Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Athletic Choreographed Fantasy Display

Topic: We could use a Police Abuse sticky - Part 3 - Zombie Edition (Read 5092 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: We could use a Police Abuse sticky - Part 3 - Zombie Edition
Reply #400
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #401

Reply #402

Reply #403
Thread on abuse by police lab techs, possibly overturning tens of thousands of convictions.

ETA: For a sense of scale, Massachusetts handles around 350k arraignments (let alone convictions, which I wasn't able to find quickly) for all crimes per year.
  • Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:18:29 PM by uncool

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #404
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #405
NYPD has been fighting for over a year now trying to avoid having to account how much cash and property they have seized using forfeiture using the same excuse.

Judge shocked to learn NYPD's evidence database has no backup

As part of an ongoing legal battle to get the New York City Police Department to track money police have grabbed in cash forfeitures, an attorney for the city told a Manhattan judge on October 17 that part of the reason the NYPD can't comply with such requests is that the department's evidence database has no backup. If the database servers that power NYPD's Property and Evidence Tracking System (PETS)--designed and installed by Capgemini under a $25.5 million contract between 2009 and 2012--were to fail, all data on stored evidence would simply cease to exist.

Courthouse News reported that Manhattan Supreme Court judge Arlene Bluth responded repeatedly to the city's attorney with the same phrase: "That's insane."

Last year, NYPD's Assistant Deputy Commissioner Robert Messner told the City Council's public safety committee that "attempts to perform the types of searches envisioned in the bill will lead to system crashes and significant delays during the intake and release process." The claim was key to the department's refusal to provide the data accounting for the approximately $6 million seized in cash and property every year. As of 2013, according to the nonprofit group Bronx Defenders, the NYPD was carrying a balance sheet of more than $68 million in cash seized.

City attorney Neil Giovanatti continued that line of argument. He claimed that the NYPD doesn't have the technical capability to pull an audit report from its forfeiture database--because the system wasn't designed to do that.

But an expert witness for Bronx Defenders, which is suing for access to the data, undercut claims that the system could not produce a report on the cash. Robert Pesner, former chief enterprise architect for New York City's Department of Housing Preservation and Development, told the court, "Based on the information I have reviewed about the technical specifications of PETS's hardware and software, it is my opinion that it is technologically feasible to retrieve much of the data sought from PETS by running queries directly on the underlying [IBM] DB2 database."

When it was activated in 2012, Capgemini vaunted PETS--which was built using SAP's enterprise resource planning (ERP) software platform as well as IBM DB2 databases--as a flagship public sector project. The company went as far as submitting PETS as a nominee for the 2012 Computerworld Honors awards. But the system was apparently designed without any scheme for backing up the database or any sort of data warehouse to perform analytics on the data.

When told by Giovanatti that the police department's IT department did not keep backups and only knew that the database "is in IBM," Judge Bluth responded, "Do you want the Daily News to be reporting that you have no copy of the data?... That deserves an exposé in the New York Times."
  • Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:33:38 PM by Doobie Keebler
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

Reply #406
City Police Officer Paid 15-Year-Old for Sex and Taped It, Prosecutors Say

NYPD detectives forced woman in custody to perform sex acts, then claimed it was consensual
The detectives from the NYPD's Brooklyn South narcotics squad claim the acts were consensual, police sources said.

• ksen
Reply #407

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #408
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/11/01/n-j-police-chief-said-black-people-are-like-isis-and-hed-like-to-be-on-the-firing-squad-feds-say/

The former chief of a small township in New Jersey has been arrested on federal hate crime and civil rights charges for what federal authorities described as a pattern of racist comments and behavior -- including slamming an African American teen's head into a metal door jam and saying that black people are "like ISIS."

Frank Nucera Jr., 60, who had been chief of the Bordentown Township Police Department, was arrested Monday, and the charges against him were unsealed Tuesday. The allegations are notable for the blatant racism they describe by a law enforcement leader.

According to a criminal complaint in the case, filed in federal district court in New Jersey, Nucera frequently referred to African Americans by racial slurs and espoused violence toward them. In November 2015, for example, when he was talking to a subordinate officer about an African American man he believed to have slashed the tires of a police vehicle, Nucera said, "I wish that n‑‑‑‑‑ would come back from Trenton and give me a reason to put my hands on him, I'm tired of 'em. These n‑‑‑‑‑s are like ISIS, they have no value. They should line them all up and mow 'em down. I'd like to be on the firing squad, I could do it," according to the complaint.

Nucera also used police dogs to intimidate African Americans, bring canines to high school basketball games when his department was providing security and positioning them near the entrance to the gym, federal authorities alleged.

Reply #409
Wow. I'm surprised he was arrested and charged. When I first saw this headline, I thought he was just going to coincidentally 'retire'.

Reply #410
http://www.news5cleveland.com/longform/how-a-government-sanctioned-scam-in-newburgh-heights-has-taken-thousands-of-dollars-from-drivers

The conversation was lively and included a key question about billing for the response of police.
Turns out the mayor admitted it's all soft billing.

What's that? That's the scam.

You don't have to pay. It never tells you there's no enforcement to pay in the official-looking bills sent to people who are at-fault and live out of town. The bills just keep on coming.

Reply #411

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #412
https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/busted-watch-la-cops-plant-drugs-in-black-suspects-wallet-unaware-their-body-cams-were-on/
I have to wonder why the judge has not ordered the officers in contempt of court and charged with perjury, obstructing justice, tampering with evidence, etc.m  all felonies.
Are we there yet?

Reply #413
Really? You have to wonder that?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #414
Really? You have to wonder that?

Has the judge done so?
If not, why not?
Are we there yet?

Reply #415
Because cops don't get charged with crimes.

• ksen
Reply #416
Has the judge done so?
If not, why not?

Someday this judge will need help when he's found with a live boy or a dead girl and where will he be if he's known as the judge that's charged cops?

Reply #417

Reply #418

Reply #419
And guns.

• ksen
Reply #420
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/11/09/lapd-bodycam-video-appears-contradict-officer-testimony/

Obviously bodycams need to go. They are putting our brave officers' lives in jeopardy.

• nesb
Reply #421
The 30 second thing aside, it seems to kinda defeat the point of the cams, if cops can just shut them off whenever, and not be questioned about it.

Reply #422

Reply #423
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/pennsylvania/articles/2017-11-17/couple-sues-after-police-mistake-hibiscus-for-marijuana
Lawsuit: Couple Detained After Hibiscus Mistaken for Pot
A Pennsylvania couple who say they were handcuffed for hours in a police patrol car after their hibiscus plants were confused for marijuana are suing the police and an insurance company.

Nov. 17, 2017, at 3:01 p.m.

Lawsuit: Couple Detained After Hibiscus Mistaken for Pot

SARVER, Pa. (AP) -- A couple who say they were handcuffed for hours in a police patrol car after their hibiscus plants were confused for marijuana are suing the police and an insurance company.

Edward and Audrey Cramer say in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that a Nationwide Insurance Co. agent investigating a fallen tree at their Buffalo Township home sent photos of their flowering plant to police. The lawsuit alleges that Buffalo Township police officers with assault rifles went to their home on Oct. 7 to investigate.

Audrey Cramer, 66, said she was partially dressed when she went to the door and police would not let her put on pants before she was handcuffed.

"I was not treated as though I was a human being," she said. "I was just something they were going to push aside."

Edward Cramer, 69, said he returned home a half-hour later to find his wife in the back of a police cruiser and officers pointing guns at him. He also was placed in the cruiser despite trying to convince the officers the plants were hibiscus, not marijuana.

"They actually ignored me," he said. "They wouldn't even listen. I said, 'I can show you pictures on the internet.'"

The Cramers eventually were released without charges. They are seeking monetary and compensatory damages and court costs.

Nationwide Insurance declined to comment on Friday, citing the litigation. Township police also declined to comment.

Reply #424
http://reason.com/archives/2017/11/19/the-cops-were-chasing-a-shopli

Over the course of June 3 and 4, 2015, a devastating police raid systematically destroyed Lech's old home. The cops were responding to a crime that Lech had nothing to do with: A suspected shoplifter had barricaded himself inside the house after a chase, sparking a 19-hour standoff with a multi-jurisdictional SWAT team. Unleashing a display of force commonly reserved for the battlefield, the tactical team bombarded the building with high-caliber rifles, chemical agents, flash-bang grenades, remote-controlled robots, armored vehicles, and breaching rams--all to extract a petty thief with a handgun.

When it was over, Lech's house was completely unlivable. The City of Greenwood Village condemned it, forcing Lech to topple the wrecked structure. Making matters worse, the municipality refused to pay fair market value for the destruction.