Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: A board about running a board

Topic: Great, now SA is saber rattling at Iran.  (Read 142 times) previous topic - next topic

Great, now SA is saber rattling at Iran.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Re: Great, now SA is saber rattling at Iran.
Reply #1
they've been butting heads regionally for a while, and are fighting each other through proxies in yemen.  ....  one of those Iranian proxies in yemen apparently launched (tried to launch?) a missile at Riyadh itself, and saudi arabia is somewhat justifiably calling that an act of war by iran against SA.

iran is denying they supplied the missiles, and probably saying (or will say) that this was a rogue faction acting against their wishes, or a different group entirely that they have no association with.  i doubt either country wants direct, open war with each other.  guessing SA's statement was a warning that things will escalate if this happens again, but that they will both find ways to climb down from this.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2
scimitar rattling

• el jefe
Reply #3
that's racist

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #4
I'm not the one trying to erase Middle Eastern innovations.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #5
Given the effects of French colonialism in Northern Africa, the "saber" rattling accusation is particularly egregious.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #6
Given the effects of French colonialism in Northern Africa, the "saber" rattling accusation is particularly egregious.
French and British colonialism (protectorateism?) in the Middle East is a major factor in much of the conflict there.
Are we there yet?

• MikeS
Reply #7
towel head sand n*****s spitting and frothing from their dung huts at each other over the carcass of a pig

Reply #8
Add Lebanon.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lebanon-politics-saudi/saudi-arabia-says-lebanon-has-declared-war-on-it-idUSKBN1D62NQ

Also, this headline: "Hezbollah Urges 'Patience and Calm' Amid Lebanon's Political Crisis"

Reply #9
This has nothing to do with colonialism.  This is simply the age-old Sunni/Shia conflict.  They've been fighting a low-grade proxy war for quite some time, the war just got a bit hotter.  Blaming it on how the nations there were formed makes no sense as this is a fight between nations, not a case of warring factions within a nation.

• el jefe
Reply #10
until today, I would have dismissed the idea that it had something to do with colonialism.  but now that Loren says it didn't, I am reconsidering my position

Reply #11
They have curved swords. Curved. Swords.

Reply #12
For a minute I was wondering why South Africa was saber rattling at Iran.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #13
For a minute I was wondering why South Africa was saber rattling at Iran.
And I wondered why Lowtax was pissed at them. His being banned from Twitter and all