Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Wow.  TR's regrettable habit of pointing and laughing at newbies is positively welcoming in comparison with such barrages of faux-righteous anger.   (re A+)

Topic: Whatcha playing'? (Read 2010 times) previous topic - next topic

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Re: Whatcha playing'?
Reply #25
well if you can have battles with thousands of players on the field at once I would say go for it. But if it requires the learning curve of EVE, where you have to spend x time as a page, learn how to mine, then forge, pig iron into steel swords, then pass.

Reply #26
yeah see that's why I don't want to go play eve, I just wanna camp the bank in my death robes and spam steal

Reply #27
this is why I play borderlands

Reply #28
finding myself spending less and less time "actually playing games" than modding them, which seems bad but i also don't particularly feel like judging myself for having fun in a different way

anyone play stellaris?

Reply #29
I sometimes play stellaris. I keep getting fucked by the fallen empires.

Reply #30
what, while they're still dormant or after they awaken? what happens, and is it a particular type each time?

• ksen
Reply #31
finding myself spending less and less time "actually playing games" than modding them, which seems bad but i also don't particularly feel like judging myself for having fun in a different way

anyone play stellaris?
I've got it and started it a few times but have never completed a game yet.

• ksen
Reply #32
I was playing EU4 a lot for awhile until the Mandate of Heaven dlc came out and now China is an unstoppable force in the game from the very beginning.  Makes playing in Asia not that fun.

Reply #33

anyone play stellaris?
the idea of "completing" paradox games confuses me and i have no idea why it has victory conditions

Reply #34
I was playing EU4 a lot for awhile until the Mandate of Heaven dlc came out and now China is an unstoppable force in the game from the very beginning.  Makes playing in Asia not that fun.
it's hilarious that mapgames can't really account for why china did not actually turn into a horrifying unstoppable colossus.

Reply #35
what, while they're still dormant or after they awaken? what happens, and is it a particular type each time?

normally I'm Jewing it up and trying to settle as much territory as possible without fully exploring the surrounding area and ensuring I understand the local politics. Fallen empires don't like it when your territory presses up against theirs. Then they send a couple of 10k fleets to basically every one of your colonies.

I hear the most recent update modifies this dynamic a bit, which is a positive thing.

Reply #36
i follow the game's updates pretty closely and i don't know of anything that sounds specifically like a "fix" for what you're talking about

but. uh.

exploration is like 75% of the early game so if you're not scouting and sending science ships to survey everything around you then idk what you're even doing man. that would let you know before you leap where a FE who hates neighbors is. (it's the xenophobes, the xenophiles will actually give you ships for the low price of letting them take a bunch of your people for a zoo.)

• ksen
Reply #37
it's hilarious that mapgames can't really account for why china did not actually turn into a horrifying unstoppable colossus.
Well, before MoH came out China (Ming) always had a fair shot of disintegrating due to massive rebellions.  Now, even if Ming loses the Mandate their country is solid and will not break up.  Sometimes a very experienced player (which I'm not despite hundreds of hours in the game) can deal with it but even then it's a crap shoot.
  • Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:33:08 AM by ksen

• ksen
Reply #38

anyone play stellaris?
the idea of "completing" paradox games confuses me and i have no idea why it has victory conditions
Yeah, bad wording on my part.  One of the reasons I like Paradox games is the ability to decide what you want to accomplish, i.e. reform Byzantium and just play until you meet the goal you set for yourself.

A lot of times I'll pick out an achievement and try to play until I get that achievement.

• ksen
Reply #39
As far as Stellaris goes I want to be at least competent at it but every time I start I end up being neighbors with a society that within a few turns has a much stronger fleet bearing down on my worlds.  So my games usually last until I have 4 or 5 systems scouted and starting to colonize them.

Maybe I need to just start focusing on military sooner and building up my fleets earlier.

Reply #40
i follow the game's updates pretty closely and i don't know of anything that sounds specifically like a "fix" for what you're talking about

but. uh.

exploration is like 75% of the early game so if you're not scouting and sending science ships to survey everything around you then idk what you're even doing man. that would let you know before you leap where a FE who hates neighbors is. (it's the xenophobes, the xenophiles will actually give you ships for the low price of letting them take a bunch of your people for a zoo.)

I explore like a motherfucker but when I see a really nice habitable planet surrounded by lots of sick-ass resources, I normally jump on it before I make sure it's not bordering on an FE, especially in the early-stage part of the game where territorial expansion is important to build up a legitimately large economy.

Reply #41
i guess i just never experienced that happening so consistently so i don't know what's going on. before it would ever become an issue, i have a good idea of where the local FEs are already.

• ksen
Reply #42
Any other nerds following the Paradox dlc controversy?

The only real problem I have with their dlc policy is their habit of breaking the game and making it mandatory to buy the dlc to "fix" it . . . I'm looking at you Common Sense EU4 dlc.

Reply #43
actually it's about ethics in game marketing

• ksen
Reply #44
It does seem to be a little out of hand when someone looking to start playing Paradox games is faced with having to spend around $200 to get an up to date version of the game.

Reply #45
remember back when you'd buy a game on floppy disks and if the game had problems, your options were to return the physical game to the store and ask for your money back or to spend days on the phone with the company trying to get them to send you a patched version of the game?

pepperidge farm remembers.

Reply #46
or when you accidentally scratched the game disk and now you need to buy a new copy of Halo because it glitches the fuck out when you fire up a match in Hang Em High?

Reply #47
see basically here's the problem in my mind

We want nonstop updates and patches to these games. We want those patches and updates to all be free. We want the price of the game itself to drop to a reasonable amount after an initial roll-out period because that's what physical copies used to do (because stores were trying to move stock). We want online community support.

And oh right we want companies to put these games out as fast as humanly possible without all the bug testing they used to do, often on a kickstarted budget that doesn't account for bug testing. And we harass game designers when they take "too much time" to get the games done (e.g. Half Life 3).

I dunno. I just don't get mad at game companies. I think gamers are mostly a bunch of dinguses.

• ksen
Reply #48
remember back when you'd buy a game on floppy disks and if the game had problems, your options were to return the physical game to the store and ask for your money back or to spend days on the phone with the company trying to get them to send you a patched version of the game?

pepperidge farm remembers.
I remember them being on cassette tape.  :getoffmylawnoldman:

• ksen
Reply #49
see basically here's the problem in my mind

We want nonstop updates and patches to these games. We want those patches and updates to all be free. We want the price of the game itself to drop to a reasonable amount after an initial roll-out period because that's what physical copies used to do (because stores were trying to move stock). We want online community support.

And oh right we want companies to put these games out as fast as humanly possible without all the bug testing they used to do, often on a kickstarted budget that doesn't account for bug testing. And we harass game designers when they take "too much time" to get the games done (e.g. Half Life 3).

I dunno. I just don't get mad at game companies. I think gamers are mostly a bunch of dinguses.

No, I don't think most people do want nonstop updates and patches and games put out as quickly as possible.

I think most people want complete games that aren't a buggy mess upon release.

We don't want "games as a service" as Square-Enix and others are calling it.

Always online, constant patches, micro-transactions (even in single player games now ffs) in full-price games are not things lots of gamers are crying for.

There's a reason CD Projekt Red is one of the more popular publishers/developers around right now.