Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: This is why we can't have nice things

Topic: DNC Fundraising Shennanigans (Read 903 times) previous topic - next topic

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
DNC Fundraising Shennanigans
If this is true, then holy shit:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/02/clinton-brazile-hacks-2016-215774

Yet the states kept less than half of 1 percent of the $82 million they had amassed from the extravagant fund-raisers Hillary's campaign was holding, just as Gary had described to me when he and I talked in August. When the Politico story described this arrangement as "essentially ... money laundering" for the Clinton campaign, Hillary's people were outraged at being accused of doing something shady. Bernie's people were angry for their own reasons, saying this was part of a calculated strategy to throw the nomination to Hillary.

I wanted to believe Hillary, who made campaign finance reform part of her platform, but I had made this pledge to Bernie and did not want to disappoint him. I kept asking the party lawyers and the DNC staff to show me the agreements that the party had made for sharing the money they raised, but there was a lot of shuffling of feet and looking the other way.

When I got back from a vacation in Martha's Vineyard, I at last found the document that described it all: the Joint Fund-Raising Agreement between the DNC, the Hillary Victory Fund, and Hillary for America.

The agreement--signed by Amy Dacey, the former CEO of the DNC, and Robby Mook with a copy to Marc Elias--specified that in exchange for raising money and investing in the DNC, Hillary would control the party's finances, strategy, and all the money raised. Her campaign had the right of refusal of who would be the party communications director, and it would make final decisions on all the other staff. The DNC also was required to consult with the campaign about all other staffing, budgeting, data, analytics, and mailings.

I had been wondering why it was that I couldn't write a press release without passing it by Brooklyn. Well, here was the answer.

Will this turn off more potential Dems? 2018 is a big year, are they going to see wholesale desertions over this shit?

Re: DNC Fundraising Shennanigans
Reply #1
Well, they certainly won't vote for Hillary anyway.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #2
I wonder if she knew this bombshell was coming, and that's why she went on the Daily Show before it broke? 

Although the big takeaway from several of these stories is the the DNC is just a clusterfuck of ineffectiveness.

• ksen
Reply #3
I think I posted about this in the election thread last year. This story has been out there for awhile. The only new part is Brazile throwing Hillary, her campaign and DWS under the bus about it.

Is this Brazile's way of making it clear that the funding of Fusion GPS was all on Hillary since her campaign had complete control over DNC cash?

Is it related to the 4 still sealed indictments?

Either way I have a lot more respect for Brazile for writing this article.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #4
not surprised in the least.  it has been clear since before she had the nomination that hillary had used her position and powerful friends to give herself unfair advantages in the primaries.  now we just have it documented in black and white.  the bernie bros were never wrong about this and have had every right to be pissed off about it and sue the dnc.

I share ksen's surprise that Donna Brazile turned on clinton and dws.  I had always taken her for a blind clinton loyalist.

as to whether this will flip some large number of democrats to mitigate the damage for the gop in 2018, I doubt it.  that sounds like wishful thinking from conservative entertainment.  the left sees trump as the next hitler and hillary as merely corrupt.  so even if hillary were still relevant to our politics (and her relevance is greatly diminished and fading fast), they would not be confused about who the greater evil is.  even the hardcore bernie-or-bust types are now focused on Resisting trump.

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #5
that sounds like wishful thinking from conservative entertainment.

There's a lot of wishful thinking from progressive circles that the DNC will finally collapse. I don't think it is just a conservative fantasy.

• el jefe
Reply #6
the dnc was already purged to satisfy the sanders people.  it may not have succeeded in satisfying them, but if you think their issues with the dnc will distract them from their fight trump, you are badly misreading them.

again, they see hillary and the dnc as corrupt.  they see donald trump as the next hitler

Reply #7
Didn't Perez just have another purge of Bernie-friendly people?

The DNC is shit and people think it's a lot more important and influential than it really is. Still shouldn't be pulling this bullshit though.

• tysixtus
  • TITS GUNS
Reply #8
the dnc was already purged to satisfy the sanders people.  it may not have succeeded in satisfying them, but if you think their issues with the dnc will distract them from their fight trump, you are badly misreading them.

I didn't say that. I don't think this is a "distraction" so much as sowing the seeds for outright rebellion at some point, ala a progressive Tea Party. It depends on how 2018 pans out, I think.

Eventually, they have to get tired of being shit on.

• ksen
Reply #9
There's a progressive challenger to Dianne Fienstein so it looks to me like the progressives in the party have already had enough and are starting to field primary challengers to who they see as the neoliberals in the party.

• el jefe
Reply #10
they don't feel shit on by the dnc as much as they feel shit on by trump.  if you think their focus will be something other than trump, you've got it wrong.

• ksen
Reply #11
Sure, by 2020 I think Bernard's supporters will be all about getting Trump out of office. But for 2018 it looks like they might be trying to sweep out some of the people they see as being obstacles to a truly liberal agenda.

Reply #12
There is still a lot of bad blood between hardcore hilldawgs and Bernard Brothers that I don't think will just be swept away because Trump in 2018.

Reply #13
I agree, in the few leftwing echo chambers I participate in on social media, the Clintonistas and Bernie Bros still resent each other very much.

• el jefe
Reply #14
then they're all dumb and need to get over it
  • Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:04:23 AM by el jefe

• nesb
Reply #15
Oh hey. Ty stumping for Republicans.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #16
progressive Tea Party

This is the dumbest thing that could happen.

I know it looks like it was a great idea for the GOP because they've won elections, but the cost at which they've won should be unacceptable. The GOP as we knew it 15-20 years ago is dead, and the Tea Party helped kill it. It is complete and utter garbage, hollowed out by lunatic ideologues, and no one who legitimately supports left-leaning policies should be hoping the same thing happens to the Democrats.

• el jefe
Reply #17
so, other than feinstein, are there any incumbent democrats with significant primary challengers?  she's the only one I'm finding.

there are still a few months before the filing deadlines:
https://ballotpedia.org/State_and_federal_candidate_filing_deadlines_for_2018

...but it is getting late for this progressive tea party rebellion to show up.  to have a realistic shot, people need to have their campaigns up and running before about new year's.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #18
Probably because most of the people who would be progressive Tea Party rebels don't do anything other than complain on the internet.

The ones who do actually vote and participate are probably with DSA or other groups instead.

Also, for all her flaws, DiFi gets shit done, and Dems shouldn't make the same mistake Republicans have made in assuming that experience in actually legislating is irrelevant and you just need conviction and believing really really really hard in something to get things done.

• el jefe
Reply #19
yeah, I think there must be an awareness that the tea party's purity politics was an example of what not to do.  for 5 years or so, they made a lot of dramatic noise, helped the party in some races but hurt them in others, and almost totally failed to achieve their policy goals.  I've heard anecdotally that progressives really do get that and intend to learn from the tea party's mistakes.  I hope to god that is true; there is something seriously wrong with them if they don't.

Reply #20
they don't feel shit on by the dnc as much as they feel shit on by trump.  if you think their focus will be something other than trump, you've got it wrong.
When you're this sure, I get very nervous.

Guys, help me out here....

Reply #21
I think I posted about this in the election thread last year. This story has been out there for awhile. The only new part is Brazile throwing Hillary, her campaign and DWS under the bus about it.

Is this Brazile's way of making it clear that the funding of Fusion GPS was all on Hillary since her campaign had complete control over DNC cash?

Is it related to the 4 still sealed indictments?

Either way I have a lot more respect for Brazile for writing this article.

This is not an article.  It is an excerpt from her new book.

Reply #22

Pills are less violent, but a handgun is more likely to get the job done. Just make sure you have the barrel aligned with your brainstem or else you'll spend the rest of your life pissing through a catheter.

Reply #23

Pills are less violent, but a handgun is more likely to get the job done. Just make sure you have the barrel aligned with your brainstem or else you'll spend the rest of your life pissing through a catheter.
Thanks buddy!

• ksen
Reply #24
This is not an article.  It is an excerpt from her new book.

Sounds like this book will be better than Hillary's What Happened book.

Hillary asked the question and Donna Brazile answered it.