Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Who gets to post memescape?

Topic: The future looks cool (Read 445 times) previous topic - next topic

• F X
  • The one and only
The future looks cool
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• MikeS
Re: The future looks cool
Reply #1
That's too cool, that new satellite can't transmit soon enough.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #2
I know!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #3
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #4
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #5
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #6
These new satellites will do it all.
https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES-16

Very precise lightning trackers, among other things.  Real time hurricane imaging, it's fucking awesome.
https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/20170214_GLM_ABI_meso_overlay_720p.mp4

They even track the sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=21807n8WHa0
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #7
In a completely unrelated but still awesome future is cool way, we watched the digitally restored Wizard of OZ last night. The movie looks so completely awesome now, it is beyond amazing.

― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #8
This can't happen fast enough

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3190409/sustainable-it/unsubsidized-wind-and-solar-now-the-cheapest-source-for-new-electric-power.html

:clap:

Especially the rooftops and parking lots covered with solar panels.  The idiocy of not using the sun as a power source has got to end.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #9
 :parrot:
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #10
These new satellites will do it all.
https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES-16

Very precise lightning trackers, among other things.  Real time hurricane imaging, it's fucking awesome.
https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/20170214_GLM_ABI_meso_overlay_720p.mp4

They even track the sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=21807n8WHa0
:unsure:

Lovely tech and all but given the hysterical quacks who will inevitably be in charge of interpreting the data it's not unlike giving a combo CT/PET/MRI suite to a hypochondriac.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #11
 :raisebrow:
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #12
Something I've learned in the last 9 years of researching climate change and weather, is that eventually the actual data is either published, leaked, or somebody figures out how to access it and make it available to anyone.  Toto pulls back the curtain, and that changes things.  Of course the fanatic or hard nosed capitalist will still want to spin things, but it becomes much harder when everybiody has an app on their phone that shows reality.

That shit, having mass access to data and reality, that changes things.  The dictator knows this, but the fanatic does not.

:parrot:
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #13

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #14

The sooner we have good measurements, the sooner we can actually figure out what is going on, and then try to figure out why.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #15
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
Reply #16
Do they have any sat images over Greece? It's nearing the end of October and we still have summer here. It's hot as hell.

In 1999 I remember basking in the sun on October 4th, wondering how it could be so warm that time of year. It seemed unreal then but 18 years later it's more-or-less normal.

I suspect that we'll be having hot and sunny Novembers and even Decembers as time goes on. It feels weird that there is so little investment in solar power in Greece, and instead people prefer to put their money on wind- Whose efficiency in Greece largely depends on the region and location, and usually works at intervals.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #17
Do they have any sat images over Greece? It's nearing the end of October and we still have summer here. It's hot as hell.

In 1999 I remember basking in the sun on October 4th, wondering how it could be so warm that time of year. It seemed unreal then but 18 years later it's more-or-less normal.

I suspect that we'll be having hot and sunny Novembers and even Decembers as time goes on. It feels weird that there is so little investment in solar power in Greece, and instead people prefer to put their money on wind- Whose efficiency in Greece largely depends on the region and location, and usually works at intervals.

That's weather not climate blah blah blah....

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #18
Do they have any sat images over Greece?
http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=fulldisk-13-24-0-100

Greece is near the edge of the disc (it is a geostationary sat)
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
Reply #19
 :no:
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #20
GOES-16, previously known as GOES-R,[4] is part of the Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES) system operated by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. It provides atmospheric and surface measurements of the Earth's Western Hemisphere
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOES-16

"disc" (or rather "disk") means the area it images.  As in "Infrared Imagery for Full Disk ", where "full disk" is the entire image of the planet we can view.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
Reply #21
Welp, Greece is not in that image. I don'teven think the Mediterranean is in there. :(

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #22
Oh.  Yep. 
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #23
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #24
― Mark Twain 🔭