Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: because that other board banned you

Topic: Virginia Governor's Race (Read 1287 times) previous topic - next topic

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Re: Virginia Governor's Race
Reply #50
Christie just needs to place 3rd in a hot dog eating contest down the shore, and he'll be back on top.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #51
Northam was a fucking idiot on sanctuary cities.  From CNN:

Northam absolutely botched his position on sanctuary cities in the closing weeks of the race -- insisting that despite his vote to kill a bill in the state Senate that would ban sanctuary cities (even though Virginia doesn't have any!), he actually would have voted in support of the legislation he killed if Virginia did have any sanctuary cities.

I'm sorry, but this is not "crystal clear," it is "Hillary Clinton on Gay Marriage" clear.  That is, stupidly confusing and reeking of opportunism.

Also, the Latino Victory Fund is apparently run by a bunch of fucking idiots.  These are self inflicted wounds.

Alright, my bad, I misunderstood that commotion. Still, Gillespie is an asshole. He's from New Jersey, guys.

In other news, New Jersey also elects a new governor today.
Either the republican (Kim Guadagno, Christie's lieutenant gov.) or the democrat (Phil Murphy, Goldman-Sachs alum).
The only question seems to be: by how large a margin will the republican lose.

Some pundits are saying Christie has ruined things for NJ Republicans for a whole generation. lol nope. I mean, they're likely to lose the governorship today, but NJ Republicans as a whole aren't fucking going anywhere. Plus the state is very forgiving of disastrous shitbag governors. If they weren't, neither party would ever be able to win an election again.
yeah, I know a lot of new Jerseyans, including my wife and in-laws, and I get the sense they have pretty low expectations of their politicians

Reply #52
Why is his campaign a big wet fart? The reality is that good candidates are usually kind of fucking boring, especially when we've all been over-stimulated by the insanity of some of these lunatic campaigns.

And lol unnecessary race-baiting sanctuary cities shit? For real? Gillespie has been race-baiting for fucking weeks, putting out pretty disgusting ads about how MS-13 is going to rape your grandma and Northam is going to hold her down and how Northam loves child molesters and illegals and how we need to preserve OUR HERITAGE and protect ARE STATUES. Northam's position on sanctuary cities, which aren't even allowable under Virginia law in the fucking first place, was crystal clear since at least October, but him saying it suddenly became A Thing because people are fucking dumb.

What? Gillespie is garbage but that doesn't have anything to do with Northam.

Northam tacked right and came out against sanctuary cities, which he didn't need to do because they don't exist in VA. Dumb people are going to be dumb and lefties love having a single reason not to vote for someone, so it seems like a potentially important unforced error to make it A Thing right at the end rather than hammering Gillespie for being a race-baiting asshole.

Reply #53
NoVa turnout has already exceeded 2013 in some places

• ksen
Reply #54
That's the good part, right?

Reply #55
Yes, that's the part that's mostly dominated by Washington DC types. Appalachia is the prime MAGA territory.

• nesb
Reply #56
Oh hey:

The NAACP says voters in northern Virginia have received phone calls from people who are lying to them and telling them their polling place has changed.

The NAACP says the calls are fraudulent and an attempt to suppress the vote. Virginia voters are choosing a new governor Tuesday.

The NAACP says the out-of-area calls have been reported in Prince William County, as well as in Manassas and Manassas Park.

Hillary Clinton received about 5 percent more votes in Prince William County than Donald Trump did during the 2016 presidential election.

The NAACP says voter protection services are aware of the issue.
-https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/the-latest-polls-open-for-nj-va-governors-races/2017/11/07/fb5c3f82-c3b1-11e7-9922-4151f5ca6168_story.html?utm_term=.b7943668bf23

Same old song and dance.

Reply #57
Weird how there's always stories about Democratic voters being targeted with that sort of bullshit but never Republican voters

Reply #58
How does that even happen?

• ksen
Reply #59
Weird how there's always stories about Democratic voters being targeted with that sort of bullshit but never Republican voters
Don Jr tried it with Republicans . . . twice!

http://fortune.com/2017/11/07/donald-trump-jr-gets-virginia-election-day-wrong-twice-on-twitter/

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #60
That's the good part, right?
Arlington's nickname is the People's Republic of Arlington

• nesb
Reply #61
You guys can yell at me if I jinx it, but media outlets are already calling it for Northam. Which hopefully means Republicans will back off any plans to run faux-Trump campaigns. Although, if it's a losing strategy, maybe hopefully they don't.

Reply #62
They're calling it a Dem 'sweep'...in VA and NJ. Do two states count as a sweep?

• nesb
Reply #63
If Democrats win big down-ballot, I guess you could call it a sweep.

Reply #64

Apparently a DSA guy won down ballot, and a trans woman best the GOP house whip who wrote one of those bathroom bills.

Reply #65
can we make this a general 2017 election results thread? because there are some pretty awesome wins coming in

Reply #66

Glad to see DSA candidates winning primaries and then races rather than just being another self defeating leftist circle jerk

Reply #67

Reply #68

Reply #69
Glad to see DSA candidates winning primaries and then races rather than just being another self defeating leftist circle jerk

also lee carter had basically 0 support from the dem party despite running on their line but beat the GOP majority whip anyway, lolll 4ever

eta: and just look at the insidious and compelling propaganda campaign he was up against!!

Reply #70
Medicaid expansion passes in Maine

• nesb
Reply #71
So somehow, everyone I voted for in the non-partisan Portage mayoral and city council elections won. That's obviously the real big news of the night.

Reply #72
Anyone know the age breakdown of the Virginia voters?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #73

Oh there is still plenty of time for that

Reply #74
we weathered a decent sized storm right after the convention after a year that saw like 500% membership growth so i am cautiously optimistic about our ability to not implode or fragment or devolve into a cult of personality at the first sign of trouble!