Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: if anyone on this site uses comic sans i will fucking murder them, is that perfectly clear, jb?

Topic: Total Knee Replacement (Read 718 times) previous topic - next topic

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Total Knee Replacement
Starting in 2010, I began to have serious and increasing pain in my knees, primarily the left one but both contributed. It was intermittent but but gradually became more and more chronic. By 2012, it was a regular drag on my life. However, being the determined twit I sometimes am, I carried on. Fortunately I lost my courier job in July of 2013 so wasn't continually stressing the knees. As time passed, the situation got steadily worse. By two years ago I had to curtail beach and trail walks, was always on the lookout for places to sit and consumed a lot of OTC pain medications, most of which had little to no effect. In 2014, with ObamaCare, I entered into a campaign to diagnose and treat the problem.

Initially, my PCP was in charge, unfortunately under most insurance systems, the patient has little to no choice in their PCP. In the past two years I've had 9 different persons and two of those I never met because they were assigned to me and then gone before I needed any care. The initial program was to treat my knees with Steroid injections which could only be used every 4 months. These were nominally effective. Some rounds helped quite a bit, others did next to nothing. Overall, they all ran out before I could get the next round.

At this point, I was referred to an Orthopedist. Her staff evaluated me and determined I was a candidate for knee replacement, initially partial compartment but over the ensuing year, that escalated to Total Replacement. I was told to lose weight, about 30#, and get my PCP's clearance for surgery. In the meantime she started a program of Euflexxa injections as a possible alternate, since I needed something anyway to keep sane and it might have eliminated the need for surgery, which she assured me I really didn't want to do unless it was the only possible solution. 

I started working on both issues. Initially, losing the weight did not go very well. It was when I got the full report back on the surgery clearance that I got both the information I needed and more impetus to use it. All was good except I was pre-diabetic (AC1 = 6.0, Blood Sugar = 120 to 140 after 8 hours fast). and there was an issue with my heart. For the former, I undertook a massive change in my diet (exercise was not possible given the pain in my knees). I switched to a very low calorie very low carbohydrate diet and lost the weight and got my AC1 down to 5.2 and my daily Blood Sugar down into the 80s and 90s. For the latter, I was referred to a Cardiologist who did a regular EKG and then based upon that did an EchoCardioGram. Based upon the last, he cleared me for surgery, said my heart wasn't that of a 20 year old athlete but within normal range for my age, 60s.

The orthopedist scheduled me for surgery and I reported to the hospital on Nov 7. I had, on the recommendation of both the orthopedist and the anesthesiologist, opted for a Spinal Block and sedative rather than the full gas anesthesia, shorter recovery time and much lower risk of complications. In the meantime I had done a lot of research, eventually having extended conversations with about two dozen who had undergone the procedure. All of them recommended going for one at a time, all but one had done so. The one gal that had done both knees simultaneously said the only advantage was when it was over, she didn't have to go back and do the other one and she's not sure she could have done so. It's a very painful and disruptive procedure. I got estimated of the pain ranging from horribly excruciating to unbearably awful. Thanks folks. And for the length of recovery, estimates ranged from 6 to 13 weeks. The 6 week recovery was by a single young athlete, most of the reports were in the 10 to 12 week range with two at 13 weeks. However, everyone agreed it was one of the best things they'd ever done.

So, thus buoyed, I reported for surgery on November 7. I had taken a thorough shower the night before and wiped down with chlorhexidine. Donned freshly washed PJs and got into freshly washed sheets. At the hospital, I did another full wipe down with the chlorhexadine. Donned the special climate controlled gown and was taken to surgery. There the anesthesiologist administered and checked the spinal block and then gave me a sedative. Lights out.

Came to in my room. to be greeted by my daughter and the Girl. I was still under the influence of the spinal and sedative and they had started me on the demand pump IV for morphine. So, initially I wasn't in any pain. Unfortunately I didn't avail myself of the pump as much as I should have and so fell behind the curve until two days later. That was no good.

My daughter had made arrangements for me to stay with here. She's a PT so had the relevant medical experience. Plus her house is large and comfy and the ground floor where I'd be staying had it's own guest bath. And I had my grandkids to take care of me as well.

I would have preferred to stay with the Girl but her house is tiny and two story with the bedrooms on the second floor along with the only full bath. And we are still in the midst of an extensive remodel.

So it worked out for my daughter as I could watch the grandkids when they weren't in school. Even though there's not much I could do if something when awry, I could call 911 as well as keep the kids in line.

So, no more pump, I miss that a lot. But the surgeon has been kind and provided me with acceptable levels of pain meds. I'm getting full PT here at home (daughter can't, officially, due to ethics) and I'm making progress. It's been very painful. The incision is gruesome . It's hard to get around or do most anything. That's all complicated by the right knee acutely needing it's own procedure and now I'm having to shift the load to it. It's not happy with that role and lets me know in no uncertain terms it's unhappy. My primary directive, other than doing my exercises is to not fall down. So far I've been a perfect student.

At least I will know what to expect when I do the other knee. As it was, I had only the reports of others to go on. I was very apprehensive prior to the surgery. Now I have a much better idea of what's involved. Mostly it's not the least bit fun but I will survive it.

Are we there yet?

Re: Total Knee Replacement
Reply #1
Good luck. Let me know how it goes because I am in the injections and pt phase of that process. I have decided that I am going to power through it as long as possible and being a little fanatical about the doing my pt. I had gained about 15 lbs since it got too painful to ride my bike and I started taking the train to work. I think that weight plus the reduction in exercise was making it worse.

I get violently ill from most pain pills so I was taking way too much advil. Now I am taking naproxen and doing a lot of pt but the weight is hanging on. I'm 6' 2" and at least was in good shape so it isn't something terrible, although I am well and truly out of my 34 waist pants now. But all the people I know who've had the surgery (which is 3) had real problems afterward because they weren't in super good shape when they had it done so rebuilding was more difficult. At least, that's my superstitious model. In all 3 cases, it took about 6 months before they were using it normally, but like I said, none of them were in great shape when they did it.

I can take Dilaudid but it gives me terrible itches all over. That's one thing that worries me.

Anyway, that's my story. I do hope you recover quickly and I'll be interested to hear about your recovery. I think Raven had it done a year or two ago.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #2
I need a 2nd arthroscopic surgery on my left knee (torn meniscus).  I've been putting it off for a bout a year, but my exercise has gone way down, so the weight has gone up.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #3
I'm a happy owner of a bionic knee.  The first 2-3 weeks are the worst, then things start to incrementally and almost unnoticably improve.  I think the best thing about PT is actually the metrics.  If you work at it, you'll see improvements every time you check your degrees of flexion, and you'll definitely notice when you can move a stationary bike pedal through a complete revolution without screaming.

I'm very happy I finally had the surgery.  My right knee will also eventually require surgery, but now that it's not my "good" knee that day has receded into the indeterminate future.

One thing I still have to deal with is the after effects of favoring my left knee for years.  Hips are tweaked, and I have occasional lower back pain on the right side.  I had a hellacious bout of sciatica a little over a year ago.  I wish I had known to focus on unkinking all the muscles that had spent so long trying to protect the left knee via PT in the months after my surgery.

Reply #4
My meniscus surgery was super easy. It hurt less as soon as I woke up from the anesthetic. The post surgery pain was way less than the meniscus pain.

Reply #5
I'm a happy owner of a bionic knee.  The first 2-3 weeks are the worst, then things start to incrementally and almost unnoticably improve.  I think the best thing about PT is actually the metrics.  If you work at it, you'll see improvements every time you check your degrees of flexion, and you'll definitely notice when you can move a stationary bike pedal through a complete revolution without screaming.

I'm very happy I finally had the surgery.  My right knee will also eventually require surgery, but now that it's not my "good" knee that day has receded into the indeterminate future.

One thing I still have to deal with is the after effects of favoring my left knee for years.  Hips are tweaked, and I have occasional lower back pain on the right side.  I had a hellacious bout of sciatica a little over a year ago.  I wish I had known to focus on unkinking all the muscles that had spent so long trying to protect the left knee via PT in the months after my surgery.
I had Sciatica too! It's almost like we're siblings or something. I thought suicide was the only option but after 2 weeks of pt I could tie my shoes and after 4 weeks it almost totally disappeared. I couldn't believe I lived 3 months like that. That was the experience that turned me on to the amazing power of pt. Now, if someone even suggests that there is a possibility of a pt solution to any ailment, I am down at the pt getting my new exercises. Because of that, I now have a spin cycle in my dining room and a large contraption for doing pull ups and various core exercises on my back porch. I spend about an hour a day doing all that because getting old.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #6
I've done PT and chiropractic treatments for lower back pain.  I found an inversion table works amazingly well also.

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #7
How long do these things last for, it sounds awful  :ohdear:

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #8
Good luck. Let me know how it goes because I am in the injections and pt phase of that process. I have decided that I am going to power through it as long as possible and being a little fanatical about the doing my pt. I had gained about 15 lbs since it got too painful to ride my bike and I started taking the train to work. I think that weight plus the reduction in exercise was making it worse.

I get violently ill from most pain pills so I was taking way too much advil. Now I am taking naproxen and doing a lot of pt but the weight is hanging on. I'm 6' 2" and at least was in good shape so it isn't something terrible, although I am well and truly out of my 34 waist pants now. But all the people I know who've had the surgery (which is 3) had real problems afterward because they weren't in super good shape when they had it done so rebuilding was more difficult. At least, that's my superstitious model. In all 3 cases, it took about 6 months before they were using it normally, but like I said, none of them were in great shape when they did it.

I can take Dilaudid but it gives me terrible itches all over. That's one thing that worries me.

Anyway, that's my story. I do hope you recover quickly and I'll be interested to hear about your recovery. I think Raven had it done a year or two ago.
So far, it's going according to plan. Lots of pain. Seriously decreased mobility. And yeah, the pain meds often cause horrible itching. I'd like to get one of those cow scratchers, has a rotating brush. Cow steps on the pad below and the brush rotates.

I've done a lot of painful things, and this isn't the worst, not even close. But it is bad.

Key principles, don't fall down. Don't over medicate. Don't self-medicate. Don't reach to far. Nice and slow and easy. But keep at it. Fortunately I have my daughter whose is merciless when it comes to PT. And she's backed up by the Girl. Finally, my brother, former USAF Colonel has said he'd come out and make sure I do the work.
Are we there yet?

Reply #9
You will be a success story then. That cheers me up. And you too, Raven. Thanks to both of you.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #10
How long do these things last for, it sounds awful  :ohdear:
I got titanium, it's supposed to last longer than the bones it's glued into. When I needled the doctor enough, she said 20 years, maybe more. Depends on how you treat the joint. If you subject it to a lot of shock stress and out-of-plane/axis bending, it's not going to last as long. If you're careful and keep up the exercises, it will last longer.

And, yeah, it is awful. Incision is about 7" long, right down the middle of the knee. Then they push whatever they can to the side, muscles, blood vessels, nerves, ligaments, tendons, everything. The kit comes with a set of test parts as to what the final shape of the bones will be. So they grind away until the fit is perfect, no gaps, no high spots, perfect. Then they slop on the glue and put the pieces in in place and somehow hold them there.

Put everything back the way it was, well, mostly. There's one nerve that has to be cut and it generally doesn't grow back, so you end up with a numb spot on the outside that's about the size of a silver dollar. Not really a problem. However, the new joint is longer than the original, so you get a tad taller.

My doc told me at discharge that if I had any second thoughts, I should dispel them immediately, that knee was totally done. Had I waited much longer it might not have been possible or they have to use a different joint which is much harder to install and much more intrusive.

I get the 32 staples out next Tuesday and we'll see what the doc thinks about it at that time. She's definitely not a warm cuddly type, but had really high ratings on the results. I don't need cuddling, just a working knee.

Are we there yet?

Reply #11
Surgeons technique far outweighs their bedside manner in matters of importance.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #12
Agree.  If you can get the surgeon that the hospital staff rave about, that's a good sign.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #13

Absolutely. Fortunately, I had an advantage. My daughter used to work at that facility and still works for the company. She has many former co-workers still at the facility. As PTs, they're supposed to fix the surgeon's mistakes. My daughter inquired with her former co-workers and they inquired with other PTs, nurses, aides, etc. The rating was pretty much unanimous, positive.

So far, I'm happy with the results but more importantly, my daughter and the actual PTs and nurses and aides, etc, all say it looks good.

If you have any reasonable option, take it. With very few exceptions, you can always opt in for the surgery.

But you never know until the fat boy hollers. I haven't yet but ... ...
Are we there yet?

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #14

I had Sciatica too! It's almost like we're siblings or something. I thought suicide was the only option but after 2 weeks of pt I could tie my shoes and after 4 weeks it almost totally disappeared. I couldn't believe I lived 3 months like that. That was the experience that turned me on to the amazing power of pt. Now, if someone even suggests that there is a possibility of a pt solution to any ailment, I am down at the pt getting my new exercises. Because of that, I now have a spin cycle in my dining room and a large contraption for doing pull ups and various core exercises on my back porch. I spend about an hour a day doing all that because getting old.
I too had sciatica dating back to a groin pull from ballet waaaaaaay back in the late 80s. Had no idea that subtle alterations I had made to accommodate that would persist for so long and to such effect. Anyway, PT is wonderful and I have been back pain free for several years now.

RAFH hope the knee is feeling better in short order! E. you too Testy!

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #15

I too had sciatica dating back to a groin pull from ballet waaaaaaay back in the late 80s. Had no idea that subtle alterations I had made to accommodate that would persist for so long and to such effect. Anyway, PT is wonderful and I have been back pain free for several years now.

RAFH hope the knee is feeling better in short order! E. you too Testy!
Thanks, the sooner this one is somewhat back to normal, the sooner I can get the other one done. And the sooner the whole affair will be over. At least the second time around I'll know what to expect. This first one there was a lot of needless anxiety which probably was responsible for the high BP readings going in and, in turn, made me uptight which likely intensified the pain and anxiety driving a feedback loop.
Are we there yet?

Reply #16
Sounds painful; Good Luck man. :)

• Old Dan
Reply #17

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #18

Yah, I could see that having a somewhat chilling effect on one's adventuristic tendencies.

Or a serious increase in the consumption of narcotics and alcohol.
Are we there yet?

Reply #19
I drank like 3 drinks a night for the first week after the election and I have been suffering for days from it. When Raven went and ruined wild turkey for me and I realized I had a half gallon almost, I figured I'd try to get rid of it quicker so I wouldn't be reminded of Trump. Mistake it turns out.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #20
My original prescription was for 2 x 5mg at 4 hours and between the lasting effects of the pain medfg much other than getting up to use the toilet. With PT starting on Monday, that was definitely no longer true and my surgeon increased the dosage to 3 x 5mg @ 4 hours, which initially seemed good. And as long as I'm not doing much it is, but it's not been handling the PT work. I have been unable to finish the PT exercises even, and most importantly, the stretching ones to get my extension to 0 degrees. It is improving, I've gone from about 20 down to about 10, but this one is critical and if I don't get it quickly, I may not get it ever. It's important as that's what allows one to "lock" their knees and stand for extended periods of time. Prior to the surgery I was only able to stand for maybe 3 to 5 minutes. With the surgery, that's down to less than a minute before excruciating pain sets in.

One problem with what is called "break through" pain is it puts one behind the curve and it becomes increasingly difficult to catch up with the pain meds. They are always much more effective when they are ahead of the curve. So after yesterday's PT visit, I've put in a request for some sort of "break through" pain relief, if such is possible. This is with the PT's support. They need me to be able to do the exercises and I need the exercises in order to make the surgery successful.

I'm also anxious with the incoming administration. I'm on ObamaCare and I suspect that's going to be a major target for Trump and Company. It will take them some time to dismantle things so I'm on a schedule, a tight one, to get the other knee done. At best, I figure that could happen maybe in February. Cutting it really close.
Are we there yet?

Reply #21
Good luck, and get well soon.
Why do I bother?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #22
Thanks,

Best wishes none of you have to experience this. Sorry Testy.
Are we there yet?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #23
Hope your doctor is able to make a prescription change that helps with the break-through pain.  From what I remember, my PTs were concerned about a 3 month window for me to get back 120 through 0 degrees range of motion.  That was way more time than I needed.  I hit that mark somewhere between five and six weeks iirc.

Reply #24
Thanks,

Best wishes none of you have to experience this. Sorry Testy.
Ima hold off as long as I can.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #25
Yay! I got the staples out today. What a relief. I was anxious about doing so, but it was only minor pain and almost instantly my knee and surrounding areas felt way better.

On the other hand, I started PT last week and that's been a mixed bag. Making good progress, at least as indicated by range of motion. Before the surgery I was like 10 to 15 degrees in extension (measured from 0 being straight out) and 85 to 95 in flexure (again from 0 being straight out). The surgeon said when they were done with the procedure they could get from 0 to 135, which is the goal.
First measurements starting PT I was at 20 and 90. Not good but not too bad for that soon after surgery and with still a lot of swelling. Last Friday it was 10 and 95. But I also apparently hurt myself last Friday when the toilet overflowed (it didn't have anything in it but water but two flushes before it did, I guess the line down a ways is jammed) and I sort of freaked a bit and may have done something I should not have. I don't remember any specific sharp pains and I didn't trip or fall or bang or twist my ankle but I must have done something. Fortunately the PT showed up right then and helped me clean up (actually did it all). I didn't have any pain or swelling right then but next morning my ankle was very sore, stiff and swollen. It's remained that way.
Meanwhile, Monday, the measurements were 5 and 105, which is good.
The surgeon checked out my ankle and said it looks like a sprain or strain and should with keeping it elevated and regularly icing clear up in a couple more days. I've had that foot raised up about 6" to 8" above my heart all day.
I see the PT tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see what progress I've made.

My daughter asked the surgeon how soon I could get the other knee done. The surgeon looked at her like she was crazy and then looked at me for confirmation. I repeated the question and she took a moment to reassess. Then proceeded to tell us most people want to wait a few months to often up to a year. I said I would rather get it over and done with as soon as possible. Her decision, of course, but as soon as possible. She just shook her head and sort of chuckled. I said I wasn't looking forward to doing the other knee, it's unquestionably a very unpleasant procedure, but that I was looking forward to being done with it.

So, we'll see.
Are we there yet?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #26
I'm still not sure why getting both done at the same time wouldn't have been the better option?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #27
I'm still not sure why getting both done at the same time wouldn't have been the better option?
Well, one thing is then you are relegated to a wheelchair or bed for a long time. With both legs out of action, recovery takes a lot longer, though in terms of overall time, might be a bit less. Much of the PT is not possible as soon and often has to wait way longer than is effective for the bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles and nerves. I don't know. The longer one waits the less one will get back.
Another is this really is a very painful surgery. doubling the pain all at once could well be detrimental. They split the knee open and then shove everything including some very large muscles to the side. then the cut & grind the bottom of the femur and the top of the Tibia to fit the titanium implants, that includes a deep hole straight both up & down. when the fit, all the parts get put in place with glue and then they put it back the was it was.
I talked with perhaps two dozen people who had had it done. All of them recommended doing it one at a time including the one that did the double. I also talked it over with both my daughter & son-in-law, who are both PTs and have a lot of experience with knee replacements. Both recommended against doing a double. So did my surgeon as well as several other doctors.

Are we there yet?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #28
Ok, hard to go against all those recomendations

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #29
Ok, hard to go against all those recomendations
Yeah, and now having going through the one side, I'd have to agree. It was very painful the first week or so. While at the hospital I was on the morphine drip as often as I could push the button. I did manage to catch up a couple of times but it took very little to put me back behind the curve. I can not imagine trying to get around with both knees having been done. I simply can't see how one would do it. I mean, you can't weight bear on either leg. And much of the PT tends to rely on one leg being somewhat operational.

That said, my PT is of the opinion that a double would be preferable. She says she's treated several patients that have gone that route and she feels they recuperate better, her reasoning is they have to. They can't rely on the other leg to get them through. I'm skeptical. I've been through a lot of traumatic events and have experienced a lot of pain, pain most people can't even imagine - ie 12,000 volts that burned 9 cubic inches out of my chest leaving open wounds for 6 months and left an open wound on my dick about a third of the circumference and 2/3 the length for that same period. I was in a pain management program for 10 years based upon methadone, and then withdrew without medical intervention. The withdrawal was horrible. I can't really describe it accurately, other than it was horrible. There's been other stuff. In any case, I am very familiar with pain. And, yeah, everyone experiences it differently. Some folks can bear a lot more, some can't bear much at all. But there's a big difference between how much pain one can bear when it's inflicted regardless of what one does or chooses and the level of pain they will choose to inflict on themselves, when at nearly any time they can choose to not do so. Given my experience so far, had I know what it would actually be like prior to making the decision, I would not have opted for the double. The single was quite enough, more than enough. Way more.

That's not to say there's not some folks that would opt for it and get along quite well. Just that I'm certainly not one of those folks.

At the same time, I'm already chomping at the bit to do the other knee. It's not that I like pain or am looking forward to it. It's that knee is eventually, and sooner than later, going to have to have it done. I'd rather it got done sooner. Until it does, I'm going to be in severe pain anyway, so the sooner I do get it done, the less pain I will have to endure and the sooner I can resume a normal sort of life. Like walking in the beach with my girlfriend.
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #30
Saw my surgeon on the 20th. X-rays and examination says things are going well. Except it still hurts a lot at times. PT says that's a sign it's healing. And, of course, the right knee continues to deteriorate.
However, I'm scheduled for the right knee on February 27. Was hoping for sooner but the surgeon's schedule was full up. I am #1 on the waiting list should somebody back out or die.
I am down to 0 on extension and up to about 110, maybe 115 on flexion. But I need to work on strength.
Actually I am not in as much pain. I am taking less and less pain meds, primarily aspirin. Occasionally some oxycodone. And doing more.
Are we there yet?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #31
It sounds like your recovery is going great!

Strength will come with activity and exercise, but some judicious weight-bearing exercises speed it up.  I expect your PTs are working with you on it.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #32
It sounds like your recovery is going great!

Strength will come with activity and exercise, but some judicious weight-bearing exercises speed it up.  I expect your PTs are working with you on it.
I continue to believe my loving daughter would not intentionally torture me, but there are times when my conviction in that belief is not as strong as other times.

I can bear weight reasonably well, I get up the stairs stepping normally. On the other hand, I'm damned glad there's not another flight. 
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #33
Tomorrow, it's my hope to take our new kitty for a walk. Or let her take me for one. Nicky is a 1.5 year old Maine Coon mix. Came to us quite circuitously. Supposed to be a friend for the Girl's mom. But that's not actually happening, for a variety of reasons nobody seems to be willing to vocalize.

OK by me. I like the cat. She's quiet, sweet, affectionate, smart, respectful, gentle, playful, etc. She learns stuff quickly. Not so big for her age, but apparently she's got another 2 to 3 years before reaching maturity.

She's been restricted to our room, mostly because the queen of the house, Tora, is a very large and very territorial cat with serious street skills. As a kitten, she had to push past a pit bull to eat. The rest of her family were euthanized. I like her, but I also respect her. She's mellowed a lot since I've been around, maybe because I am nice to her and pay attention and demand she be civil, at least to me. But she's also been known to take people's feet off.

Anyway, Nicky was original obtained to be a pet for a very young girl. Girl turns out to have serious allergies to cat dander. So, we became her new people. Just tried a harness on her today. So far she's not having a problem with it. I don't like the idea but she's got no street skills whatsoever and leaving her out around here would be not be a good idea.

So, tomorrow, we try out the beach. Well, the beach park. Big lawn. Creek. Away from traffic and noise. But if she likes it and my knees don't freak, maybe we'll see what she thinks of the beach itself that is right adjacent. It will be interesting. Fortunately, she is good with being in my Odyssey. Not overly happy about it at first but quickly gets interested in all that's going on. Sits on my shoulder and helps me drive.

Are we there yet?

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #34
pic of Nicky?  :)

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #35
Here's some pictures of Tinker (name change):
Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #36
She weighs about 11# and is about 30" long. She has another 1.5 to 3.5 years before she reaches maturity.

Are we there yet?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #37
Meanwhile, I've been back to the hospital to have the right knee done. Went in early (5:30am) last Monday and got out about 5pm on Wednesday. Back to my daughter's place and I'm pretty much settled in. In a lot of pain but have good drugs for that. Very little blood bruising and almost no swelling. Which is good. Still, lots and lots of pain. The criteria for getting out was getting off the morphine drip on demand for at least 6 hours, piss on my own after they remove the catheter and be able to walk (with the walker) at least 50 yards.

So far, I think this one is going better than the other one. For one thing, I have a fully functional knee on the other leg whereas before I had a fully dysfunctional knee on the other leg. And I know what to expect and what to do.

My big worry now is I'm constipated from all the opiates. I'm working on that issue. Various stool softeners, lots of laxatives  (primarily dried prunes, but so far no results.

Hopefully I'll be back home by April and pretty much recovered by May.
Are we there yet?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #38
Whew.  You're doing the right things for constipation.  Your alimentary canal will right itself in a bit.

In talking to other patients who had 2 knee replacements back-to-back when I was recovering from my one measly surgery, the second replacement recovery did go better.

• MikeS
Reply #39
More lap time for Tinker.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #40
More lap time for Tinker.
We attempted a visit by Tinker, last Sunday before the surgery. It'd be nice to have her company plus my daughter's cat is seriously lonely because her playmate, an old scrappy male, passed away. So she, Sparkle, wanders the house crying out for him. Anyway, it did not work out well. Tinker wasn't real happy about the ride down but she tolerates it. Trying to get her used to traveling in the car. She complains for the first five minutes or so then just sits on my shoulder and watches the world go by. The big issue is my daughter's pups, not sure what they are, fairly big but slender, long silky hair. Very high energy and very enthusiastic in displaying it. When let in it's pandemonium. The male can easily clear 6' from a standing position, it's like he's on springs. His mom is only slightly less active. Anyway, some miscommunication regarding the status of the pups and we entered while they were still in the house. Which meant they absolutely had to meet this new person. With them jumping up and all over me, she naturally freaked and escaped my hold and found a place to hide while the pups were being escorted out the back door. No damage done except to me, lots of serious scratches on my back and shoulder and the shirt I was wearing was destroyed. $1 shirt from Value Village, no loss.

Sparkle was finally encouraged to come down and meet Tinker but Sparkle was having none of it. I think Tinker was probably the third other cat she'd ever met and she is high strung. Sparkle was the second other cat Tinker's ever met and I doubt she's been exposed to any dogs, certainly not any such high strung, highly enthusiastic and energetic dogs like these. They're good dogs, just a bit too much. So some growling and hissing and the two cats went their separate ways. We were there about 2 hours and Tinker was glad to leave. She complained for about 1 minute and then was on my shoulder her face right next to mine.

So I don't think we'll go for a retry. Better I ride with my daughter up to the Girl's house, get dropped off and then a few hours later picked up and brought back. I'll get some time in with both Tinker and the Girl. Best of all, Tinker bore me no ill will. We played and cuddled the rest of the day and through the night as though nothing had happened.

Got through my PT Eval this morning, and I'm going to get the PTA I like, lives close by and is good friends with my daughter.
Are we there yet?

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #41
glad you came out ok both times.

my MIL had her hip replaced last year.  I was shocked to learn they had her taking a few steps the same day, and walking around the block by the end of the week.  but apparently it is better for healing and rehabilitation if you get to walking right away.  that way, all the various tissues don't "heal wrong"....or something?

if the same principle applies to knee replacements, maybe one reason doing one at a time is better is that you can then use the "good" one to assist in walking on the one that just got operated on.  if you do both at the same time, walking might not be possible.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #42

my MIL had her hip replaced last year.  I was shocked to learn they had her taking a few steps the same day, and walking around the block by the end of the week.  but apparently it is better for healing and rehabilitation if you get to walking right away.  that way, all the various tissues don't "heal wrong"....or something?

if the same principle applies to knee replacements, maybe one reason doing one at a time is better is that you can then use the "good" one to assist in walking on the one that just got operated on.  if you do both at the same time, walking might not be possible.

Apparently that's the trend nowadays. Get the victim up and moving as soon as possible.

Personally, I don't see how someone could do both knees simultaneously. But there are cases of such and apparently most of those that chose it were satisfied. 
Are we there yet?

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #43
How are you doing, RAFH?

• Faid
Reply #44

Apparently that's the trend nowadays. Get the victim up and moving as soon as possible.

Personally, I don't see how someone could do both knees simultaneously. But there are cases of such and apparently most of those that chose it were satisfied. 
I used to be in favor of it. I have seen many bilateral knee replacements work out great. But If something goes wrong, it REALLY goes wrong. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I don't feel that comfortable with it anymore.

But yeah, early movement is extremely important. Life is movement, movement is life, my chief consultant would say.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #45
How are you doing, RAFH?
Doing.
Getting better all the time.
Though at times it's difficult to tell.
Left knee, the first one they did, is doing good. A little pain or weakness from time to time but generally good. Which is a huge improvement over having the "other knee" being in as much pain and as little use as the one being fixed.
The one being fixed now, the right knee, is hurting. 2 x 5mg Oxy @ 4" hours just breaks the edge.
The Girl and I played a bit of a trick on my daughter. Daughter works up near where we live, so I'd have a ride up that way in the morning and back again in the afternoon. Little to no extra driving gets me and the Girl a visit. But I planned it so I'd end up staying overnight and ride back with my daughter the next day. A much longer visit. Didn't do much, just hung out and played with Tinker, slept some, talked. It was great. Probably a bit early for such tricks, but ... ...
So I think we're going to do it again Tuesday. Ride up with my daughter, she drops me off, the Girl takes me to my 2 week checkup and then we have the whole day and night and part of the next day till I get a ride back with my daughter on Wednesday.
Hopefully I get my staples out on Tuesday morning. They look gruesome and the image of them coming out is nasty but it turns out there's little to no pain and within minutes the whole knee relaxes and feels much better. Much, much better.
I did use the TSO or ESO cannabis oils while at the Girl's. Very helpful. Good pain relief (not all by any means) and excellent distraction from just about anything. Long lasting too.
Had a bunch of guff from the local pharmacy about refilling my prescription. Well, not refilling the one from the hospital, it was, as it should be, non-refillable. But the doctor had sent the pharmacy a new prescription and the pharmacist had a serious of ever weaker stories as to why he couldn't fill it. Started out it was too soon. I couldn't have that much Oxy in that short of time. I told him that was the doctor's decision, not his. He's not empowered to interpret the doctor's prescriptions. Then it changed to the insurance company wouldn't authorize the medications. Reasons. Finally, he relented but I had to pay cash. I'm taking it up with the Insurance. I have other issues with them and the various doctors, nurses, hospitals and pharmacies. And they seem interested in dealing with them. They are getting me set up with a new Primary Care consisting of an office with 4 doctors and staff, been there for years, not looking to change but are looking for new clients. As opposed to the one I have now with which I've had 8 or 9 difference PCGs (or whatever they are called) in about 32 months. Two of which I've never met. Three of which I've met once only. The other three have been good for the most part and one, the first one, was really good. Still, three decent doctors in less than three years is really not appropriate. So if I'm going to clean house, might as well do it all.

Otherwise, this one is going better than the first. For one thing I know what's coming, so a lot less anxiety. And it's just going better. Virtually no weeping from the incision, no really bad swelling. And I know better how to deal with hospital employees. Give them a chance to do what they are supposed to do, like hook me up to the CPM machine every 4 hours and increase the angle by 5 degrees. This is a machine they strap your leg into and it moves continuously in an elliptical arc, supposed to loosen up the knee. But they couldn't get it to work on a reliable basis, wouldn't go get another, didn't come when I called, etc. Or bringing me my pain meds on time. They get a chance to get it right on their own, they get a second chance once I remind them and then I call for the charge nurse and if she's not effective, call for the chief nurse or the administrator in charge of client relations. Plus I know the various exercises so I do those as I can. Actually made it up the stairs Tuesday night. And back down again, in full control.

Getting old quickly. But that's to be expected. Just glad I only have two knees.
Are we there yet?