Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• She did look at it and confirmed that I basically fucked everything to the point of no return.

Topic: How do yall get a thread merged around here (Read 442 times) previous topic - next topic

• Old Dan
How do yall get a thread merged around here
I dun goofd, yall, I made a new thread without realizin one was already made fer the same subject. I dont see report buttons to ask fer a merge. It's a Bastille Day thread in Politics, well, now there's two. I dunno what to do.

• Old Dan
Re: How do yall get a thread merged around here
Reply #1
Never mind, yall. I done copied the posts to the original thread, and clicked the "Remove" option to delete my thread. I didnt know we could delete our own threads, I'm mighty obliged.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #2
The Report link is under the More... button.

• Old Dan
Reply #3
Oh, dammit. I hate new stuff.

• Old Dan
Reply #4
Well if yall keep the option fer folks to Remove their own posts and/or threads, we can be our own moderators. I used to post on a board fer authors and those trying to become published authors, and they let anyone edit or delete any of their own posts, whenever. So every time some feller (or ladyfolk, usually) flounced off the forum, they deleted most of all of their posts first,

Anyway I'm just sayin that with the tools already provided, TR folks can undo their mispostin on their own.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #5
I would hope there is a time limit on the removal for the exact reasons you stated.

• MikeS
Reply #6
You curmudgeon.

• Old Dan
Reply #7
I would hope there is a time limit on the removal for the exact reasons you stated.
I think a normal message board should allow about 10-20 minutes fer quick editing, and then close it ferever to the poster. The writers' forum I mentioned was a huge mess, with entire threads missing comments from the 2 or 3 folks who were carryin on.

The model of lettin folks have an infinite amount of time to edit their posts dont sit too well with me.

I'm mighty glad I figured out how to fix the need fer a merge on my own with the tools yall provide.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #8
I think I've turned off thread delete for users.  The way permissions are set up here is pretty different from vbulletin.  If you still have the ability to delete a thread, let me know.

We have a two hour window on making edits to posts,  That's also how original TR was set up. 

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #9
I think I've turned off thread delete for users.  The way permissions are set up here is pretty different from vbulletin.  If you still have the ability to delete a thread, let me know.

We have a two hour window on making edits to posts,  That's also how original TR was set up. 
I don't mind having the delete option match the edit option.  A user could (nearly) as easily edit each post in a thread to make the responses nonsensical as deleting them.  And in this case it worked the best for everyone as OD was able to "merge" without having to hassle the mods.  I dunno, maybe a 30-min or 1-hour window to delete if it's two hours to edit.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #10
I don't think it's possible to set a time for allowing post deletion.  It's controlled by the allowed post edit time.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #11
Then the 1st sentence of my above post applies.

eta:  Of course that's just my opinion, I suppose we should convene a steering committee to propose a charter amendment.

• MSG
Reply #12
I nominate ST
braying among the ruins

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #13
do you mean for recall or for him to do something?

• MSG
Reply #14
for the position of steering committee member, so he can invest months of fruitless effort without prospect of an outcome
braying among the ruins

• ffejrxx
Reply #15
You curmudgeon.
why did i read that as 'cumdragon'

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #16
nope not touching that