Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: if anyone on this site uses comic sans i will fucking murder them, is that perfectly clear, jb?

Topic: Neutron star collision detected (Read 251 times) previous topic - next topic

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'

• Pingu
Re: Neutron star collision detected
Reply #1
That is absolutely awesome.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #2
Yes it's a good one alright. I'm very chuffed about it. :]
The Guardian has a brief article on it too.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/16/astronomers-witness-neutron-stars-collide-global-rapid-response-event-ligo
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
Reply #3
I'm so happy I've lived to see[1] this. 
For some value of "see".

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #4
What I would now like Dave to explain is how this happened if the stars were 130 million light years away and we've just seen it. :stopper:
Truth is out of style

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #5
What I would now like Dave to explain is how this happened if the stars were 130 million light years away and we've just seen it. :stopper: 

Da Fludde, Da Fludde!!

It also affected light speed, which is why the half lives of radioactives was speeded up.
Plus they are wrong about it all, it's FAKE SCIENCE anyway.
Everyone knows our eyebeams see everything immediately. Just ask StuporSpurt.
Are we there yet?

• MikeB
Reply #6
Hahaa, I remember a guy in high school who thought "eyebeams" were a thing.  He asked the teacher, "Mr. Jehlik, when you look up at something, how fast does that go?".  Mr. Jehlik explained that the light was entering your eye the instant you look in that direction.

• nesb
Reply #7
Gold, you say? Wtb 2 nuetron stars.

• ffejrxx
Reply #8
bring them to earth and hold an auction

• Bilirubin
Reply #9
I would not

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #10
I would not
Spoilsport
Are we there yet?

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #11

I believe it's time we build the Nostromo.

Here's a page at Nature with a collection of the papers and whatnot so far.

The list of authors on the A gravitational-wave standard siren measurement of the Hubble constant is hilarious.

Kilonovae, short gamma-ray bursts & neutron star mergers

ETA:

Dark Energy Survey Collection: DES Gravitational Waves Papers

APS:   GW170817: Observation of Gravitational Waves from a Binary Neutron Star Inspiral

• Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:57:47 PM by Doobie Keebler
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #12
Hahaa, I remember a guy in high school who thought "eyebeams" were a thing.  He asked the teacher, "Mr. Jehlik, when you look up at something, how fast does that go?".  Mr. Jehlik explained that the light was entering your eye the instant you look in that direction.

I had quite a time getting a friend of mine to "visualize" the concept that he wasn't actually seeing me directly but his brain was detecting what bounced off of me and that was just the stuff my body and clothing didn't absorb, colors, etc.

TBF, we were pretty "lit" at the time but once I turned the lights in the garage off while taking another explanatory tack, the "lights went on" so to speak. It was a pretty cool moment actually. Went on to talk about color shifting in soap bubbles and other mediums, refraction, and stuff like redshift. I miss those days.
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• MikeS
Reply #13

I had quite a time getting a friend of mine to "visualize" the concept that he wasn't actually seeing me directly but his brain was detecting what bounced off of me and that was just the stuff my body and clothing didn't absorb, colors, etc.

TBF, we were pretty "lit" at the time but once I turned the lights in the garage off while taking another explanatory tack, the "lights went on" so to speak. It was a pretty cool moment actually. Went on to talk about color shifting in soap bubbles and other mediums, refraction, and stuff like redshift. I miss those days.
This is how they should teach physics classes.  Now that states are MJ legal ...

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #14
had a prof say that if you're stuck on a problem, have a beer "or whatever else you need" and try again.  he lowered his voice for the quoted part.

• Bilirubin
Reply #15
Yes it's a good one alright. I'm very chuffed about it. :]
The Guardian has a brief article on it too.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/16/astronomers-witness-neutron-stars-collide-global-rapid-response-event-ligo
You part of the team?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #16
No. Why would you think that? I just think it's a totally cool bit of science.
Truth is out of style

• Pingu
Reply #17
Yeah.  It makes me sort of proud to be part of the species that evolved to know that.

• Pingu
Reply #18
Also in awe of the entire navel-gazing universe.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #19
I think it's unwise that we're digging into things we weren't meant to know

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #20
 :parrot:
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Bilirubin
Reply #21
No. Why would you think that? I just think it's a totally cool bit of science.
Just sounded like it from how you phrased your comment. No biggie.