Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: You just got told some tough truths about conifers that maybe you weren't ready to hear.

Topic: Amelia Earhart Captured by Japanese? (Read 143 times) previous topic - next topic

• Faid
Re: Amelia Earhart Captured by Japanese?
Reply #1
I can't really make out where the plane is supposed to be.

Is there anything more concrete than that picture? That story has been circulating since the seventies at least.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #2
She's sitting on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide roll away

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #3
I'm impressed at their ability to identify a person from a blurry picture of their cheek

Reply #4
If that's even a person. It could be the Japanese version of a tar baby.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #5
I can't really make out where the plane is supposed to be.

I think it is supposed to be the thing behind the boat, at the far right side of the picture.  i don't see a plane there either.

nor do I see where Noonan is supposed to be.  I see one white person here.

also, slightly odd that whoever took this picture would have probably been aware that earhart had recently gone missing and yet didn't think to ask this person who looks like amelia earhart and whose plane is being towed "hey, are you amelia earhart?"

Reply #6

Reply #7
A documentary Series called Star Trek Voyager gives a historically accurate and excellent account or Earhart and Noonan's fate. Would Capt Janeway lie?   :no:  She is a Federation officer, FFS!
Believer in High Powers, and naturally, logarithms.
Pikkiwoki is the one true god.

• MikeS
Reply #8
Blogger discredits claim Amelia Earhart was taken prisoner by Japan

Claims made in a US documentary that the pioneering aviator Amelia Earhart crash-landed on the Marshall Islands in the Pacific Ocean and was taken prisoner by the Japanese appear to have been proved false by a photograph unearthed in a travel book.

The film said the image "may hold the key to solving one of history's all-time greatest mysteries" and suggested it disproved the widely accepted theory that Earhart and Noonan disappeared over the western Pacific on 2 July 1937 near the end of their attempt at a history-making flight around the world.

But serious doubts now surround the film's premise after a Tokyo-based blogger unearthed the same photograph in the archives of the National Diet Library, Japan's national library.

The image was part of a Japanese-language travelogue about the South Seas that was published almost two years before Earhart disappeared. Page 113 states the book was published in Japanese-held Palau on 10 October 1935.

/thread