Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: We accept Gelato guy's apology

Topic: DNC Fundraising Shennanigans (Read 900 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: DNC Fundraising Shennanigans
Reply #100
Meh, makes sense to me, especially after the WaPo edit that she would "initiate the process of removing Clinton", rather than unilaterally removing her. Similar to the Vice President not having power over executive agencies, but being a large part of the decision to remove power from the President in case of emergencies (25th amendment).

She still had decided herself who the replacements should be (Bernie was second in the primaries - shouldn't it be him?), and it's still pretty lol are you fucking kidding to suggest removing a candidate because the campaign is "anemic," using a bout of pneumonia as an excuse. Plus, Tim Kaine didn't have pneumonia and wasn't incapacitated, so even if Hillary had legitimately been too sick and had to step aside, what would've been the justification for removing Kaine, too?

It just strikes me as completely fucking absurd to make a lot of noise about the DNC rigging the primaries while also seriously telling everyone that you considered having the DNC replace the nominee and the VP ticket with people they personally handpicked because reasons. That it'd be a committee instead of only Brazile herself doesn't really make it that much better. I mean, if the DNC's actions were a grave injustice to Bernie, then what the fuck would that have been? Like, honestly, I can't wrap my mind around complaining that the DNC handpicked its nominee and simultaneously arguing that the DNC should've...handpicked another nominee.
Yeah, true; I was over focusing on the removal, not the appointment. I was thinking the same thing re Kaine - actually, he seems like the appropriate replacement if anyone. That's kinda the role he was nominated for - replacing Clinton if anything went wrong - in the first place, right?

I'm guessing the formal procedure wouldn't look like "We chose, that's it"; there would probably be a formal process similar to the original nomination (reconvene the delegates and superdelegates?). The picking from above would be because the party voters would almost certainly listen to the committee. I'd look into the formal process, but honestly? Fuck it, the formal process barely matters if she really thought she could do so.

ETA: I still want to see the phrasing in the book; there's the barest chance she said something like "I settled on Biden and Booker as my choice to replace Clinton", meaning who she would vote for and advise others to vote for, and that got blown out of proportion.
  • Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:15:13 PM by uncool

Reply #101

• ksen
Reply #102
omg, it's Saturday night stop lawyering for a few minutes.

Reply #103
dunno if this is relevant to anything, posting anyway

Reply #104
Uncool mentioned that change.

(In reply 95)
  • Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:32:37 AM by Pavlovs Dog

Reply #105

Reply #106
Ksen, come back.

Reply #107

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #108
obviously the clinton henchmen showed up at her door and told her how sad it would be if they read in the papers that she had committed suicide

Reply #109
tbh people have committed suicide out of shame, so...

Reply #110
Does she have any of that though?

Reply #111
The dem shitshow would be serious news if we didn't have an insane fascist regime in the top leadership at the moment.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #112
No one would give a shit about any of this if trump hadn't won.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #113
lol okay this is getting too bizarre even for these interesting times

Reply #114
She is so dumb and bad at this and her job at the DNC

Reply #115
I'd look into the formal process, but honestly? Fuck it

Step forward and collect your money, everyone who bet on me looking into it.

Luckily for me, there are people even more autistic than me, who have answered the question better than I would have.

https://ballotpedia.org/State_laws_and_party_rules_on_replacing_a_presidential_nominee

Special meeting of the DNC called by Chairperson, majority vote. No apparent special power to replace. This depends on Brazil's being able to call Clinton's illness a "disability" (I think meaning an inability to fulfill the role of President), and get that pushed through the majority.

This is about as good a procedure as I could expect (the DNC voting procedures themselves notwithstanding).
  • Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:01:17 AM by uncool

• MikeS
Reply #116
ok what about THIS, smart guy??

watched a portion this morning.  had to turn it off since she was a ranting wild women who couldn't keep on topic or even a common theme.  George S. could only get in a guiding comment or question every two or three minutes.

How did this women get in charge anywhere?

Reply #117
given who's in the oval office now, may as well ask why she hasn't risen further.

Reply #118

Reply #119