Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: To me it is above all an honest site: honest fun, honest kindness (a lot of it, once you start looking), honest anger, honest stupidity, honest lunacy, honest hostility, honest viciousness. Honest brawls and meltdowns. Altogether a remarkably interesting - if sometimes downright disturbing - bunch of people speaking their minds.

Topic: We made a sandpit :D (Read 81 times) previous topic - next topic

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
We made a sandpit :D
My supervisor, I and a couple of others built an augmented reality sandbox.
https://arsandbox.ucdavis.edu/about/

Was a rush to get it ready but it all worked nicely on open day.  Maybe in a few years I'll have some free time to delve into the coding of it and implementing a few of the ideas that would be nice to have - eg: isotopic composition of the water represented by colour.
  • Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:45:00 AM by Martin.au
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Re: We made a sandpit :D
Reply #1
My supervisor, I and a couple of others built an augmented reality sandbox.
https://arsandbox.ucdavis.edu/about/

Was a rush to get it ready but it all worked nicely on open day.  Maybe in a few years I'll have some free time to delve into the coding of it and implementing a few of the ideas that would be nice to have - eg: isotopic composition of the water represented by colour.
Saw one of these last fall at OMSI in Portland. Really cool. The grand kids loved it.
Are we there yet?

• Martin.au
  • Thingyologist
Re: We made a sandpit :D
Reply #2
They're quite easy to make if you decide to build one. I did a different design and ended up with a BOM of around $400, not including the projector or computer or sand. That was for a ply and pine table, designed to be broken down into portable components. You could build it cheaper than that, but my design criteria were:

Design criteria included:
• Must be able to be broken down easily for transport.
• Minimum dimension must be less than normal door frame (~800mm).
• No super heavy parts - 1 person portable.
• Maximum length of projector support poles of ~1.3m (to fit in vehicles).
• Projector height above table - ~1.5m.
• No scissor points, or other hazards (eg: Telescoping poles, rather than hinged poles for projector).
• All parts available at Bunnings. :D (Big Australian hardware chain)
• No sharp edges inside table (countersunk screws, no metal brackets), or anywhere else students are likely to stick their fingers.
• Must be robust enough to handle 100kg of sand, and people jostling around it.

The design I've come up with is a simple box sitting on a robust frame, with a braced projector support made from 50x50 steel with a 30x30mm telescoping section.
• Sandbox dimensions are 1200x900x200mm.
• The sandbox is self contained and simply sits on the frame. It is held in place with lugs at each corner.
• The sandbox can simply be lifted off for cleaning once the sand is removed.
• The frame has a maximum height of 688mm, so it can easily go through any normal door.
• The sandbox corners are made of plastic brackets, with encapsulated bolts. Sandbox walls are bolted to each corner with 1/4 countersunk bolts. These plastic brackets provide a nice clean surface in the sandbox, with no sharp edges.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)