Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: How is this place even a forum?

Topic: Spaghetti and Waffles (Read 243 times) previous topic - next topic

Spaghetti and Waffles
Quillette: Psychologists Claim Google Viewpoint Diversity Manifesto Is Scientifically Accurate

by CHARLIE NASH7 Aug 2017276

Four scientists have claimed that James Damore's Google manifesto is scientifically accurate, as reported by Quillette.
Responding to the viewpoint diversity manifesto, which called for more ideological diversity in Google's workplace and pointed out not only the biological differences between men and women but also how these can apply to work, the four scientists deemed the ten-page document to be scientifically accurate.

"The author of the Google essay on issues related to diversity gets nearly all of the science and its implications exactly right," declared Rutgers University Professor Lee Jussim. "Its main points are that: 1. Neither the left nor the right gets diversity completely right; 2. The social science evidence on implicit and explicit bias has been wildly oversold and is far weaker than most people seem to realize; 3. Google has, perhaps unintentionally, created an authoritarian atmosphere that has stifled discussion of these issues by stigmatizing anyone who disagrees as a bigot and instituted authoritarian policies of reverse discrimination; 4. The policies and atmosphere systematically ignore biological, cognitive, educational, and social science research on the nature and sources of individual and group differences."

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/08/07/scientists-claim-google-viewpoint-diversity-manifesto-is-scientifically-accurate/

Re: Spaghetti and Waffles
Reply #1
Quillette: Psychologists Claim Google Viewpoint Diversity Manifesto Is Scientifically Accurate

by CHARLIE NASH7 Aug 2017276

Four scientists have claimed that James Damore's Google manifesto is scientifically accurate, as reported by Quillette.
Responding to the viewpoint diversity manifesto, which called for more ideological diversity in Google's workplace and pointed out not only the biological differences between men and women but also how these can apply to work, the four scientists deemed the ten-page document to be scientifically accurate.

"The author of the Google essay on issues related to diversity gets nearly all of the science and its implications exactly right," declared Rutgers University Professor Lee Jussim. "Its main points are that: 1. Neither the left nor the right gets diversity completely right; 2. The social science evidence on implicit and explicit bias has been wildly oversold and is far weaker than most people seem to realize; 3. Google has, perhaps unintentionally, created an authoritarian atmosphere that has stifled discussion of these issues by stigmatizing anyone who disagrees as a bigot and instituted authoritarian policies of reverse discrimination; 4. The policies and atmosphere systematically ignore biological, cognitive, educational, and social science research on the nature and sources of individual and group differences."

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/08/07/scientists-claim-google-viewpoint-diversity-manifesto-is-scientifically-accurate/
To the extent that it is accurate, it is a bug not a feature. Google prefers to fix bugs, not find workarounds.

Whether he was right or not, Google can no longer trust him to work productively with at least half of his colleagues, and has no more use for him. Which he would have known if he was moderately intelligent. Google prefers people who are more than moderately intelligent.

• Zombies!
  • Honorary Manipulative Bitch
100 evidences
Reply #2
Dave, why are you ignoring the thread created for you?  YOU said that "we" ignored evidence of a young earth, then you badger when people try to engage you on it.

It is not possible to falsify Creationist propositions.
Though, of course, many consilient methods putting the age of the earth much much much older than the YEC proposition that the universe came into existence < 10000 years ago falsifies that proposition. So the lack of falsifiability of that (and other YEC propositions) isn't so much inherent in the propositions themselves, but in the fact that creationists refuse to accept the results of the tests - coming up with one special pleading after another, and when they all get laughed out of court, simply resorting to "someone must be lying".

Exactly. Or like Todd Wood - sure it looks like things evolved, but Genesis so there must be another explanation, and I'm going to try to find out what it is.  And Todd is honest about that.

Ham just shoves the data under the rug and covers it up with lies and slander.
No he doesn't.  People like YOU do.  For example, you conveniently ignore that list of 100 evidences of a young earth.
No, we evaluate it and thoroughly debunk it and you ignore the fatal flaws in all those "evidences". E.g. each of them is covered at 101 evidences for a young age of the Earth and the universe and An Index to Creationist Claims.

Of course you can't address those issues; the few times you've tried you've badgered early.  And, no, they are not ipso facto biased or invalid.
[/quote]

My own theory is that he kens fine he jist disnae wantae.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #3
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #4
Some interesting speculation as to WHY Damore wrote the memo ... and WHY he might have written in the way that he did ...

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/08/theres-something-odd-about-that-google-memo/

Is he playing chess?

• Zombies!
  • Honorary Manipulative Bitch
Reply #5
Some interesting speculation as to WHY Damore wrote the memo ... and WHY he might have written in the way that he did ...

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/08/theres-something-odd-about-that-google-memo/

Is he playing chess?
"Playing chess" is the new euphemism for "being a dumbass".
My own theory is that he kens fine he jist disnae wantae.

Reply #6
 Well you are entitled to speculate as much as this author is entitled to.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #7

Is he playing chess?
If so, he took a wildly uncertain method of achieving his supposed goal of being fired and profiting from it. 

I suspect Damore had surrounded himself with a nice bubble of like-minded employees in his immediate work environment and thought, wrongly, that he had written his manifesto with enough care to insulate himself from any real backlash - including being fired.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #8
He's... unique:

In November 2013 he wrote a Facebook post titled the "Efficient Guide to Effciency," saying:
This guide is written under the premise that if you're not brushing your teeth, going to the bathroom, answering emails, and doing yoga all at the same time every morning, you're wasting your life. And that "proper" paragraphs are inefficient.
Sprint everywhere
Don't think that just because you're sprinting you can't be eating breakfast.
Oats. The epitome of efficiency.
 Also, the extra fiber will help shave your bowel movements to seconds
I fulfill my daily sleeping requirements by entering a deep REM state for a tenth of a second every time I blink. Alternatively, memorize your surroundings and sleep while sprinting everywhere.
Start all phone conversations with "Talk to me." End all real life conversations by sprinting away without time-wasting pleasantries like "bye," or the vapid waste of another precious syllable in "goodbye."
I try not to interact with other people, but when I do I keep to a minimum of three conversations at once: two spoken languages and sign language. I am tempted to recommend quadrupling up by learning sign language with your feet, but most conversations will be held right before or while you're sprinting so that's out.
Be constantly sprinting
Find it hard to concentrate on more than one thing at a time? Tired of being constantly distracted by things you hear or see on your left and right? Cut your corpus callosum and become two people, doubling your efficiency!
Sometimes it surprises me how traditional people are. Times are changing, this is the 21st century for God's sake. Get your cranial implants already! As soon as they were tested on mice, I got myself five and haven't wasted any more of my life without a wireless connection in my brain.
I can't even remember what it was like before my cranial implants. I'm serious, I can't remember. I think something went wrong during the operation in my garage. My first memory is waking up (I had apparently just blinked) in the middle of a six way conversation in four languages, sprinting to nowhere. I was halfway through downloading the internet into my brain and my need for gratuitous multitasking was insatiable. My life is a blur. Sometimes I wonder whether I'm the left half or right half of this brain that I share...
Don't waste your time with real conclusions to your posts.

http://heavy.com/tech/2017/08/james-damore-google-diversity-memo/

• Faid
Reply #9
I don't think that believing you're witty and funny, while you're nothing of the sort, is in any way unique.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #10
I don't think that believing you're witty and funny, while you're nothing of the sort, is in any way unique.

A derivation of DK syndrome.
Are we there yet?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #11
Worse, I suspect he thinks he's good with words.

Reply #12

Is he playing chess?
Playing chess is the new euphemism for tribalism, patriarchy, and being a moron?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #13

Is he playing chess?
"Playing chess" is the new euphemism for "being a dumbass".
Goddamnit

Reply #14
He's... unique:

In November 2013 he wrote a Facebook post titled the "Efficient Guide to Effciency," saying:
This guide is written under the premise that if you're not brushing your teeth, going to the bathroom, answering emails, and doing yoga all at the same time every morning, you're wasting your life. And that "proper" paragraphs are inefficient.
Sprint everywhere
Don't think that just because you're sprinting you can't be eating breakfast.
Oats. The epitome of efficiency.
 Also, the extra fiber will help shave your bowel movements to seconds
I fulfill my daily sleeping requirements by entering a deep REM state for a tenth of a second every time I blink. Alternatively, memorize your surroundings and sleep while sprinting everywhere.
Start all phone conversations with "Talk to me." End all real life conversations by sprinting away without time-wasting pleasantries like "bye," or the vapid waste of another precious syllable in "goodbye."
I try not to interact with other people, but when I do I keep to a minimum of three conversations at once: two spoken languages and sign language. I am tempted to recommend quadrupling up by learning sign language with your feet, but most conversations will be held right before or while you're sprinting so that's out.
Be constantly sprinting
Find it hard to concentrate on more than one thing at a time? Tired of being constantly distracted by things you hear or see on your left and right? Cut your corpus callosum and become two people, doubling your efficiency!
Sometimes it surprises me how traditional people are. Times are changing, this is the 21st century for God's sake. Get your cranial implants already! As soon as they were tested on mice, I got myself five and haven't wasted any more of my life without a wireless connection in my brain.
I can't even remember what it was like before my cranial implants. I'm serious, I can't remember. I think something went wrong during the operation in my garage. My first memory is waking up (I had apparently just blinked) in the middle of a six way conversation in four languages, sprinting to nowhere. I was halfway through downloading the internet into my brain and my need for gratuitous multitasking was insatiable. My life is a blur. Sometimes I wonder whether I'm the left half or right half of this brain that I share...
Don't waste your time with real conclusions to your posts.

http://heavy.com/tech/2017/08/james-damore-google-diversity-memo/
Sounds like his work was too stressful an environment for him.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #15
Hawkins will deffo want to join the Google boycott!

"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #16
Hawkins will deffo want to join the Google boycott!

Heh. Only Jews use Google now. Who knew? :shrug:
  • Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:04:18 PM by madmardigan

• Faid
Reply #17
After Trump TV, maybe a Trump search engine?

ETA: I wonder if Yuge.com is taken...
  • Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:21:13 PM by Faid
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.