Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: We can't be bothered to ban you.

Topic: The Big Bang Theory is Unfalsifiable  (Read 745 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Big Bang Theory is Unfalsifiable
Reply #25
Bro D can rest easy knowing they do use a laugh track then.

Reply #26
:sadyes:

Big Bang Theory predicts that galaxies farther from Earth will be moving away from Earth faster than galaxies that are closer. Since this prediction could be shown to be wrong using observations we know how to make, Big Bang Theory is falsifiable.

But what do you think of Kaley Cuoco's ass?

What do you think about how the male characters on TBBT are all Harvey Weinstein but they get to laugh it off because geeks and nerds are amusing but harmless social misfits who don't know any better?

Reply #27
just because it is not provable (falsifiable) now does not mean is unprovable forever..
I don't think you should be conflating falsifiability with non-provability. Provability is for courts and alcohol, not science.
I also don't think the BBT is unfalsifiable. I imagine there are lots of things that if discovered would falsify BBT. The fact that they have not yet been discovered is of no import, what counts is if such things are reasonably consilient with what is known, ie - they are not inconsistent with what is known. Or if they are, then some explanation as to why they are and how that can be resolved.

My understanding is that as it currently stands, it is not inconsistent with what is known.
Hey dude, you just wrote exactly what I just wrote
Self-censorship is the lamest form of censorship.

Reply #28

Maybe equally disturbing is the fact that it actually doesn't have a laugh track. It's filmed in front of a live studio audience. Those are real people actually laughing because they think the show is funny.

The rumour is that there's a crew being who holds up a [laugh] cue card at the directed perceived hilarity points during these kind of productions.  I have no evidential or anecdotal support for this hypothesis but it's definitely falsifiable. 

Reply #29
maybe I should move the entire thread over to A&E, just to annoy boris

Big Bang Theory predicts that galaxies farther from Earth will be moving away from Earth faster than galaxies that are closer. Since this prediction could be shown to be wrong using observations we know how to make, Big Bang Theory is falsifiable.
Do you mean a specific big bang theory with a host of assumptions based on our outrageously limited knowledge of the universe?

Yeah,
thought so

Reply #30

But what do you think of Kaley Cuoco's ass?

What do you think about how the male characters on TBBT are all Harvey Weinstein but they get to laugh it off because geeks and nerds are amusing but harmless social misfits who don't know any better?

Like the episodes where they make the female students sleep with them for grades?

Reply #31
BSB there are other cosmologies you may subscribe to which are free of the abhorrent singularity.  No one will screech "denier!" in your face or threaten to incarcerate you should you wish to tread that path.

Reply #32
I don't understand your point.

Reply #33
Well the point is, if you consider the currently fashionable bbt to be unfalsifiable and therefore unsatisfactory from a philosophical standpoint then you can note it as such - as you have indeed done in your op - and move on to other cosmologies which you consider to be superior in terms of falsifiability.  That's all really.

Reply #34
How about I just stick with the word "theoretical".

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #35
Good idea.  Maybe you'll have better luck pretending to understand the word "theoretical" than you do with pretending to understand the word "falsifiable".

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #36
Boris is a mentally ill troll who is at his most interesting when he randomly speaks in riddles, hth

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #37
though he was a participant in my favorite internet exchange of all time...

boris:  that's not yellow, that's gold, you idiot
mason: gold is yellow, you idiot

Reply #38
Oh

Reply #39
Good idea.  Maybe you'll have better luck pretending to understand the word "theoretical" than you do with pretending to understand the word "falsifiable".
Ha, I'd like to see you prove the big bang theory with hard evidence: mathematical speculation is not evidence.

Reply #40
though he was a participant in my favorite internet exchange of all time...

boris:  that's not yellow, that's gold, you idiot
mason: gold is yellow, you idiot
gold is not yellow

Reply #41
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold#Color

It is a COMBINATION of red and yellow.

Jesus.

Reply #42
I've heard it said that Portuguese is a combination of Spanish and French.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #43
"gold is slightly reddish-yellow"
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #44

:yes:
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #45
No, it is gold. If it were yellow, it would not be reddish-yellow.

Reply #46
I've heard it said that Portuguese is a combination of Spanish and French.
Are you saying the French are yellow?

Reply #47
How I Met Your Mother had a laugh track and it's a good show, not counting the ending

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #48
No, it is gold. If it were yellow, it would not be reddish-yellow.
I quoted Wikipedia, which you linked to.

Gold is not yellow

― Mark Twain 🔭

• MikeS
Reply #49
Glitter is always Gold.