Wow.  Such rage!
There's no way to save this, dave. I strongly advise you not to even try.

Handwave the whole thing with something like "It was 16 years ago, he probably knows better now".

Back away while you still can.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Seven Popes
  • So would the opposite be a good-ger?
Reply #32

Neat.  Like them snugged together like this.
You may hear people saying how fast they can make compost -- some say only a few weeks. Stay away from these people as they don't know what they're talking about. --Humanure handbook

• Monad
Reply #33
Was he in the pay of big tobacco at the time?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #34
Yes.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #35
The hypocrisy of Trump's campaign is just mind-blowing.

I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• JonF
Reply #36
Do you really think that it's OK to tell a BLATANT and DANGEROUS lie like "smoking doesn't kill", as long as it serves the noble "point" you are making? About fighting Bad Bureaucracy?
It's OK If You're A Republican.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• Seven Popes
Reply #37
How weird is it that Dave is lurking this thread, saying nothing?  I guess only Trump is worthy of slavish devotion?
You may hear people saying how fast they can make compost -- some say only a few weeks. Stay away from these people as they don't know what they're talking about. --Humanure handbook

• Monad
Reply #38
Yes.

thanks  - so he's a political prostitute then (actually that probably does a gross injustice to prostitutes)

• Faid
Reply #39
Yes.

thanks  - so he's a political prostitute then (actually that probably does a gross injustice to prostitutes)
Yes. Even Temple ones.

Reply #40
Fuck you, Hawkins.

Hillary supporters are scary.  Their faces turn red with rage and they shoot off their mouths like this.  I just had a guy on Facebook tell me I should end my own life. 

I'm not making any comment about whether or not "smoking kills" ... I think it does.

I'm simply pointing out that this thread title is a dishonest quote mine.

Reply #41
Fuck you, Hawkins.

Hillary supporters are scary.  Their faces turn red with rage and they shoot off their mouths like this.  I just had a guy on Facebook tell me I should end my own life. 

I'm not making any comment about whether or not "smoking kills" ... I think it does.

Thread title: "Mike Pence said he doesnt believe smoking kills"

Mike Pence quote: "Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn't kill"

:hmm:
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #42
Fuck you, Hawkins.

Thread title: "Mike Pence said he doesnt believe smoking kills"

Mike Pence quote: "Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn't kill"

:hmm:
While taking money from Big Tobacco.
Let's not forget that part.

"TRUTH MATTERS"

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #43
We're into decade number two with Dave and he still can't properly identify a quotemine.

FFS Dave, it's a paraphrase.

The important part is the "standard", the unimportant part is the "retard".

HTH
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #44
But you're wrong.
It is neither a quote mine mined quote, nor is it dishonest.
After all these years, you have not learned what either of those terms mean.

Reply #45
 I see so now we are redefining the term "quote mine" from what it was over the past 10 years.

Reply #46
 Which means that Henry Morris' book entitled "that their words may be used against them" and my follow on entitled "more useful quotes for creationists" aren't quite mine projects either.

I suppose Lizzie can take back that accusation now.

Reply #47
 I've been quoting evolutionists for years and everyone here has always screamed bloody murder  every time I did.

Now the shoe is on the other foot and all of a sudden it's not a quite mine.

Classy

• Seven Popes
Reply #48
I've been quoting evolutionists for years and everyone here has always screamed bloody murder  every time I did.

Now the shoe is on the other foot and all of a sudden it's not a quite mine.

Classy
Quite mine?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #49
I see so now we are redefining the term "quote mine" from what it was over the past 10 years.
No we are not.
Where did you get that idea?  :dunno: