Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Literally so horrible that you have to join forces with child rapists to stop it.

Topic: Game of Thrones Season 7 (Read 1606 times) previous topic - next topic

• Faid
Re: Game of Thrones Season 7
Reply #50
I did it because I couldn't help myself.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #51
I gotta admit that the leaked stuff looked more like glorified fan fiction to me. But then I realized that, ever since season 6, Game of Thrones essentially is fan fiction. Author-approved, but still.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #52
Yeah the show is a complete mess at this point

• Faid
Reply #53
Well I still like it. Of course, I'll also read Winds of Winter when Hell freezes over and it's published. I suspect it's gonna be quite different from the series, which will make reading it more interesting- like an alternate reality.

• ksen
Reply #54
Because I'm watching it for the character development, not for the "omg revealssss"

I do that with basically all longform TV series. I tend to enjoy it more that way.
Character development ended when D&D ran out of book material to crib from.

Reply #55
It's just starting to turn into a "gotta watch it because I've invested 6+ seasons already" for me, sorta like how Lost was at it kept going and getting dumber and dumber.

ASOIAF was always really good with turning fantasy tropes on their head, and GoT was good about that for a while, too (while they were following books). Now it's turned into campy stereotypical fantasy stuff and fan service. The group heading north of the wall might as well have been the Fellowship from LoTR. Why am I supposed to give a shit about Gendry, and why does he have a Warcraft-looking warhammer instead of something actually realistic and reasonable? Why was what is basically "a big crossbow" supposed to be some sort of dragon-stopper? Everyone has plot armor except the characters they're telegraphing "they die" for (Jorah, the coin).

• ksen
Reply #56
It's just starting to turn into a "gotta watch it because I've invested 6+ seasons already" for me, sorta like how Lost was at it kept going and getting dumber and dumber.
That's pretty much where I'm at as well right now. I've watched it for 6 seasons so I'm on this trip until the end. I still enjoy parts of the show but right now it's GoT filler until George finishes the series.

Reply #57
Because I'm watching it for the character development, not for the "omg revealssss"

I do that with basically all longform TV series. I tend to enjoy it more that way.
Character development ended when D&D ran out of book material to crib from.

Nah, I disagree. I think there are some great scenes with great acting. I think the bigger problem is that Martin set up a bunch of storylines that weren't important and the writers struggled to incorporate as many as possible only to realize that those storylines were bloat....after they were introduced.

Reply #58
You're crazy, the show is still awesome.

Reply #59
Anyways, the shittiness and contriveness of the endgame at this point is probably the story framework that Martin gave them, not the quality of their writing. In fact, I suspect that the reason Martin is taking so long to finish Winds is because he realizes his story sucks and had to scrap a lot of it.

Reply #60
You're crazy, the show is still awesome.

Agreedo. I went back and watched season 1 and TBH there is no decrease in quality.

Reply #61
one thing that's really been annoying me is how everyone apparently discovered teleportation. whole armies and fleets move across the continent in what seems like a matter of days. jon's been across the whole continent several times and managed to set up rule in winterfell

meanwhile it's taken the Night King this entire time to go 1/50th the distance from hardhomme to the wall?

and how the fuck did Bronn and Jamie 1) not drown while falling into the water at the end of a long battle that already would have drained them while wearing probably 50 pounds of armor and 2) get away with none of the huge Dothraki army or anyone else seeing them?

Reply #62
sorry guys the writing has gotten extremely bad

Reply #63
also why the fuck has no one ever heard of a dock for a boat in this season? why are they pulling rowboats on shore at Dragon Stone argehhhhhhhhhhh

Reply #64
They have never been good at conveying the passage of time between episodes and distances travelled.

Reply #65
I know, but it's only gotten worse and it isn't even at all, e.g. some groups/people take much, much longer to travel similar distances

why was this master smuggler traveling to KL in the middle of the day, too? wtf? such awful writing god damn it

*eagerly awaits watching the next episode*

• ksen
Reply #66
With the passage of time needed for Jon and co. to travel to Eastwatch anyone want to place a bet on whether or not the writers will have Cersei fat with child next time we see her?

If she even is pregnant and it wasn't just a way to troll Jaime to remain loyal to her.

Honestly I think it's the butchering of Jaime's character that has me most upset about the show.

Euron's magical fleet is a close second.

I do enjoy the fan service-y bits because I'm a fan. I cheered Arya poisoning off the remaining Freys, I got a few chills watching Drogon recognize Jon's real bloodline. I'm also looking forward to Bran's full power becoming revealed and the raid on the Night King that will probably happen next week. And who isn't hyped for Clegane Bowl?

However I'm not taking any of these things as canon until Martin confirms them in his books. They're just fun sideshows until the real thing shows up.

Reply #67
I'm rooting for the NK at this point.

• ksen
Reply #68
I saw a thumbnail for youtube vid that tries to make the case that Dany ends up being the Night Queen after all is said and done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAfqLHPwYLA

I haven't actually watched the video yet though.

Reply #69
The things you're complaining about really are a function of the worldbuilding and storyline that Martin set up in the first place, not the show writing. The show has to manage to stick in all these events and still have time for plot. I totally appreciate that they're scrapping explanation for plot; that actually happened in the first few seasons too. Meanwhile, there has been some fucking great writing this season.

• ksen
Reply #70
Meanwhile, there has been some fucking great writing this season.
I don't think anyone's arguing there hasn't been some good writing this season. But that doesn't change the fact that there's also been some really horrendous writing. Sometimes I'm left scratching my head and wondering if the writer's ever remember things they've written in past episodes because quite a few times it seems they don't, i.e. Sand Sneks coating their weapons with poison so Euron doesn't die after getting wounded with one.

Reply #71
also why the fuck has no one ever heard of a dock for a boat in this season? why are they pulling rowboats on shore at Dragon Stone argehhhhhhhhhhh

dude even today sailboats aren't kept at shore in many harbors, and you still need to take a motorboat out to them.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #72

ASOIAF was always really good with turning fantasy tropes on their head, and GoT was good about that for a while, too (while they were following books). Now it's turned into campy stereotypical fantasy stuff and fan service. The group heading north of the wall might as well have been the Fellowship from LoTR. Why am I supposed to give a shit about Gendry, and why does he have a Warcraft-looking warhammer instead of something actually realistic and reasonable? Why was what is basically "a big crossbow" supposed to be some sort of dragon-stopper? Everyone has plot armor except the characters they're telegraphing "they die" for (Jorah, the coin).

Seven Samurai trope for me.

Reply #73
Meanwhile, there has been some fucking great writing this season.
I don't think anyone's arguing there hasn't been some good writing this season. But that doesn't change the fact that there's also been some really horrendous writing. Sometimes I'm left scratching my head and wondering if the writer's ever remember things they've written in past episodes because quite a few times it seems they don't, i.e. Sand Sneks coating their weapons with poison so Euron doesn't die after getting wounded with one.

This sounds like angry redditor fantheories that fans expect the writers to adhere to, instead of plot holes or bad writing. It makes sense that assassins who are traveling might not have prepared their blades with poison whereas in other situations they might have.

• ksen
Reply #74
eta: and Cersei blew up the fucking Great Sept of Baelor. The seat of the official religion of the entire seven kingdoms. But a couple of episodes later she's getting cheered by the lords and ladies of King's Landing and there's been no popular uprising for burning a giant chunk of the city with wildfire. The same stuff Jaime killed the last Targaryen king for just threatening to use.