Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational Mafia: Where paranoia and misplaced trust reign supreme.

Topic: Saudi Arabia purge? (Read 67 times) previous topic - next topic

Saudi Arabia purge?
Anyone have a clue what's going on? I'm seeing a lot of speculation about a purge of the "old guard" related to the late king, including the recent arrests, but not much more concrete.

Re: Saudi Arabia purge?
Reply #1
Mohammad bin Salman is cleaning house, game of Thrones style. He has put his own people in charge of security and economic affairs, and jailing critics and adversaries. And by complete coincidence in a totally unrelated incident which has absolutely nothing do with this, Mansour bin Muqrin died in a helicopter crash on the Jemen border. He was another one of Salman's appointees.

Reply #2
He's throwing pretty much everyone in jail that might have even the remotest claim to throne (or they have accidents....). No wonder the trumpster fire likes this asshole.

• MikeS
Reply #3
His princely arrestees are now residing in the Riyadh Ritz Carlton for "processing".  So far its over 20 princes and 38 other business or government types.  Corruption and flaunting the law are the present published crimes committed that resulted in these arrests.  One of them, billionaire Alwaleed bin Talal, is one of the richest in the nation.  I don't expect Sharia type punishments, but a certain diminishing of princely power, prestige and money will result along with either internal monitoring or suggested exile (with monitors of course).

"Time to retire to the golf course." could be a "punishment" I guess.

Reply #4
I do wonder how much of it is actually corruption related, and how much is just making sure his powerbase is filled with his own cronies.