Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Can we not be called a Republic of Freethought anymore. It's a bit embarassing.

Topic: Will today's kids have trouble with computers when they get old? (Read 146 times) previous topic - next topic

Will today's kids have trouble with computers when they get old?
My mom is pretty old and has a lot of trouble now with computers. Thing is, she used them intensively throughout her professional career, beginning, admittedly, with IBM punch cards to run her programs, but she was still using computers intensively after y2k so it's not like she didn't encounter that sort of complexity.

I wonder how it will be different
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Faid
Re: Will today's kids have trouble with computers when they get old?
Reply #1
"Son, this neural connector thingy's acting up again. isn't there a touchscreen I can use?"
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #2
Lol. Ok. Good point.

Reply #3
I think it's a side-effect of getting old. People find driving harder, even if they used to do it intensively. 
Why do I bother?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #4
I think it's a side-effect of getting old. People find driving harder, even if they used to do it intensively.
I don't find the actual driving. operating the vehicle, harder, it's just getting harder and harder to deal with the other assholes on the road. I really need to install that 37mm auto-cannon.

That should help establish the social hierarchy.

I'm #1 and you're 0, so park it to the side or ...
  • Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:50:20 AM by RAFH
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #5
Common critique from youth.
Are we there yet?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #6
It is a common side effect though. My 82 year old friend is now having trouble using the same computer she used effortlessly only a couple years ago. It takes her more time to remember the appropriate action to accomplish the required task. Sometimes she forgets a crucial step in a necessary sequence. She's otherwise pretty well as competent mentally as five years ago.

• Faid
Reply #7
It's both, I suppose. As we age, it gets harder to do the same things as efficiently and effortlessly as before, but it also becomes increasingly difficult to learn new methods and practices.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #8
It is a common side effect though. My 82 year old friend is now having trouble using the same computer she used effortlessly only a couple years ago. It takes her more time to remember the appropriate action to accomplish the required task. Sometimes she forgets a crucial step in a necessary sequence. She's otherwise pretty well as competent mentally as five years ago.
Yeah. My mom has been using computers since there were computers and it's only been the past few years that it's been difficult.

• MikeS
Reply #9
This is your brain.                                                                                    This is your brain on age.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #10
 :stareicide:

Fucking stark man.

Reply #11
Shit I get weirded out by an iOS update and I'm not even 40.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #12
Who really cares?
Are we there yet?

Reply #13
Me. That's why I started the thread.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #14
I suspect that the real danger is that the generation(s) that grew up with console gaming are about to enter the retirement homes and I predict there will be lots of injuries like broken hip and collar bones as a result of fights over whose turn it is and who is taking too long a turn on the XBox.  :getoffmylawnoldman:
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Pingu
Reply #15
It's not us getting older that's the problem.  It's software getting stupider.

:whyyou:
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #16
I suspect that the real danger is that the generation(s) that grew up with console gaming are about to enter the retirement homes and I predict there will be lots of injuries like broken hip and collar bones as a result of fights over whose turn it is and who is taking too long a turn on the XBox.  :getoffmylawnoldman:

Sadly, elderly reflexes get steadily slower; they won't be able to play most of those games. Also arthritis, tremors, etc.

I predict an upsurge in games that don't rely on being fast, especially games that involve complex puzzles or require you to construct or create things. There are lots of games like that already, but most aren't very sophisticated and are mostly static graphically. Need some aging game developers to think about this.

Reply #17
Myst 74....
Why do I bother?