Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Can we not be called a Republic of Freethought anymore. It's a bit embarassing.

Topic: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World) (Read 131631 times) previous topic - next topic

Fenrir, Pingu, Dave Hawkins, superhoop, Sea Star (+ 2 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
  • VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Re: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World)
Reply #27675
So your answer to that is "yes, because conspiracy theory".
well I guess you could call the practice of mega corporations and other large operators of purchasing land which is not degrading and converting it to tillage system as "conspiracy" if you like.  I personally don't think these CEOs sit around scheming about how to destroy land. I just think that they are focused on profits and they don't realize that they are destroying land.  They think that they are "feeding the world." Which they are in the short-term. But not in the long term.
I don't think the Trump Organization even claims to be "feeding the world".
It's just focused on profits and is destroying land.
Yet these are the people you decided to turn the country over to.

:sad:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Zombies!
  • Honorary Manipulative Bitch
Reply #27676
"What is it that you do Dave, and how does it saving the world?  I understand you spend hours driving yourself around, by yourself?"

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this is an honest question so I will answer it. I am impressed with your personal lifestyle and with your work which involves recycling metals. That's laudable.

As for what I'm doing, one way to look at it is that I'm doing two things... (1)  working an unsustainable town job to finance the unsustainable lifestyle of my ex-wife and kids, and the unsustainable parts of my own lifestyle which include things at present like buying boxed cereal which is the product of destructive tillage and annual monocropping  (2)  gradually transitioning myself away from the unsustainable parts of my own lifestyle in such a way that  these practices can be easily and inexpensively duplicated by others.
You should change jobs. Is the job easy money?  Because that's no excuse to emit carbon.
I'm not saying you're evil, I just think that you are focused on profits and you don't realize that you are destroying the environment
  • Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:02:25 AM by Zombies!
My own theory is that he kens fine he jist disnae wantae.

Reply #27677
Rodeo clown seems like a good fit.

Reply #27678
"What is it that you do Dave, and how does it saving the world?  I understand you spend hours driving yourself around, by yourself?"

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this is an honest question so I will answer it. I am impressed with your personal lifestyle and with your work which involves recycling metals. That's laudable.

As for what I'm doing, one way to look at it is that I'm doing two things... (1)  working an unsustainable town job to finance the unsustainable lifestyle of my ex-wife and kids, and the unsustainable parts of my own lifestyle which include things at present like buying boxed cereal which is the product of destructive tillage and annual monocropping  (2)  gradually transitioning myself away from the unsustainable parts of my own lifestyle in such a way that  these practices can be easily and inexpensively duplicated by others.
You should change jobs. Is the job easy money?  Because that's no excuse to emit carbon.
I'm not saying you're evil, I just think that you are focused on profits and you don't realize that you are destroying the environment
Haha ...  good come back.

Reply #27679
Yes it's easy money.  But hold on ... If I quit, won't somebody else just take my job?   They will.  Sears is not going to say "oh crap, Dave Hawkins quit and he quit because he doesn't want to emit carbon, so maybe we should just leave his position unfilled so that we as a company will emit less carbon."  Sears is not going to say that.  No... Instead, they will just hire someone else. And they will try to hire someone better than me if they can. That will be difficult, but it could happen. :-)

Reply #27680
Maybe I should stop raping babies. But hold on...how do I know somebody else won't rape babies? I'd better keep raping babies!

Reply #27681
Lol

EDIT: Actually that's a pretty weird comparison. I've never even heard of anyone "raping" a baby.  Aborting, yes. But never raping.
  • Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:19:09 AM by Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #27682
Pretty sure they won't stop building McMansions, just because I don't buy one.
etc.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Zombies!
Reply #27683
Yes it's easy money.  But hold on ... If I quit, won't somebody else just take my job?  They will.  Sears is not going to say "oh crap, Dave Hawkins quit and he quit because he doesn't want to emit carbon, so maybe we should just leave his position unfilled so that we as a company will emit less carbon."  Sears is not going to say that.  No... Instead, they will just hire someone else. And they will try to hire someone better than me if they can. That will be difficult, but it could happen. :-)
Ah, a variant of the Nuremberg defense, "befehl is befehl!"  And how well did it work there?  Take responsibility for your actions.  

Reply #27684
To my way of thinking, I will be in a much better position to have the "I'm quitting my Sears job" conversation with my ex-wife when my sustainable house and sustainable farm are fully functional.   it sounds fine and dandy to say "I'm quitting" and I have acquaintances who have done that  sort of thing  out of protest and such, but it doesn't appear to me to be very effective long-term strategy unless you've got something viable to replace the job you're quitting.

• Photon
  • I interfere with myself
Reply #27685
I wonder what the ecological impact of this "fake meat" is ...

"Real meat" raised correctly IMPROVES ecosystems. (And methane is not a problem)

My guess is that fake meat degrades them

Not buying it. How is methane not a problem?  You have no measures of ecosystem improvement either. Charlatanry.

• Zombies!
Reply #27686
To my way of thinking, I will be in a much better position to have the "I'm quitting my Sears job" conversation with my ex-wife when my sustainable house and sustainable farm are fully functional.  it sounds fine and dandy to say "I'm quitting" and I have acquaintances who have done that  sort of thing  out of protest and such, but it doesn't appear to me to be very effective long-term strategy unless you've got something viable to replace the job you're quitting.
So how many hours a week do you spend looking for a more environmentally sustainable job?  One should not be lazy!  Be an inspiration to your children, work to make the world a better place. Not a knowing cog in a filthy machine.

• JonF
Reply #27687
Lol

EDIT: Actually that's a pretty weird comparison. I've never even heard of anyone "raping" a baby.  Aborting, yes. But never raping.
Much more apropos than any of your lame analogies.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #27688
Book of Mormon.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #27689
To my way of thinking, I will be in a much better position to have the "I'm quitting my Sears job" conversation with my ex-wife when my sustainable house and sustainable farm are fully functional.  it sounds fine and dandy to say "I'm quitting" and I have acquaintances who have done that  sort of thing  out of protest and such, but it doesn't appear to me to be very effective long-term strategy unless you've got something viable to replace the job you're quitting.
Tomorrow, tomorrow
I love ya tomorrow
You're always
A day
Away

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #27690
I've never even heard of anyone "raping" a baby.  Aborting, yes.
You're thinking of fetuses.

Reply #27691
Babies.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #27692
Babies.
No, Dave.
That's your right-wing puppet-masters' talking.
Baby definition
a very young child, especially one newly or recently born.
"his wife's just had a baby"
synonyms: infant, newborn, child, tot, little one; More
It turns out words have meanings.

• Pingu
Reply #27693
I've never even heard of anyone "raping" a baby.  Aborting, yes.
You're thinking of fetuses.

Actually, he's thinking of pregnancies.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• Zombies!
Reply #27694
I think it's worth noting that I worked for a company with whom I signed a extraordinarily thorough NDA.
The money was quite nice, but I had concerns with, er, environmental things, so I changed fields.  I t took quite some time to get my salary back to what I earned years ago, but it's worth it when my granddaughter asks me what I do, and I don't reflexively answer with "on counsel's advice, I invoke my rights under the fifth amendment of the US Constitution..."

Reply #27695
I don't know how reasonable it is to imagine everyone raising their own cattle, but in some few decades, it might be possible for everyone to grow their own beef. Think every home having a personal cultured meat vat, fed with leftover produce. Some of that produce could come from community rooftop gardens.

Which might be a bit utopian, but great strides are being made towards perfecting cultured meat.

An additional alternative is that we develop suitable substitutes for meat as well. Some of the best 'meat' dishes I eat have no meat in them. I'll take vegetarian (soy based) hotdogs over meat hotdogs any day. Similarly tofu instead of beef in stir fry type dishes.
Veggie dogs are ok but I live ten blocks or so from fotos sausages that make some of the best dogs in the world (consistently in America's top ten winners) and let me just say they are better than veggie dogs and not overly expensive either.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #27696
Most hotdogs are crappy 80% rusk things where you barely have any meat in them anyway. Proper sausages however (and by extension proper frankfurters), couldn't be more different.
That's what I meant.

Reply #27697

You know, a friend of mine with a pretty amazing garden space (he lives out of town so it's like 100x200 ft.) grows a small plot of oats. He rolls them with a pair of round stones he made or bought I dunno which and stores them in 1 gallon zip lock bags. It has never occurred to me to ask what kind of yield they get, I'm guessing they plant around 100 sq ft or so, but it seems like it's kind of a lot because they give their kids oatmeal for breakfast often enough that they talk about it. They don't plant the seed underground I think because they don't weed that area, the oats just grow taller than the cover crop. Might be.worth looking into.

Reply #27698
I think it's worth noting that I worked for a company with whom I signed a extraordinarily thorough NDA.
The money was quite nice, but I had concerns with, er, environmental things, so I changed fields.  I t took quite some time to get my salary back to what I earned years ago, but it's worth it when my granddaughter asks me what I do, and I don't reflexively answer with "on counsel's advice, I invoke my rights under the fifth amendment of the US Constitution..."
Admirable.

My approach will be to get my own personal housing / food / energy transitioned to a higher degree of sustainability ... then phase out my Sears job gradually.   I'm also trying to influence my boss to give us smaller geographical areas so we are not spending so much money on gas driving all over creation.

• Faid
Reply #27699
Yes it's easy money.  But hold on ... If I quit, won't somebody else just take my job?   They will.  Sears is not going to say "oh crap, Dave Hawkins quit and he quit because he doesn't want to emit carbon, so maybe we should just leave his position unfilled so that we as a company will emit less carbon."  Sears is not going to say that.  No... Instead, they will just hire someone else. And they will try to hire someone better than me if they can. That will be difficult, but it could happen. :-)
So?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.