Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Give us your bored, your trolls, your huddled aspies yearning to go crazy. TR guarantees they will.

Topic: No such domain (Read 259 times) previous topic - next topic

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: No such domain
Reply #25
Lol, RAFH, it's not my perception, it's the perception of some Australians who've never been here and/or are joking.

As for Aussie dangers, nostrum and her partner and kids have managed to avoid all the venomous/poisonous things so far, despite spending most of their lives in Australia. But a while ago, her partner ended up in hospital for weeks, with multiple serious injuries, the results of a bicycle/kangaroo collision. No toxic/poisonous critters involved. 

Also, dunno if you knew this, but coyotes in my province have a penchant for killing folk singers and biting the heads of sleeping campers. I'm a folk singer, like camping, and hear coyotes vocalising across the (very small) lake most evenings through fall, winter and spring.  :ohmy:

• MSG
Reply #26
Drop bears are cuddly. Sharks aren't poisonous.  You guys are such drama queens...
braying among the ruins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #27
"cuddly"

• MSG
Reply #28
He's just had a shower; once he's dried off he'll be pretty as a picture
braying among the ruins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #29
Oh sure, they get all fluffy and shit, but -

• MSG
Reply #30
Turn it up.  He's gotta eat...
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #31
Drop bears are cuddly. Sharks aren't poisonous.  You guys are such drama queens...
Yeah but cassowarys are buggers of things.
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #32
If your home was getting constantly knocked down and your kids run over by cars, you'd be cranky too
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #33
Fair point.

Taipans are cool. Dunno why people freak out about taipans.
Truth is out of style

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #34
yeah, I'm with the cassowaries under the circumstances. Not with them, you understand, but cheering them on from a good distance.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #35
If your home was getting constantly knocked down and your kids run over by cars, you'd be cranky too
Although I did used to know a girl who would tell her kids to go play on the freeway when they were being annoying.
Truth is out of style

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #36
Fair point.

Taipans are cool. Dunno why people freak out about taipans.
Yeah I looked them up. Then I looked up this kid:

Early life[edit]

After leaving school, Budden worked as a retail assistant in Randwick, New South Wales.[4] At this time he joined the Australian Reptile Club and began hunting snakes as a hobby. He built his own snake pit and spent weekends in the bush collecting snakes.[5] In 1948 he caught some 59 snakes and was bitten five times.[4]

Taipan capture and death[edit]

In March 1950, Budden traveled to Queensland with two colleagues in an attempt to find and capture a taipan for the purpose of antivenom research.[3] The group had previously visited Cape York and the Northern Territory on a similar quest.[6][7] On July 27 Budden found a six-foot taipan near Cairns. While attempting to bag the snake, he was bitten on his left thumb. Budden was able to place the captured snake in a bag, and was taken for medical treatment. Although doctors were initially hopeful he would recover, he died the following afternoon.[3][8][9]
The captured snake was sent alive to the Commonwealth Research Laboratories in Melbourne,[8][9] where its venom was successfully milked by zoologist David Fleay,[11] who was at that time the director of Healesville Sanctuary.[9] Venom from the captured taipan was instrumental in researching and developing an antivenom, which became available in 1955.[12]

In a 2014 article published in the Journal of Proteomics, University of Queensland venomologist Bryan Fry reported finding specimens of the venom harvested from the taipan that killed Budden. His study found that the venom had retained its toxicity after almost sixty years in dry storage.[3][13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Budden

the venom had retained its toxicity after almost sixty years in dry storage

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #37
OK, so what? A lot of compounds will stay stable for that length of time.

And he got bitten because he was giving the snake a hard time. If you don't give them a hard time, taipans are pretty laid back.
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #38
braying among the ruins

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #39
Obviously, MSG has never been killed by the Aussie wildlife.
Until he or she has, I suggest we ignore his or her comments.
Those of Osmanthus as well.
Obvious shills for the Aussie tourism and real estate industries.

I mean, why would the Brits, normally pretty rational folks, send all their criminals there if it is was so wonderful?
Are we there yet?

• MSG
Reply #40
Obviously, MSG has never been killed by the Aussie wildlife.
Until he or she has, I suggest we ignore his or her comments.
Those of Osmanthus as well.
Obvious shills for the Aussie tourism and real estate industries.

I mean, why would the Brits, normally pretty rational folks, send all their criminals there if it is was so wonderful?
the flaw in your argument is pretty easy to spot, but then you're American so
braying among the ruins