Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: in the name of the father and the fuzzi ghost

Topic: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World) (Read 123812 times) previous topic - next topic

Dave Hawkins, superhoop, MikeS (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Re: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World)
Reply #26825
Ok here's my settlement diagram ... approx 500 acres ... 0.8 mile X 1 mile ... approx 40 dwellings ... half of them is elder housing at center ... other half out further ... 120 persons total ...  purposely did not draw roads or paths yet ... upper version is lots of small farmers ... lower version is 4 larger ones.

Now let's look at food production ... first we will consider a simple diet ... milk, meat, eggs, wheat, oats and potatoes  and later we can look at a more varied diet.  Also for simplicity we will assume that 50% of each person's food calories comes from milk, meat, and eggs, 25% comes from grains, and 25% comes from potatoes.  Let's assume that half of the farmers in each scenario are like me and like raising milk, eggs, and meat in a single integrated rotationally grazed system. And the other half are like Pingu and they raise the potatoes and the grains.  Now potatoes and grains are well suited for a single harvest every year and they store well.  Milk, meat, and eggs do not store well.  So now that I have stated some working assumptions, let's do some analysis and see if we can find out which system works best and why.
Let's assume that both scenarios are like a checkerboard. And all the farmers on the red squares raise milk, meat, and eggs. And all the farmers on the black squares raise and potatoes and grains. 
Dave, all those squares are black. And everyone's going to get scurvy.
Lol

You never did read that article I posted by Stefansson about scurvy did you?
  • Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:56:40 PM by Dave Hawkins

• Zombies!
  • Honorary Manipulative Bitch
Reply #26826
Dave, how are you recovering dryer heat?
My own theory is that he kens fine he jist disnae wantae.

• Zombies!
Reply #26827
Dave, before you go all weird with a utopia no one wants, how about a simple chart showing what animals you brought to your hovel, and what happened to them all. 

• Zombies!
Reply #26828
How about detailing the results of you animal "experiment" in a simple spreadsheet, detailing when bought, how they died or ran off, and what you learned.  Perhaps you could mention if the lesson learned was something other people tried to warn you about, if your davehastoberightism doesn't prevent it?

• Pingu
Reply #26829
Ok here's my settlement diagram ... approx 500 acres ... 0.8 mile X 1 mile ... approx 40 dwellings ... half of them is elder housing at center ... other half out further ... 120 persons total ...  purposely did not draw roads or paths yet ... upper version is lots of small farmers ... lower version is 4 larger ones.

Now let's look at food production ... first we will consider a simple diet ... milk, meat, eggs, wheat, oats and potatoes  and later we can look at a more varied diet.  Also for simplicity we will assume that 50% of each person's food calories comes from milk, meat, and eggs, 25% comes from grains, and 25% comes from potatoes.  Let's assume that half of the farmers in each scenario are like me and like raising milk, eggs, and meat in a single integrated rotationally grazed system. And the other half are like Pingu and they raise the potatoes and the grains.  Now potatoes and grains are well suited for a single harvest every year and they store well.  Milk, meat, and eggs do not store well.  So now that I have stated some working assumptions, let's do some analysis and see if we can find out which system works best and why.
Let's assume that both scenarios are like a checkerboard. And all the farmers on the red squares raise milk, meat, and eggs. And all the farmers on the black squares raise and potatoes and grains. 
Lol

You forgot the fish.

You always forget the fish.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #26830
Hahahaha

Alfonso take note.  If you're going to post garbage, at least make it funny like zombies does.

• Fenrir
Reply #26831
Hahahaha

Alfonso take note.  If you're going to post garbage, at least make it funny like zombies does.

I.e. a dryer would inferfere with David's majic flameproof straw, causing a disturbance in the farce.
It's what plants crave.

• Zombies!
Reply #26832
Hahahaha

:stuckup:
Don't tell me you are using coin operated machines, with all the inefficiency, and waste heat?
#shitDave #pullItTogether #fakeEcowarrior.

Reply #26833
Dave. As your currently doing the "work a bit and play on the farm" thingie and recommending it as a solution to the worlds problems then your usage of fuel, and other external inputs is very relevant. Please provide some numbers.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• nesb
Reply #26834
Dave's commune would be able to get vitamin C from the potatoes, and animal byproducts, like beef spleen. I don't see what the Stefansson account has to do with anything whatsoever, though.

• Zombies!
Reply #26835
How about a environmental footprint self assessment.
Dave could pick a few criterea, others could add some, then we could all take the quiz and see who is living the lowest impact lifestyle.  
You in, Dave?  We could bet cash money!!!

• Zombies!
Reply #26836
I have a criterea!
Heating cost per person hour of habitation, in carbon.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #26837

Lol

You forgot the fish.

You always forget the fish.

He does. Interesting bit of vitamin C lore"

Mg. Vitamin C per 100 grams:

codfish roe - 26 mg
blueberries - 10
fresh goat milk - 2

Of course other sources are much more concentrated...

rose hips - 426
blackcurrant - 200

And topping the list at 1000 to 5300, Australia's kakadu plum

closely followed at 2800, from the Amazon rainforest, the riverside camu camu berry:

But fish eggs are up there in the normal world. :)

Reply #26838
My settlement will be so much better. We'll have lentils and glass blowers.
Mine will have pot and magic mushrooms.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #26839
My settlement will be so much better. We'll have lentils and glass blowers.
Mine will have pot and magic mushrooms.

Mine will have all of the above plus lavender and wild blueberries and a pottery.  :stuckup:

Reply #26840
I had rosehip/mint tea at lunch today!

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #26841

You are full of vitamin C and your tummy is calm!

Reply #26842
"You always forget the fish"

I really have no idea what you're talking about.

There is lots of vitamin C in beef liver. Presumably rabbit liver and pork liver as well. 

See the chart in this article ... https://chriskresser.com/natures-most-potent-superfood/

• JonF
Reply #26843
Dave's commune would be able to get vitamin C from the potatoes, and animal byproducts, like beef spleen. I don't see what the Stefansson account has to do with anything whatsoever, though.
It's just one of his standard attempts to derail the current subtopic. Sound and fury, signifying nothing.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• Zombies!
Reply #26844
 :awgee: c'mon Dave, how about a apples to apples comparison of your lifestyle, compared to both members of this group, and , for instance, Dancing rabbit members.  
You seem afraid of being scored, what should people read from this?

Reply #26845

You are full of vitamin C and your tummy is calm!
I almost threw some chamomile in it too but I don't know where I put it. One of my kids got a cool little frog that you fill with tea/whatever and it sits in hot water till it's steeped but left it at my house so I took it to work. I hope I get to keep it. It's a part of my life now.

Reply #26846
:awgee: c'mon Dave, how about a apples to apples comparison of your lifestyle, compared to both members of this group, and , for instance, Dancing rabbit members. 
Not afraid. Just no point. I know where I'm headed and I'm getting there. Slow but sure. I'm flattered that you're so interested in my life though.

• Zombies!
Reply #26847
:awgee: c'mon Dave, how about a apples to apples comparison of your lifestyle, compared to both members of this group, and , for instance, Dancing rabbit members. 
Not afraid. Just no point. I know where I'm headed and I'm getting there. Slow but sure. I'm flattered that you're so interested in my life though.
Uh, no Dave.  There's that problem with laughing with, versus laughing at. 
You have been at this for years, and at your current rate, you will never get to Dancing Rabbit levels of ecological responsibility.  Hell, you're not even close to mine.  A goal without a date is a dream, Dave.
Pull that head out of your hamster hole, and walk the walk, Dave.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #26848
Note that three of those "sentences" have no verbs.
I think we all know what that means.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #26849

Lol

Yes Dave I did. Are you proposing that everyone should live like the Inuit? Who's farming whales and seals Dave? The nutritional value of marine mammals is not comparable to terrestrial ones. Which you keep ignoring.

Dave, the squares are black. Nobody's producing any animal products. The farmers are growing potatoes and grains. Which ones are raising meat Dave?

Now, once you've corrected that, draw in roads connecting each house. And then measure how long they have to be in each situation, and how far each individual has to travel to get what they need.
Why do I bother?