Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: All your meme are belong to us.

Topic: Election 'tampering'. What to do about it? (Read 139 times) previous topic - next topic

Election 'tampering'. What to do about it?
Prompted by this article about bots being used to spread propaganda in the WA state election, which was heavily funded by interests outside the state, and the ongoing investigations at the federal level, I'm prompted to ask:  How do we reduce/minimize/fix this?

Is there a technology answer to at least a lot of the 'bot' problem? I wouldn't mind so much if the GOP swept every house and senate and gov, etc....if the votes were legit, the districts weren't gerrymandered to fuck with things, and there wasn't so much outright voter suppression.

Also, all of these things (even the one I linked to above) are explicitly GOP tactics being used to cheat and win elections. If I were a republican, even if I were winning, I would be pushing to change this from within, but the MAGAbots, and even the less enthusiastic GOPers  seem to be totally with 'cheat to win' as a strategy. We suck at democracy, I guess?

Re: Election 'tampering'. What to do about it?
Reply #1
if there's evidence of tampering, have a new election.

Reply #2
How does that work? What's to stop the tampering from continuing?

Reply #3
or hunt down the tamperers and kill them.

Reply #4

Plus repeal any legislation signed by the fraudulently elected person and their judicial appointments.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #5
or hunt down the tamperers and kill them.
Also the beneficiaries of such tampering.
Are we there yet?

Reply #6

Plus repeal any legislation signed by the fraudulently elected person and their judicial appointments.
Yeah. And remove their court picks.

Eta: lol. I swear I didn't see the second of your 2 lines of text.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #7
Maybe start by researching the problem, by doing actual scientific research instead of paying shithead consultants and reading takes from pundit garbageland.

Reply #8
realistically if we don't publicly execute Neil Gorsuch, we're not doing our democratic duty.

Reply #9
Maybe start by researching the problem, by doing actual scientific research instead of paying shithead consultants and reading takes from pundit garbageland.
Punditry is a weird form of tampering already. The whole idea that interviewing people for their emotional reactions is news is just weird. But it's also conditioning.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #10
I think the Democrats really need to invest in finding an effective way to deal with the fake news issue. It is known that Russians and others are using social media to spread fake news, but how much did that specifically have an impact, as opposed to other factors? Such as: Trump's rallies and word of mouth, mainstream media amplifying his messages and giving him free publicity, etc. How many votes did he really get just from twitter bots and shares from your aunt?

I'm afraid that the plodding Democrat establishment (i.e. Verrit) are going to invest huge amount of time and money into arguing with bots and fake news articles online, which is just boosting their "engagement". There has to be a smarter way.

One possible silver lining I thought of today is that despite how long it will take to recover from Trump and the many imitators who will come after, there probably isn't anyone else who can dominate social media like him. He was already one of the most famous people in America for 30-40 years prior to his campaign. No-names aren't going to be able to just jump on Twitter and pick up 50 million followers by trying to be the next Trump.

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #11
I have no idea what to do about this.  I don't even know if something needs to be done... I'm not sure how it's all that different from TV broadcasts, or any other form of advertising (aka propaganda) done for political purposes.  I mean, manipulating people's emotions and reactions to a candidate is pretty much the cornerstone of political elections.  I don't even know where to begin 'controlling' that in any way that doesn't end up being a massive squashing of free speech.

Aside from that, I've got some qualms about the methodology here.  I mean, they identified bots involved for both candidates:
In their report about the 45th District, the researchers say that almost 10 percent of accounts tweeting about Englund and Dhingra over the past 30 days were classified as bots

But then they went on to only investigate one side of that:
According to the researchers, the suspicious accounts were identified by pulling all tweets with content that was pro-Englund and anti-Dhingra from the past 30 days

How is that not blatant bias in their research approach?
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.