Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Are you saying my giraffes will die?

Topic: RH Brown Sloth Poop Claims (Read 751 times) previous topic - next topic

RH Brown Sloth Poop Claims
Following is a revised list, based on feedback received from JonF ...

1) The poop in Rampart Cave Unit A is almost entirely Shasta ground sloth poop with very little of any other kind of feces.  That animal is now extinct.
2) Two ways to study the pooping habits of an extinct sloth would be (a) study the poop itself and (b) study the pooping habits of the closest living relative
2b) Wikipedia describes the (modern) "Sloth" ... link here ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloth
3) If we read the Wiki Sloth article, we find some curious things ... (a) modern sloths only poop about once a week (b) when they poop, they do so in the same spot over and over again (c) they poop out about 1/3 of their body weight each week
4) From the data given in the Long paper, the info in (3) above and applying a scale factor to scale up from "modern sloth" to the size of a Shasta sloth, we could calculate what would be required for one "Shasta sloth sized modern sloth" to deposit Unit A
5) This has been done by myself with the help of osmanthus and the result is that Unit A represents roughly "15 sloth years" of weekly, year round pooping of one adult Shasta sloth ... or "60 sloth years" of weekly, seasonal pooping (3 months of Spring only)
6) Unit A was supposedly deposited over a 2000 year time frame (not 1500, Faid) determined by carbon 14 (p.1844 first sentence of last paragraph in LH column)
7) Carbon 14 dating ignores theories of catastrophic global resurfacing events within the past 10,000 years.
8.) There is a difference in flora found in the upper part of Unit A compared to the lower part with more succulents being in the lower part

I eliminated Point 9 as it was redundant and I modified the others to be more FACTUAL.

Are we in agreement on these points?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Re: RH Brown Sloth Poop Claims
Reply #1

1) The poop in Rampart Cave Unit A is almost entirely Shasta ground sloth poop with very little of any other kind of feces.  That animal is now extinct.
2) Two ways to study the pooping habits of an extinct sloth would be (a) study the poop itself and (b) study the pooping habits of the closest living relative
2b) Wikipedia describes the (modern) "Sloth" ... link here ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloth
3) If we read the Wiki Sloth article, we find some curious things ... (a) modern sloths only poop about once a week (b) when they poop, they do so in the same spot over and over again (c) they poop out about 1/3 of their body weight each week
4) From the data given in the Long paper, the info in (3) above and applying a scale factor to scale up from "modern sloth" to the size of a Shasta sloth, we could calculate what would be required for one "Shasta sloth sized modern sloth" to deposit Unit A
5) This has been done by myself with the help of osmanthus and the result is that Unit A represents roughly "15 sloth years" of weekly, year round pooping of one adult Shasta sloth ... or "60 sloth years" of weekly, seasonal pooping (3 months of Spring only)
6) Unit A was supposedly deposited over a 2000 year time frame (not 1500, Faid) determined by carbon 14 (p.1844 first sentence of last paragraph in LH column)
7) Carbon 14 dating ignores theories of catastrophic global resurfacing events within the past 10,000 years.
8.) There is a difference in flora found in the upper part of Unit A compared to the lower part with more succulents being in the lower part

I eliminated Point 9 as it was redundant and I modified the others to be more FACTUAL.

no
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #2
Starting a new thread won't make the radiocarbon data go away, Dave.

It'll still be there.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #3
:facepalm:

Read the fucking responses, Dave.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #4
I don't believe a single one of those "facts" is, in fact, an "RHBrown claim", as the thread title seems to imply.

So far as I am aware, the only thing R.H. Brown contributed to this whole Chewbacca Defense was the incompetent &/or dishonest misrepresentation of the paper by Long & Martin.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• JonF
Reply #5

NO.

"2) Two ways to study the pooping habits of an extinct sloth would be (a) study the poop itself and (b) study the pooping habits some extant animal that we can establish as analogous".

(Which would be one hell of a trick).

2b and 7 are true but irrelavent.

You left out quite a few relevant facts, such as the dark band contained in unit A.

So, is this your formal abandonment of any attempt to discuss Brown's model, Steve's model, or the real tests of Brown's model?
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #6

no

• Faid
Reply #7

It also has an intermediate layer that might represent a break in habitation. You ARE taking ALL evidence into account, right?
Wrong. There is absolutely NOTHING the habits of a (NOT closest) living relative, who has a completely different lifestyle, can tell us about the habits of the Shasta sloth. Or ANY extinct species. Your assumptions are unwarranted, and you yourself would agree to that if you weren't so invested in DaveHasToBeRightism.
Which tells us nothing about their huge, ground-based relative. See above.
Actually we can, and we can do it more easily because THE AUTHORS GIVE US THE AVERAGE ANNUAL DEFECATION RATE. So all the above was an exercise in futility.
Your results are GARBAGE, as I have expalined. Te first estimate is demonstratably FALSE (pollen evidence), and the second takes as a given that sloths would use the cave no less than 3 months- Which is ALSO not evident in any way. Why not ONE month? Why not one WEEK? Why not one DAY?
Read the paper you fucking idiot:
Sloth dung above 61 cm was deposited from about 12,500 to 11,000 years ago.
Feel free to count. use your toes as well if you must.

You mean, ignores absurd just-so stories that are made up ad-hoc to dispute the method? No fucking kidding.
Indeed.

Try again, then. Because you falied spectacularly.

See above.
  • Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:09:12 AM by Faid
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #8
So, is this your formal abandonment of any attempt to discuss Brown's model, Steve's model, or the real tests of Brown's model?
When you say "Steve's" do you mean "MikeS's" ?

Oh...
And when you say "formal abandonment" do you mean...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:10:31 AM by VoxRat

• Faid
Reply #9
Dave has obviously STILL not read the paper. He's just looked at the chart provided[1]. That's why he sees the slth entry at ~13,000 ybp and thinks it's the end of Unit A.

Pathetic.

At least he's like his idol Trump, in that regard.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Pingu
Reply #10
I've sent him both.  There is some information provided in one but not in the other.

But he has both.

• Pingu
Reply #11
Dave has obviously STILL not read the paper. He's just looked at the chart provided[1]. That's why he sees the slth entry at ~13,000 ybp and thinks it's the end of Unit A.

Pathetic.

It's clear in my table.  Also in my charts.

At least he's like his idol Trump, in that regard.

Reply #12

NO.

"2) Two ways to study the pooping habits of an extinct sloth would be (a) study the poop itself and (b) study the pooping habits some extant animal that we can establish as analogous".

You left out quite a few relevant facts, such as the dark band contained in unit A.

You say "NO" we are not in agreement ... but then you say "2b and 7 are true but irrelevant."  If you think they are true, how can you not be in agreement?  Also you want me to list an item about the dark band ... ok ... Are you talking about the "Guano Layer" item in Figure 1 on the right side?  If so, fine I can add that.

No I'm not abandoning anything.  Just separating out this topic for better clarity.

Reply #13
Faid, which part of ...
Sloth dung of unit A was deposited between 13,000 and 11,000
yr ago at a rate of approximately 0.03 cu m (1 cu ft)/yr.
... are you having trouble with?

Last time I checked 13,000 minus 11,000 = 2000.  No?

And even if it's 1500 years instead of 2000 ... so what?  Why have a caniption [sp?] fit over it?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #14
No I'm not abandoning anything.  Just separating out this topic for better clarity.
::)  Right. 
Just like you haven't abandoned Kälksjön.
You have decades of goat-milk-fueled healthy life ahead of you to get around to it.
Meanwhile, no amount of "clarity" on the subject of sloth dung is going to get you one millimeter closer to any test of the validity radiocarbon chronometry.

The ONLY age estimate we have for the ground sloth dung is the radiocarbon age.

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO COMPARE THAT WITH.

• Pingu
Reply #15

NO.

You say "NO" we are not in agreement ... but then you say "2b and 7 are true but irrelevant."  If you think they are true, how can you not be in agreement?  Also you want me to list an item about the dark band ... ok ... Are you talking about the "Guano Layer" item in Figure 1 on the right side?  If so, fine I can add that.

Dave, if you really want to discuss the Long & Martin papers, please read BOTH papers.  You have them both - they are both about the same study, published in the same year, I think, but each has details not contained in the other.

The second one I sent you mentions a "blackened layer" in the middle of Unit A.  However, the authors, like good scientists, do not commit themselves to whether or not it represents a "depositional pause" because they did have radiocarbon dated samples that would confirm that.  Good scientists do not draw firm conclusions without corroborating evidence.

Most of us are NOT in agreement with your itemised list.  Some things we mostly agree are "facts", others are arguments, others are opinions, and others are bullshit.

Most are irrelevant to the issue of Brown's model, which CANNOT be tested with speculations about how often the sloths used the cave to poop in, because the DATA - the information provided in the two Long and Martin papers, do not allow us to reach any firm conclusion about that.  The data DO suggest that use was seasonal, and even that it may have been used specifically for birthing.  The data also suggest that substantial periods elapsed between usages.

Other than that, we don't know enough about extinct sloth behaviour to conclude anything, and certainly not to RULE OUT season and interrupted use by sloths.  Which means we can use the radiocarbon data to help us find out about when the sloths used the cave to poop in, but we cannot use the sloth poop to validate or invalidate the radiocarbon dates.

We CAN however, use the radiocarbon calibration data to validate or invalidate both the model that assumes constant atmospheric C14:C12 ratios and Brown's model.

And YOU can use the radiocarbon data from Long and Martin to work out when the sloths started and stopped pooping according to Brown's model.

But you won't.  Why not?

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #16
And even if it's 1500 years instead of 2000 ... so what?
And even if it's 4000 instead of 2000 ... so what?

You have:
no idea how many hours/days/weeks per year any sloths visited that cave ...
no idea how many years went by with no sloths visiting that cave ...
no idea how many  sloths visited at any one time ...
no idea how what fraction of their defecating they did in that cave when they did visit ...

and therefore

no idea how much time elapsed between deposition of sample A and deposition of sample B.

So it's useless as a test for Brown's model which you are completely ignoring, anyway, or for the standard science model for which there are several other, NOT USELESS, tests that you are also ignoring.

Reply #17
Here's another list of important facts:

1) Dave assumes his beliefs are true.
2) Dave refuses to test his beliefs against facts.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #18
Here's another list of important facts:

1) Dave assumes his beliefs are true.
2) Dave refuses to test his beliefs against facts.
You left out 3) Bluffy is a willfully, militantly, narcissistic DK posterboy.
Are we there yet?

• JonF
Reply #19
When you say "Steve's" do you mean "MikeS's" ?

Oh...
And when you say "formal abandonment" do you mean...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Whoopsie, Mike.  And yes.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #20
Faid, which part of ...
Sloth dung of unit A was deposited between 13,000 and 11,000
yr ago at a rate of approximately 0.03 cu m (1 cu ft)/yr.
... are you having trouble with?

Last time I checked 13,000 minus 11,000 = 2000.  No?

And even if it's 1500 years instead of 2000 ... so what?  Why have a caniption [sp?] fit over it?

Yes, those are the outer limits, Dave, to 2 sig figs.  Now look at the TABLE in the Geological Society paper and the clear STATEMENT in the other paper.

The oldest sample in that range, is "sloth dung", dated 13,140 +/- 320 years BP is described as being "top of B", at 67cm depth.  However,  "Base of A" is given as 61 cm later, with a "Trampled sloth dung" sample being dated at 12,440 +/- 300

So it's not really clear from that paper whether there is something between "Top of B" and "Base of A" but it looks like about 5 cm of something, and about 500 years (though given the confidence limits, it could be more or less).

In the paper in Science, the one I sent you second, the authors state: "sloth dung aboe 61 cm was depostied from about 12,500, to 11,000 years ago". 

As you say, it isn't very important, and it isn't even very clear from the papers, or, indeed, from the data.  The confidence limits in any case round the radiocarbon dates are quite large.

Which is why it is so bloody stupid to be focusing on one specific "unit".  The point, if you look at my plots (especially the left hand plot which shows the data from the table in graphic form) is that the poop was pooped discontinuously, apparently in quite narrow and discontinuous time periods.

And the only difference between the conventional age and the ages under Brown's model (which you refuse to calculate) is that under Brown's model, the pooping rate is a lot faster than under the conventional age.  Which is fine.  Both are perfectly plausible.

Although you might want to think about just how those sloths got to the cave so quickly post-Flood and pooped so much so fast under your model, but it's your model not ours, how you apply the magic is up to you.

But if you ACTUALLY want to test Brown's model, you need to look at material you can date in some OTHER way than radiocarbon dating.

Such as tree rings, varves, etc.  Those will test BOTH the constant ratio model and Brown's exponentially increasing ratio model.  As it happens both are wrong.

So let's find out just how wrong each is, right?

Reply #21
Pingu ...

"Most of us are NOT in agreement with your itemised list.  Some things we mostly agree are "facts", others are arguments, others are opinions, and others are bullshit."

If this is what you really believe, then do like JonF has done and list the items you disagree with and why.

It's vague stuff like this combined with the massive amount of squid ink before and after this paragraph that causes me to compare you to a plexus sales person.

Reply #22
"Both are perfectly plausible."

No they are not as any honest person would realize once they have access to the bare facts of the situation.

The problem, though, is providing those bare facts to honest people amidst a veritable tsunami of squid ink.

I am convinced more and more that  massive amounts of squid ink are the only way you maintain the illusion of truth.

It's quite obvious to me why you don't want to deal with my list of facts.

Reply #23

If this is what you really believe, then do like JonF has done and list the items you disagree with and why.
Dave, multiple people, including Pingu, have already done this in the other thread.

It's dumb shit like the fact that you don't read responses and then continue to ask for more that causes everyone to think you're an idiot at best and a liar at worst.

Reply #24
"Both are perfectly plausible."

No they are not as any honest person would realize once they have access to the bare facts of the situation.
You're right. Your scenario requires the only two sloths in existence to jetpack halfway across the world and shit like crazy. Doesn't sound particularly plausible.

The problem, though, is providing those bare facts to honest people amidst a veritable tsunami of squid ink.

I am convinced more and more that  massive amounts of squid ink are the only way you maintain the illusion of truth.
The fact that you characterize posts you don't even read as "squid ink" is the only way you maintain the illusion that your beliefs bear any resemblance to reality.

It's quite obvious to me why you don't want to deal with my list of facts.
It has been dealt with. Exhaustively. Read the responses you got in the other thread.