Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: We didn't ban coberst.

Topic: Cat's on the way out with stage 3 kidney disease.  (Read 777 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cat's on the way out with stage 3 kidney disease.
Reply #25

Reply #26
Definitely in kidney failure territory now. Most counts have tripled just since December. 1-3 months but prognosticating cats is apparently difficult so :iiam:

Now we need to decide if we have to cancel our trip to Arizona this coming weekend.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #27
Our cat had to go in for a $450 surgery due to disputed territory with other neighborhood cats (2nd time in a couple years).  He's doing fine now but tested positive for FIV.  Not sure of the long term prognosis for that.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #28
Damn, brugrogrgrgrgrgrgorgfil, I'm sorry. Kidney failure fucking sucks. I hope she gets more time with you guys. :(

Reply #29
I'm sorry about your kitty, brgurgogrogigrgiflil. :(

At least she has enough of an appetite to eat Purina garbage and roast beef. Hoping the bloodwork has been steady and that she's feeling comfortable. Enjoy the cat snuggles.

BUN
December: 61
Now: 164

Creatinine
December: 3.4
Now: 9.4

Phosphorus:
December: "high-normal"
Now: 4x normal

Red Blood Cell:
December: 32
Now: 25 (anemia levels)

At this point the main thing is just getting her to eat, regardless of what it is. Wife is on her way to the vet to pick up some things to boost her potassium levels (which are really low) and some martazipan (sp?) to boost her appetite and lower her nausea.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #30
Yeah, yikes. Poor baby. :(

Mirtazapine can help. And it helps that you don't need to give it very often. Hopefully she'll enjoy her roast beef and other stinky food and be able to eat a bit more. Did they put her on aluminum hydroxide or anything else?

Reply #31
I don't know what the potassium medication is but I think it's just those two plus some sort gel to lower her phosphorus as well.

e: google results indicate that aluminum hydroxide is for reducing phosphorus so sounds like that's a yes. We've had her on k/d food for a couple of years, but since she isn't eating that we'll be feeding her whatever else she'll eat. My wife came up with the idea of trying kitten food since it'll likely be more appetizing plus higher calorie. Vet thought that was a decent idea with some potential drawbacks (higher proteins and phosphorous) but if she's eating, she's eating.
  • Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:40:07 PM by brugroffil

Reply #32

• ksen
Reply #33
 :hug:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #34
Yeah, at the emergency hospital, we used to use kitten/puppy food to entice patients that weren't eating. And in both places I've worked, we'd try baby food as well, usually the meat based ones. You can also try warming food up in the microwave a little bit first. Sometimes the extra heat makes it smellier and that extra smelliness can help overcome some nausea. It's tough to balance all of these things. The kidney formula is ideal but it's not all that appetizing even to a lot of the healthier cats, so if your vet thinks you may be at the point where getting calories in her is more important, then it's worth taking out the roast beef and other stuff.

• ksen
Reply #35
Is it possible to mix in some of the kidney food with the smelly food so at least he gets some of it?

Reply #36
Yeah, at the emergency hospital, we used to use kitten/puppy food to entice patients that weren't eating. And in both places I've worked, we'd try baby food as well, usually the meat based ones. You can also try warming food up in the microwave a little bit first. Sometimes the extra heat makes it smellier and that extra smelliness can help overcome some nausea. It's tough to balance all of these things. The kidney formula is ideal but it's not all that appetizing even to a lot of the healthier cats, so if your vet thinks you may be at the point where getting calories in her is more important, then it's worth taking out the roast beef and other stuff.

Our other cat eats canned food and it smells a ton but this cat's never shown any interest in canned food.
Is it possible to mix in some of the kidney food with the smelly food so at least he gets some of it?

I suppose it could be. The kidney food just has lower proteins and phosphorus to help keep those levels down, but at this point I don't know how important that really is since we're talking palliative care.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #37
Yeah, the special kidney diet is mainly formulated to be low protein (but still enough protein for an obligate carnivore to survive) and low phosphorus, so if you're mixing it with regular food that has higher levels of those things, it's kind of defeating the purpose. I mean, it'd technically be lower protein than feeding straight up over-the-counter wet food, but how much of a difference is that really making?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #38
This is heartbreaking, brugroffil.  It certainly sounds as if a crisis point, for you and the cat, is close. :(

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #39
Every time I open this thread, my big male tabby cat jumps up on me and demands ear-scratching.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #40
Mine's been snoring in the chair beside me, draped over my arm,

Also drooling.

Reply #41
She actually ate some fancy feast wet food and her medication tonight and was slightly more perky

Reply #42
Aww.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #43
Just cancelled our trip. She was looking a little bit better yesterday morning, but last night and today again she's in bad shape and not really eating at all.

Reply #44
My sympathy
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #45
You won't regret staying home.   :hug:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #46
:(

I'm sorry. Hoping she turns another corner and starts getting her appetite back. Thinking of you and your little furball kitty.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #47
Me too. Cats are one of life's comforting little mysteries, amazing little obligate carnivores that live in our homes and grant us the pleasure of their acquaintance.

• ffejrxx
Reply #48
if your cat gets picky about foods, try some babyfoods
(no onions, onion powder or caffeine)

Reply #49
rip in peace johnni :(