Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Not nearly as retarded as those other "rational" sites.

Topic: August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Over USA (Read 525 times) previous topic - next topic

August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Over USA
Best Places To View

I tried looking (belatedly, as it turns out) for lodging within the eclipse track for August 20-21. Guess what, folks? Rooms are going fast and they aren't cheap. In the area of Casper and Douglas, WY, for example, most AirBnB homes are starting at around $500/night for August 19-20 and most places want a 3-day minimum stay, so $1500.00 or more is what you can expect to pay.  The hotels in the area, if they have any rooms, are charging almost as much as the AirBnB rentals.  I haven't checked in more populous areas, but the price pressure might be less in Kansas City or St. Louis, which are on the southern and northern limits of totality.

I finally located some rooms convenient to the path of totality in Sidney, Nebraska for $224/night and no 3-night minimum.  It's on a interstate (I-80) which runs east right through the path of totality, and it's little over an hour's drive north on state highways to the centerline of totality near Alliance, NE.  So there are lots of options to travel to avoid cloud cover, if need be.

The maximum eclipse duration occurs near Carbondale, IL, at 2:41. Where I chose to go it lasts around 2:32 but the prospects for clear skies are about as good as it gets in west Nebraska and east Wyoming.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Re: August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Over USA
Reply #1

Reply #2
I'm lucky, it goes right over my house in Columbia, South Carolina.
A walk through the ocean of most mens souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

• Pingu
Reply #3
When I was little, I had an astronomy book that gave dates for eclipses way into the future.  I remember figuring which ones I'd be alive for and where I'd have to be.

I remember this one!  

But won't make it, sadly.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #4
I'm in Savannah, GA. You're welcome to crash at my place if you want. You'll need a sleeping bag or something though, because I don't even have a couch. :p

Reply #5
NASA Visualization Explorer: Shadow of the Eclipse
On August 21, 2017, the moon will pass between Earth and the sun in a total solar eclipse that will be visible on a path from Oregon to South Carolina across the continental United States. This path of totality will occur in a little over 90 minutes, while observers on the ground will see the eclipse for about two and a half minutes. Standing at the edge of the moon's shadow, or umbra, the difference between seeing a total eclipse and a partial eclipse comes down to elevation - mountains and valleys both on Earth and on the moon - which affect where the shadow lands. In this visualization, data from NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter account for the moon's terrain that creates a jagged edge on its shadow. This data is then combined with elevation data on Earth as well as information on the sun angle to create the most accurate map of the eclipse path to date. Watch the video to learn more.

There are maps for every state, a high res (10800x5400) map of the continental US, and videos of animations showing the umbra crossing terrain, and tons of reference material and data for import into GIS software.

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #6
When I was little, I had an astronomy book that gave dates for eclipses way into the future.  I remember figuring which ones I'd be alive for and where I'd have to be.

I remember this one!  

But won't make it, sadly.

do you recall if there are any in Aus in the next 20 years?

Reply #7
I know a lot of people who are driving up to one of the viewing areas from here. I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking a day off, or shifting my schedule to go.  It's only about an hour from here to a place with total black out.

• MSG
Reply #8
Do it
braying among the ruins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #9
Yeah, do it. It's a rare opportunity and an interesting experience.

Reply #10
I'm old enough I've seen a couple of full eclipses (including from a 14 inch telescope), and several partials.

I might. I need to find out if there's going to be any telescopes or good viewing equipment available where my friends are going.

Reply #11
National Solar Observatory predicts shape of solar corona for august eclipse

"Since we are exactly one solar rotation away from the solar eclipse, we're able to use today's observations to predict the structure of the corona on Aug. 21st" says Petrie. "The corona is not likely to change too much between now and the eclipse, unless we get lucky and a large active region appears! We expect to see faint, straight structures protruding from the north and south poles of the Sun - these are the polar plumes. We will be able to see brighter bulbs of material closer to the equator - these are called helmet streamers."

Reply #12

• MikeS
Reply #13
In central Florida and just checked my rather large pinhole viewer (long box of a new garage door opener).

Sun is presently ~30%, ramping up over the next hour to ~85%.  Partly cloudy but blue sky in between so good viewing when the sun breaks through.

• MikeS
Reply #14
For those who missed (will miss) this one today, In less than 7 years there's another one.

April 8th, 2024.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #15
Here in New Jersey, it's clouded up just as we're approaching maximum eclipse-hood.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #16
It started fucking raining 20 minutes ago. :sadcheer:

• MikeS
Reply #17
Central Florida nearing maximum ~85%.  You can tell the dimming of the sunlight for the last 15-20 minutes.

Reply #18
Wow that was cool. All I can say is that totality is nothing like almost totality. Back in PDX now. I will make pilgrimages to see that again.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• MikeS
Reply #19
Central Florida nearing maximum ~85%.  You can tell the dimming of the sunlight for the last 15-20 minutes.
My pinhole box was the garage door opener I installed over the weekend, ~3' deep.

Getting a clear photo was another deal.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #20
So jealous.

I get a chance in seven years, totality will cross New Brunswick, so just a few hours driving.

Assuming I'm still alive.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #21
Got 80%, was cool but I might travel for the next for totality. St Johns? Austin? Hmmm

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #22
I couldn't see anything. Complete cloud coverage. :(

I'll see the next one from the International Space Station when I'll be a space vet for NASA.

• Spode
  • I'm sorry.
Reply #23
I was under it while hiking in the Appalachians. I came to a crossroads in the dirt trail and lingered until the appointed time. Clear skies. It became dark. The cicadas thought it was night. The whole forest erupted in a cacophony announcing the arrival of a god of dubious sanity. I touched the face of Nyarlathotep.

Reply #24
I just got back home from Nebraska.   Too tired to open RAW files or edit video today. So these quick tweets I posted Monday will have to do for now.

• Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:52:44 PM by Autonemesis

Reply #25
Why do I bother?

Reply #26

Reply #27
My girl The Moon is a harsh mistress
Throws shade at me like nobody's business
But I feel no emotional distress
Since melanoma's a risk of sunlight in excess

(looking for a dope beat)

• CORed
Reply #28
Viewed the eclipse near Union Pass, Wyoming (close to where the center line of totality crosses the Continental Divide). I didn't get any good pictures, but it was well worth the trip (drove up from Denver).

Reply #29
I drove down from Maryland to Greenville, SC. Had beautiful, clear skies for an amazing view of totality. Definitely well worth it. I'm already planning to make sure I'm somewhere in the path of totality in 2024 too. Anyone in the U.S. who didn't get to totality for this one absolutely should try to make it there for that one.