Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: For Posting Experts.

Topic: The All-American Shooting Thread (Read 867 times) previous topic - next topic

• Monad
Re: The All-American Shooting Thread
Reply #25
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41884014

Meanwhile, President Donald Trump, on a tour of Asia, said guns were not to blame for the shooting.
"We have a lot of mental health problems in our country, but this isn't a guns situation," he said.

Yes because allowing people with 'mental health problems' access to any sort of gun, not least the sort that fires dozens of rounds per minute isn't a problem. Twat!

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #26
ok, don't know what I saw
You saw the black people and assumed it could only be AME, which makes you...
no, I saw AME and assumed black people!

I googled "shooting church" and saw several tweets / headlines mentioning "AME".  don't know what that was about.  false internet rumor, I guess.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #27
If we brought back duels with longswords, that would be so much better!
I dunno, I'm thinking jello and licorice sticks would be better than that.
Are we there yet?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #28
And he's an athiest.
From a news article above ...
Nina Rose Nava, who went to school with Kelley, said: "He was always talking about how people who believe in God were stupid and trying to preach his atheism.'

Preachin' that atheism.  Praise ... ummm ... me.

He was also a Sunday School Bible Studies teacher for a time. I'd say he was a bit conflicted.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #29
ok, don't know what I saw
You saw the black people and assumed it could only be AME, which makes you...
no, I saw AME and assumed black people!

I googled "shooting church" and saw several tweets / headlines mentioning "AME".  don't know what that was about.  false internet rumor, I guess.

That would be the 'shooting church' results from the Dylan Roof church massacre, I think.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #30
yeah but it was coming up under "4 minutes ago" and "12 seconds ago"

maybe it was people discussing Dylan roof because this reminded them of him

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #31
It seems to have been an ethnically mixed congregation, black people, white people, Hispanic people. At least according to the various victims' name and photos that are beginning to proliferate online.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #32
Buzzfeed has been compiling a list of misinformation and hoaxes that have been spread about this incident:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/talalansari/fake-news-about-the-texas-church-shooting?utm_term=.ctpd8xEm6#.msMDXMLxQ

Reply #33
Shooting was an ongoing "Domestic situtation."
SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Tex. -- Investigators said Sunday's church massacre in Texas occurred amid an ongoing "domestic situation" involving the gunman and his relatives, at least one of whom had attended the church.

While authorities have not publicly identified a motive for the attack, they emphasized Monday that the shooting did not appear to be fueled by racial or religious issues. They said the gunman's mother-in-law had attended the church but was not there Sunday, and that the shooter had sent "threatening texts" as part of the family dispute.

"This was not racially motivated, it wasn't over religious beliefs," Freeman Martin of the Texas Department of Public Safety said at a news briefing. "There was a domestic situation going on within the family and the in-laws."

He was also randomly friending people on Facebook who live in that area and harassing them.  I guess when you are a nutbag you have to harass the entire community where your in-laws live. 

Fucking shitstain...

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #34
thank god it was a domestic dispute and not something terrible that may have harmed other people

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #35
There's definitely something horrifying about the way a lot of people are reacting as if it is a less threatening event because it was rage over a domestic quarrel instead of over politics or religion.

The constant background drumbeat of 'virtually all mass shooters have a history of domestic violence' as a common trait gets buried under arguments about guns and gun control, which devolve swiftly into fetishistic minutiae about gun terminology, gun types, gun components and anyone with any sense backs away. When it comes down to if you beat your wife and kids, you're a violent bastard who needs jail and extreme psychiatric help. Maybe some Haldol too. Before you too find yourself killing a lot of people because you're a sick violent misogynist with anger issues.

Reply #36
not to mention that these domestic disputes are taking place because these men have toxic approaches to masculinity and problem resolution. If anything, the fact these are as rare as they are is the shocking thing.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #37
Oh looky, he beat his dog too, like that's not correlated with anything:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gucci+mens+rings&FORM=HDRSC2

• MikeS
Reply #38
You have to remember, this is Texas and anything goes.  Libertarian heartland.

The guy didn't have a license to carry weapons.  I tuned to Fox News for a second and sure enough one of their morbid guests was gunsplainin' that the permit was required for HAND guns and not for the AR15 assault rifle he had used.  Which means?  What exactly?

Then this gunsplination ends in the tragic "What we really need is MORE guns."  Yes, that's what's needed here.

The "hero's" with the weapons who fired on this idiot AFTER the deed was done and he was exiting the premesis could well have fired on anyone who exited that church at that moment.  The "hero's" in question did what many people admit, they did what they did by instinct more than thought; what they saw as the "right thing to do".

Reply #39
Thanks for bringing that up, borealis.

There's a great organization that I follow, National Link Coalition. They've found there is a strong link between animal abuse and domestic abuse and work to stop the abuses. Their website is http://nationallinkcoalition.org/

I am unsure if they delve into other violence issues though.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #40
Oh looky, he beat his dog too,

oh shit people might actually care again for another 12 hours

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #41
Oh looky, he beat his dog too,

oh shit people might actually care again for another 12 hours

tbh, the whole terrible event reads like a derivative low effort made for tv movie script. All that's missing is his horrible childhood. There's a mist of unreality about it, it's almost understandable that some people lose their minds over the sheer numbers of similar events and go all conspiracy theory over them. If this was happening at such frequencies in Canada, we would collectively have lost. our. shit. by now.

• nesb
Reply #42
There has to be some way to kill arabs until these shootings stop.

• borealis
  • Administrator

Reply #44

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #45
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Reply #46

Not even 36 hours later, we're on Day 3 PM:

Trump Says Issue Is Mental Health, Not Gun Control
Good thing he signed that law making it harder for mentally ill people to buy guns!!
Oh wait, no, he repealed that law. My bad.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #47
Amazing how so many people instantly knew the guy was mentally ill.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #48
Amazing how so many people instantly knew the guy was mentally ill.

Seriously pisses me off. Mentally ill /= violent monster. The air force never found him 'mentally ill', even after he fractured his small child's skull and beat his wife up repeatedly. He worked other jobs too, and wasn't so 'mentally ill' as not to be able to do the work.

Unless you think a tendency to have rage induced bouts of extreme violence is a defined mental illness, then this guy was not mentally ill, he was just an entitled immature resentful bastard with no self control, something most of us learn in childhood.

Reply #49
I feel like maybe sometimes we expect too much of a mental illness diagnosis. Beating his infant child to the point of breaking hi infant child's skull, then shot up a church because his ex once went there is not a sign of a healthy normally-functioning brain. But at the same time, he clearly knew what he was doing was wrong. I feel like all of this really boils down to this idea that somewhere separate from the brain is a little nook full of free will where good or evil exists, and we need to segregate that out in order to decide whether someone deserves punishment.

Maybe therapy could have helped avert this, but at the same time it's clear that a shitty human being got his hands on a weapon and used it against innocent people. Political terrorism is basically the same thing: shitty person who could probably benefit from therapy decides everyone needs to suffer because of (insert political cause here) and then kills a bunch of people in order to deal with their uncontrollable rage or depression or anxiety.

I dunno, this whole thing has undertones of good and evil that I don't think have any place in law enforcement and gun control discussions.