Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: We've never heard of you but it fits in with our understanding.

Topic: The TR Charter (Read 356 times) previous topic - next topic

• Old Dan
The TR Charter
Here yall go, the TalkRational Charter.

Quote from: Pingu;2191899
Copy pasted below:

Quote from: dug_down_deep;369655
The Talk Rational Charter

This charter is a collection of principles limiting what rules and procedures can be made.
Rules, procedures and interpretations of rules may not contradict any part of this charter.

1) Alterations

(1.1) Changes to this charter must be ratified by member vote.
(1.2) Adding, removing, or changing of text in the charter requires a 75% majority.
(1.3) Charter revision polls must remain open for at least 2 weeks, and may remain open longer if member participation is low.
(1.4) No change to the charter, the rules, or the procedures may take effect retroactively.

Ratification Poll. Revised July 30, 2009

2) Board Policy Decisions

(2.1) Town Hall is for policy discussion and member concerns and cannot be shut down.
(2.2) Members who are not suspended/banned from the entire board may always participate in Town Hall.
(2.3) Member input and consultation will be solicited for policy discussions and decisions.
(2.4) Policy (including rule and procedure changes) must be made by public staff vote.
(2.5) Individual staff voting records may not be hidden.

(3) Posting Standards

(3.1) All forums will display individual rules for tolerance of insults.
(3.2) Members are expected to post according to the rules of the forum.
(3.3) Posts outside this tolerance may be moved.
(3.4) Members have the right to be protected from harassment.
(3.5) Posts will not be moved for swearing.
(3.6) Posts will only be edited or deleted to remove duplicate posts, spam, malicious code or links to malicious code, illegal content, and members' personal data not posted with their explicit permission. Members may request for staff to edit/delete their own posts after the 120-minute edit period expires, but the integrity of the thread will take precedence.
(3.7) Personal data that will be removed automatically includes telephone numbers, home addresses, IP addresses, and financial account information, including social security numbers, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, etc. Also, personal information that has explicitly been given the no-go by a member in the past will be deleted automatically. Other types of personal information may be deleted or edited at the request of the person the info belongs to.

Ratification Poll. Revised July 30, 2009.

(4) Moderators

(4.1) New Moderators must be chosen by both members and existing staff.
(4.2) Moderators primarily moderate within their allotted forum/fora, but may moderate in other fora on a short-term basis if needed.
(4.3) Moderators may be recalled at any time by public vote of members or staff. Recall votes may not be prevented.
(4.4) Moderators talk to members and edit threads to ensure discussion stays within the rules for their forum or is moved to a suitable forum.
(4.5) Moderators must post to indicate when they have taken action.
(4.6) Moderators may give emergency bans to spammers.
(4.7) Moderators refer handling of disruptive members (see 7.1) to the Administrators.
(4.8) Moderators monitor the Post Reports and Private Feedback forum and respond to threads concerning their fora.
(4.9) Moderators participate in staff forum threads relevant to their assigned responsibilities.

(5) Sys-Admins

(5.1) Sys-Admins are selected by staff for technical ability.
(5.2) Sys-Admins may not simultaneously serve as Treasurer, own the hosted server account, own the message board software license, or own the domain name.
(5.3) Sys-Admins are responsible for board software and data.
(5.4) Sys-Admins may ban abusive posters as described in section 7.4.
(5.5) Sys-Admins have no other administrative duties.
(5.6) Sys-Admins may vote in full-staff votes but not in Administrator votes.

(6) Administrators

(6.1) New Administrators must be approved via vote by both members and existing staff.
(6.2) Administrators may be recalled at any time by public vote of members or staff.
(6.3) Recall votes may not be prevented.
(6.4) Administrators check IPs to identify sock-puppets or duplicate accounts.
(6.5) Administrators may overturn Moderator actions after member complaint.
(6.6) Administrators ensure forums have adequate staff.
(6.7) Administrators remove moderators who cannot perform their duties.
(6.8) Administrators moderate the Town Hall, and may request moderators to assist.
(6.9) Administrators may help moderate other forums on a short term basis if needed.
(6.10) Administrators may ban or suspend members as outlined in Section 7.
(6.11) Administrators ensure appeals take place when requested and as required in Section 7.
(6.12) Administrators add, change, and remove forums and do other configuration required to tailor the message board.
(6.13) Administrators participate in relevant threads in the staff fora.

(7) Bans, Suspensions and Appeals

(7.1) "Disruptive members" are those who repeatedly break board-wide rules, or who repeatedly behave in a way that the Administrators consider harmful to the board and/or its members.
(7.2) "Bans" remove the ability of a member to see any TR content while logged on. "Suspensions" may allow a member to view all TR content available to members, but prevents posting or editing some or all content.
(7.3) Administrators may suspend disruptive members from one or more forums and/or elements of board functionality (but see 2.3).
(7.4) Spammers, sock-puppets of banned or suspended members, and posters of malicious code or links may be banned unilaterally and instantly.
(7.5) All other suspensions require a majority vote of Administrators.
(7.6) Suspensions longer than one week require the Administrators to liaise with the member beforehand with the aim of reaching another solution. Bans are permanent. Suspensions are temporary or indefinite.
(7.7) Suspensions longer than one week may be appealed, with the appeal being judged by one or more non-staff members.
(7.8) The result of an appeal may be a ratification, overturn, or modification of the imposed suspension.

(8) Finances

(8.1) A Treasurer and Secretary are selected by unanimous Administrator approval and ratified by member vote.
(8.2) The owners of the talkrational.org vbulletin license, hosted server account and domain name may be any member in good standing, including staff other than the Sys-admins. However, the Treasurer may not simultaneously serve as a Sys-Admin, own the hosted server account, own the message board software license, or own the domain name.
(8.3) The Treasurer, Secretary, and owners of the hosted server account, license, and domain name must provide real-world names and addresses to the Administrators.
(8.4) The Treasurer has sole access to maintain and manage the TR bank account and Paypal/credit/debit card, and provides statements to the Secretary.
(8.5) The Secretary verifies the statements and audit trail.
(8.6) These two officers are responsible to provide a transparent record of the account, donations, and expense to members.
(8.7) With the Administrators, these two officers are responsible for determining the need for donation drives and for running such drives.
(8.8) Expenses not directly related to the running of the board must be approved by unanimous Administrator vote and announced to the members.

• Old Dan
Re: The TR Charter
Reply #1
Please sticky  <3  :hug:  :fistbump:

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #2
:rofl:

Good times!
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #3
Oh God! I remember how long it took us to thrash that out.

I'm surprised it's changed so little over the years, to be honest. We must have done a good job. Or no-one cares. Or both.

Reply #4
no one cares
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #5
Old Dan there is a "Don't use smileys." check box at the bottom when you post.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #6
no one cares
which actually probably means that you did a good job.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #7

I'm surprised it's changed so little over the years, to be honest. We must have done a good job. Or no-one cares. Or both.

If you are every auditing an ISO 9001 company, everything at rev.1 is a strong indication that they are not really following their documents.

Reply #8

If you are every auditing an ISO 9001 company, everything at rev.1 is a strong indication that they are not really following their documents.

Sadly I do ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 as my day job. Not my entire day job, of course. I'm not that sad.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #9
We're at about rev 2.2, so I guess that's a good thing then.