Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Foundations that fund alt-science research (Read 259 times) previous topic - next topic

Foundations that fund alt-science research

I am in the process of applying for a massive grant from the John Templeton Foundation to investigate whether proteins have been intelligently designed by an almighty creator. I would like to see if there are other foundations like Templeton which fund cutting-edge cross-disciplinary research. Any names?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Re: Foundations that fund alt-science research
Reply #1
The best cutting edge research you could undertake would be to investigate the effect of a cutthroat razor on your carotid artery.
Truth is out of style

Reply #2
The best cutting edge research you could undertake would be to investigate the effect of a cutthroat razor on your carotid artery.

I don't know what you mean. I am a bioinformatician, evolutionary theorist, developmental biologist, population geneticist, philosopher of science and computational biologist. I am not an anatomist.

Reply #3

I am in the process of applying for a massive grant from the John Templeton Foundation to investigate whether proteins have been intelligently designed by an almighty creator. I would like to see if there are other foundations like Templeton which fund cutting-edge cross-disciplinary research. Any names?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

Reply #4

I don't know what you mean. I am a bioinformatician, evolutionary theorist, developmental biologist, population geneticist, philosopher of science and computational biologist. I am not an anatomist.
Lol.  Remember "degrees of freedom"? 

ETA: Found it  http://www.talkrational.org/archive/showpost.php?p=1009841&postcount=26  
  • Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:04:11 PM by entropy
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #5

I don't know what you mean.
Kill yourself.
Truth is out of style

Reply #6
Seriously though.  please give us details on this ground breaking proposal you've put together.   Hawkins is the only decent chew toy that survived the TR apocolypse and he's pretty much chewed out...   :(

Reply #7
Seriously though.  please give us details on this ground breaking proposal you've put together.   Hawkins is the only decent chew toy that survived the TR apocolypse and he's pretty much chewed out...   :(

He applied to the Templeton foundation? I am also looking at the Wolfson foundation and the Wellcome Trust.

Reply #8

I am only at the inquiry stage. I propose transliterating protein sequences into human language sentences.

Reply #9

I am only at the inquiry stage. I propose transliterating protein sequences into human language sentences.
Huh.  So how would that work?

Reply #10
It kind of sounds like the same numerology you've been peddling for years now.   Remember your statistical test for Intelligent Design?  

I've missed you, Joe.

Reply #11
OMG... Joe discovers codon tables.   http://talkrational.org/archive/showthread.php?p=2389099#post2389099

Good times...

Reply #12
Joe discovers that there is more than one tRNA per amino acid.  http://talkrational.org/archive/showthread.php?p=2390327#post2390327

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #13

Called it.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #14

Lol.  Remember "degrees of freedom"? 

ETA: Found it  http://www.talkrational.org/archive/showpost.php?p=1009841&postcount=26  
Good times.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #15

Find the optimal matching of human language characters to protein characters (transliteration) and then see what the transliterated sequences reveal in terms of words. You need a language with 20 characters. There are several candidates.

Reply #16

Find the optimal matching of human language characters to protein characters (transliteration) and then see what the transliterated sequences reveal in terms of words. You need a language with 20 characters. There are several candidates.
So, what have the proteins *said* to you, so far?  

Reply #17

Called it.
Sorry, what did you call?

Reply #18

So, what have the proteins *said* to you, so far?  

DEVS CREATOR EST

Reply #19

NAMBLA sounds like it would be right up your alley.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #20

Called it.
Sorry, what did you call?
Well it wasn't just me. Years ago, many had noticed that clastie is putting too much effort in his trolling to be doing it just for teh lulz, so we speculated that he might be trying to make a name for himself and then get employed by the DI, or some other fundy money-pit. Making shitty pseudo-research for christian propagandists who don't care about the actual science, and have tons of cash to spend, is probably Joe's dream job.

Reply #21
Well it wasn't just me. Years ago, many had noticed that clastie is putting too much effort in his trolling to be doing it just for teh lulz, so we speculated that he might be trying to make a name for himself and then get employed by the DI, or some other fundy money-pit. Making shitty pseudo-research for christian propagandists who don't care about the actual science, and have tons of cash to spend, is probably Joe's dream job.

I gave up on the DI and ID long ago. At first, I welcomed intelligent design as a sophisticated form of creationism. However, I now think it is an intellectually dishonest enterprise and also incredibly inane. I have told Stephen Meyer many times that philosophically inferring design is one thing, but claiming design as an *explanation* or *cause* for biological complexity is unscientific.  Scientists need to now more than just that. They need mechanismsm, principles and processes. At least Behe has tried to claim that God generates beneficial directed mutatiohs and leaves natural selection do the rest.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #22

I gave up on the DI and ID long ago. At first, I...
Aaaaand stopped reading.

Reply #23

I gave up on the DI and ID long ago. At first, I...
Aaaaand stopped reading.

I am now very much into niche construction.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #24
Has your mother finally kicked you out of the basement?