Topic: Animal communication (Read 275 times) previous topic - next topic

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Animal communication

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: Animal communication
Reply #1
"It's also possible that your horse has given up in communicating with you, because you never listen,"
Possibly the case with other species.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #2
Well, maybe if my dog would tell me how the muscles of his front leg are innervated, I'd actually fucking listen, but all he cares about is cat poop, peanut butter, and squeaky balls. :colbert:

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #3
Seems like he's communicated a few things important to him then. :parrot:

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #4
If I were a horse the first thing I'd probably want to communicate to the average primate would be "Yo, how about shutting the fuck up once in a while".
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #5
Anyway, the study is interesting. I thought it was odd that they say it's only been proven in the dog because I'd have thought it's been proven that cats can communicate in this way, too. My ladycat will meow at me until I follow her into the bathroom, where she climbs up onto the counter so I can turn on the faucet for her highness to have a bit of fresh running water.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #6
Maybe cats are harder to observe?

My current 10 year old cat uses different communication behaviours with my husband or me. He'll meow for me to let him out, he stares at mr.b until he's let out. He comes looking for me when he wants to be fed, and escalates communication - first it's rubbing around my legs and heading for the kitchen; if I don't comply he comes back and claws at the carpet; if that doesn't work he returns and drives exactly one claw into my knee.

Reply #7
Yeah, my cat and dog both communicate very effectively both with me and between each other. It seems odd that cats wouldn't be a gimme on this one.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #8
"It's also possible that your horse has given up in communicating with you, because you never listen,"
Possibly the case with other species.
I sometimes do that with humans.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #9
Anyway, the study is interesting. I thought it was odd that they say it's only been proven in the dog because I'd have thought it's been proven that cats can communicate in this way, too. My ladycat will meow at me until I follow her into the bathroom, where she climbs up onto the counter so I can turn on the faucet for her highness to have a bit of fresh running water.
Old cat I used to have pulled a good stunt one day.

I had laid a fire earlier, but not lit it since it wasn't cold enough at the time. The stove's glass door was open (ie: horizontal). I was working on the computer and heard a normal Benny questioning meow. I look around and he's standing on the stove door. He looked at me, then turned and looked very intently at the laid fire, then looked back at me and gave a very loud and staccato MEOW!

Naturally, I obeyed. Once I'd stopped laughing.

He only did this once, spontaneously. Never before or after.
Truth is out of style

• Doobie Keebler
  • Ridiculous Callipygous
Reply #10

One of our cats figured out if he knocked the plastic cup out of the built in soap dish into the bathroom sink it would rattle around loudly enough to summon a human to turn the water on for him. If it didn't work the first time he'd bat it around inside the sink every thirty seconds or so until someone did.  He was quite spoiled.
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• Peez
Reply #11

Peez