Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Refugees from Internet Infidels, but still unaware they are free.

Topic: Electric bike anyone? (Read 215 times) previous topic - next topic

Electric bike anyone?

Folks,

Does anyone have some experience with electric bikes? I had a long ride on one today, resulting in mixed feelings about the product. The advantages and disadvantages seemed to cancel out somehow, but maybe that is just me.

Knowledgeable opinions?

D.

Re: Electric bike anyone?
Reply #1
I assume you mean motorcycles like the Zero? I ride non-electric bikes, and I have several friends that own them. One guy I know in AZ, that's his only transportation, and he commutes every day with it. He has done cross country trips, but that requires a bit of planning.

I think they are exceptionally practical as a commuter. Anything more than that, not so much, but I'm not as dedicated to it as some people. In AZ, there are reserved parking places all over the city for electric vehicles, and new parking lots have a requirement to have some number of charging stations installed (at least in Tucson), so it makes more sense there.

My friend and I have switched bikes a couple times, and I like the way it rides. If my commute weren't 35 miles each way, I would have seriously looked into getting one.

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #2
I had a long ride on one today, resulting in mixed feelings about the product. The advantages and disadvantages seemed to cancel out somehow, but maybe that is just me.

What make/model/year did you test ride?

The Zero (which Worldtaveller has mentioned) has improved immensely over the past years.
Decent & entertaining review fron gizmag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YIEVdFt0OE

2017 model is very expensive (ie overpriced), but as Worldtraveller mentioned, good/practical commuter transport in the right weather conditions.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Reply #3
The one I rode is only a 2015, I think. I want to say it was a second or 3rd gen version.

Reply #4
Folks,

Oops, I was talking about an electric pushbike, but I am a biker and own a Yamaha R1 and a Yamaha Thunderace.

This was the subject of the OP:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-vulcan-electric-mountain-bike

D.  :o

Reply #5
I've seen a few electric bicycles, but they're usually trikes.

I love my CBR(600), but if I was going to get a litre bike, it would be an R1.

Reply #6
I've seen a few electric bicycles, but they're usually trikes.

I love my CBR(600), but if I was going to get a litre bike, it would be an R1.

WT,

The cbr 600 is a good bike.

Agreed about the R1. I was lucky enough to own a Kwak zx10r and my R1 at the same time. The Kwak was faster on paper, but in the real world there was nothing in it, and the R1 is a precision instrument, beautiful handling. The Kwak was a bit of a bruiser IMHO.

D.

Reply #7
That electric mountain bike is an interesting idea. It looks like it's intended for actual trail riding, and I assume one would really only use the motor for assist on hills?

I know some people with electric bicycles they use for commuting, but these guys are all pretty hardcore, with some serious money in their recumbents, and even a couple full on velo-mobiles. I had been looking into acquring a velo when I lived in the PNW for winter commuting, but once I moved back to AZ, that seemed extraneous. :) 

Should I start a derail on motorcycles? :) I could talk about those all day too. (I have 3 at the moment.)

• Pingu
Reply #8
I have a Kalkhoff Agattu which is brilliant.

It basically flattens hills and cancels headwinds :)

I commute on it daily to work.  The only thing I'd say is that the battery has lost storage capacity over the three years I've had it, so I would no longer embark on, say, a more than 16 mile journey without an opportunity to recharge.

But it is absolutely fantastic. At first I thought it would make me lazy, but actually it's been the opposite - I'm never put off taking it anywhere because I am not daunted by any hills, or by the though of arriving too sweaty or out of breath.  So I get more, exercise, not less.

Also, it cut my journey time to work by about 10 minutes because I can chug along at a steady 17.5 mph.

I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #9
You can always peddle right?  16 miles is just enough to work up a good sweat..... ;)

• Pingu
Reply #10
You can always peddle right?  16 miles is just enough to work up a good sweat..... ;)

You HAVE to pedal. It doesn't go by itself.  It simply multiplies the torque you apply via the pedals.

It's sometimes called "pedal assist". 

If you don't apply any torque you don't get any assist.

I think the ratios on mine are 1.2, 1.5 and 1.7 x the torque you apply.  I find that 1.2 roughly breaks even given the extra weight. 

I use 1.7 on steep hills and when I'm in a hurry.  But I still have to pedal.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #11
Folks,

It is all about pedalling. I took my little alloy MB out today and surely I could have left that electric bike far behind. The same amount of pedalling energy was just faster and easier than the electric. Maybe a more powerful motor and no speed restriction would have loosened the leash but I will never know, due to UK law.

D.

Reply #12
That electric mountain bike is an interesting idea. It looks like it's intended for actual trail riding, and I assume one would really only use the motor for assist on hills?

I know some people with electric bicycles they use for commuting, but these guys are all pretty hardcore, with some serious money in their recumbents, and even a couple full on velo-mobiles. I had been looking into acquring a velo when I lived in the PNW for winter commuting, but once I moved back to AZ, that seemed extraneous. :) 

Should I start a derail on motorcycles? :) I could talk about those all day too. (I have 3 at the moment.)

Please do! I want to know all about your bikes and experiences on the same. Anyone else up for a biker's thread?

D.

Reply #13

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #14
Somewhere, TR has an exceptionally long thread about electric bikes going faster than the wind downhill. Lots of heated disagreements on that thread.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #15
I forget the source and location.

"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

Reply #16

Reply #17
I'm in..... :D

I wonder how the local constabulary would react if I was cruising down the street with one of those?

The problem is that those little RC turbines are notoriously hard to get started, and I'd rather just have it 'on demand'.....
  • Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:09:38 PM by Worldtraveller

• MikeS
Reply #18
The Red Bull fuel can is a nice touch.

Reply #19
I have a IZIP Via Urbano electric bike, which folds and fit in the back of my Yaris.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #20
I have the Specialized Turbo. It's pretty awesome.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins