Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: *flounce*

Topic: One space or two? (Read 624 times) previous topic - next topic

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
One space or two?
Do you put one or two spaces after a period when you're typing?

Why do you do what you do at the end of a sentence, whatever it is that you do?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Re: One space or two?
Reply #1
I was trained to use two spaces because I'm old. I'm trying to change to one, but old habits are hard to break.

Reply #2
I worked in design and advertising for a long, long time. One space. The reason for two had to do with old actual metal typesetting type and long projects and typewriters with hammer keys. No advertiser or designer has ever used that convention because it's distracting unless they were setting type for a book.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #3
Wordpress may finally cure me of two spaces. I'm finding it a difficult habit to break.

Testy did you take a typing class in school?

Reply #4
I am about your age and I still hunt and peck. I'm really fast at hunting and pecking, maybe 35 or 40 wpm if I'm on a roll. No. I've tried to learn touch typing a few times but most of my computer work requires a mouse or tablet almost always so most of my typing is one handed plus a couple of free left hand fingers here and there. And before, say, 1990 or so, I drafted everything except business correspondence longhand because it was going to be typeset anyway and I used more whiteout than ribbon unless I was going painfully slow.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #5
Two spaces, which is how I learned at school. I can kind of break the habit if I'm posting, but when I write papers, I still find myself using 2 spaces without even thinking.

eta the thing that's starting to break me of the habit is that this laptop's space bar doesn't work so well on the right, and I only use my right thumb for the space bar, so it's that much extra effort sometimes and well :effort:

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #6
I am about your age and I still hunt and peck. I'm really fast at hunting and pecking, maybe 35 or 40 wpm if I'm on a roll. No. I've tried to learn touch typing a few times but most of my computer work requires a mouse or tablet almost always so most of my typing is one handed plus a couple of free left hand fingers here and there. And before, say, 1990 or so, I drafted everything except business correspondence longhand because it was going to be typeset anyway and I used more whiteout than ribbon unless I was going painfully slow.

I think most of the people who develop the habit learned it in typing class. I wonder if people who learned to type on a typewriter and now teach typing on computer keyboards teach two spaces or not.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #7
I learned in typing class on a typewriter, but we had computers also (like 4 computers in a class of 30 students) that we took turns on.

• MikeS
Reply #8
Typing class on older manuals in the early '80s.  Two spaces or you were marked wrong.

Reply #9

I think most of the people who develop the habit learned it in typing class. I wonder if people who learned to type on a typewriter and now teach typing on computer keyboards teach two spaces or not.
I don't know but I do know that I use one space because that was a rigidly enforced norm in my industry.

Reply #10
Two.  Learned on a typewriter in high school.

Also, oxford comma for life.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #11

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #12
Monospaced fonts went out in the 1970s.
We are now 17 years into the 21st century. One space.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• ffejrxx
Reply #13
there is only one space
its big, really big

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #14
Learnt on typewriter at high school. Two spaces then. Single space now. Two looks weird.

• Pingu
Reply #15
I can't not type two spaces. 

I think you can probably tell the age and possibly sex of the person who typed a piece of text by whether there are two spaces.

Women of a certain age type two.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #16
Sometimes you need a dot that isn't the end of a sentence (said Mr. Brown).  One space for those.  Two spaces at the end of a sentence.

Typing class circa 1980 on a manual typewriter.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #17
Sometimes you need a dot that isn't the end of a sentence (said Mr. Brown).  One space for those.  Two spaces at the end of a sentence.

Typing class circa 1980 on a manual typewriter.

same.

Reply #18
Wordpress may finally cure me of two spaces. I'm finding it a difficult habit to break.

Testy did you take a typing class in school?
I was taught the two space method in typing class in high school, but abandoned it as soon as I finished the class. One space, every time.

Reply #19
One space. Taught in Finland, when using computers in middle school/high school in the mid-90s.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #20
One space. Self taught. Instinct.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #21
Two spaces. From typing class in 5th grade on.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #22
i  didnt  think  women  of  your  respect  inducing  age  got  periods

Reply #23
i  didnt  think  women  of  your  respect  inducing  age  got  periods
To be fair, periods are complicated.

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #24
I get yelled at by our copy editor for using two spaces, but it's a habit I can't break.  Plus, I don't give a fuckin shit.

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #25
This is more about having the existential courage to overcome one's ontological anxiety of letting go of the two spaces and adapting to the modernized one space.

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #26
I use an application called Scrivener for most of my writing these days, especially writing that may wind up in downloadable bookish format.  Fortunately, Scrivener automatically strips double spaces after end-of-sentence periods when you export the file.

It also automatically converts "..." to "..." and multiple dashes into either endashes or emdashes depending on quantity (which Word also does most of the time).

I kinda wonder what other typographical abominations Scrivener automatically fixes.
  • Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:57:59 AM by ravenscape

• MikeS
Reply #27
This is more about having the existential courage to overcome one's ontological anxiety of letting go of the two spaces and adapting to the modernized one space.
I
will
just
replace
my
two
spaces
with
carriage
returns
after
every
word.
<space>
<space>
So
there.
<space>
<space>

• MikeB
Reply #28
Learned typing in early 1960s, two spaces was specifically taught.  While reading it seems easier to parse sentences with two spaces between.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #29
I use an application called Scrivener for most of my writing these days, especially writing that may wind up in downloadable bookish format.  Fortunately, Scrivener automatically strips double spaces after end-of-sentence periods when you export the file.

It also automatically converts "..." to "..." and multiple dashes into either endashes or emdashes depending on quantity (which Word also does most of the time).

I kinda wonder what other typographical abominations Scrivener automatically fixes.
My niece likes Scrivener. I should get it.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #30
Took a brief typing class in high school, last couple of weeks after my folks and I got back from a 7 month trip to Europe (Dad was an English teacher - pioneer in ESL back in the 60's). One space, reinforced by Dad, he could do 150 WPM on a bad day, but that was on a Selectric. In his classes, he didn't really care, though he advocated one space. He was more interested in the content.
Are we there yet?

• MikeS
Reply #31
Took a brief typing class in high school, last couple of weeks after my folks and I got back from a 7 month trip to Europe (Dad was an English teacher - pioneer in ESL back in the 60's). One space, reinforced by Dad, he could do 150 WPM on a bad day, but that was on a Selectric. In his classes, he didn't really care, though he advocated one space. He was more interested in the content.
My father and grand-father would bang away at their Selectrics.  It was one of the revolutionary machines that was pre-computer but increased productivity across all of business.  Quite a feat for something that is all but forgotten today.

Reply #32
I was trained to use two spaces because I'm old. I'm trying to change to one, but old habits are hard to break.

this is me too

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #33
One space because fonts are proportional you heathen.

I was trained on two too (lol like you were ever taught to type teeth) but we don't use mechanical machines anymore. Its not hard to change.

Always Oxford comma.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #34
Hey, man, I used an electric typewriter for those mini book reports in elementary school, and we definitely had typing class as part of our computer class in middle school. :colbert:

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #35
Oh, god, that's bringing back memories of my typing keyboarding class.  We had 30+ people with 4 computers and the rest on IBM Selectrics, so maybe once every two weeks you got a day on the computer instead of the typewriter.

The idiot instructor decided everyone should go through the tutorials from the very beginning on the comp, so when we've moved well beyond the home row on the typewriters, we had to go back and do the very basics on the PC.  One friend discovered that the typing tests on the computer didn't count errors, so you could just hold down a single letter key and get 100+ WPM and move on to the next lesson.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #36
One space, self taught, and oxford comma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf_TDuhk3No
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• ffejrxx
Reply #37
Oh, god, that's bringing back memories of my typing keyboarding class.  We had 30+ people with 4 computers and the rest on IBM Selectrics, so maybe once every two weeks you got a day on the computer instead of the typewriter.

The idiot instructor decided everyone should go through the tutorials from the very beginning on the comp, so when we've moved well beyond the home row on the typewriters, we had to go back and do the very basics on the PC.  One friend discovered that the typing tests on the computer didn't count errors, so you could just hold down a single letter key and get 100+ WPM and move on to the next lesson.
im my pc typing class it was cake to win the 'how many times can you type this sentence in a minute' using ctrl+a, ctrl+c, ctrl+end ctrl+v repeat
and the teacher wonders how i got over 10000 wpm

Reply #38
Two, typing in high school.  These days I don't think it matters one way or the other, there's no reason to unlearn the old habit.

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #39
do you go back and 'fix' it when Word copy-pastes just the single space?

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #40
I type two spaces.  It's how I learned and I always thought it made it easier to process the end of the sentence.  I think most of the software I use strips the second space out, though, and I don't care enough to fight with it.

Also oxfords comma, because the lack of it is asinine.
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

• MSG
Reply #41
braying among the ruins

Reply #42

Reply #43

• Pingu
Reply #44
I just do find and replace before final submission.  You have to do it a few times, for the places you end up with more than two.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #45
in the process of converting from 2 spaces to 1 for my default.  I still sometimes like two, because I think it can help the reader parse a dense paragraph. when I consciously change a double space to a single, it is often to save the last word of the paragraph from being pushed onto a new line. not only are extraneous lines where tree murder really happens, but now that poor word is down there all by himself, away from his friends.

I learned to type mostly on computers but a little bit on automatic typewriters, in the 80s and 90s. my typing style is partly a fast hunt & peck, but somewhat morphed toward touch typing through sheer experience. but I also have this third component of auto-generating large amounts of text through form paragraphs and autocorrect "hacks" for common phrases (e.g., "wrt" -> "with respect to").

fun fact: our form paragraphs, which are handed down to all of us from on high, are inconsistent about single and double space after periods.