Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Believe in Dawkins? We can fix that.

Topic: Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV (Read 84 times) previous topic - next topic

Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV
I'm linking to the article through a randomly selected Twitter share to bypass the WSJ paywall.

Carlos Villalobos, 21, who was selling tube-shaped digital antennas at a swap meet in San Diego recently, says customers often ask if his $20 to $25 products are legal. "They don't trust me when I say that these are actually free local channels," he says.

Carlos Villalobos sells digital antennas at a swap meet. PHOTO: RYAN KNUTSON/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
Earlier this year, he got an earful from a woman who didn't get it. "She was mad," he recalls. "She says, 'No, you can't live in America for free, what are you talking about?'"

In 2013, during a congressional hearing about the satellite-television industry, the discussion turned to a contract dispute that temporarily left Time Warner Cable subscribers unable to watch CBS.

"Can I make one point?" said Gerard Waldron, an attorney who testified on behalf of the National Association of Broadcasters. "I just want to emphasize that broadcast is a free, over the air service. So during the so-called blackout, the service was available 100% of the time. I realize that some people might not have antennas, or some people might have reception problems, but I do want to emphasize..."

"So I could have seen CBS if I had rabbit ears?" Congresswoman Karen Bass (D-Calif.) interjected. "I don't think people knew that."

A spokesman for Rep. Bass said she was aware TV antennas existed, just not that the station was still broadcast during a cable blackout.

Wow.
  • Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:37:36 PM by Autonemesis

• F X
  • The one and only
Re: Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV
Reply #1
Yep.  There is also this free thing called radio, where you can pluck music for free from the air.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• MikeS
Re: Millennials Unearth an Amazing Hack to Get Free TV
Reply #2
People don't understand that WiFi (and pretty much all other wireless "technology") is nothing but a digital signal on a carrier wave.  In other words Internet radio.  No more confusing today than when Marconi first transmitted his signal over the airways.